Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Urgent news

John,

Very sorry to hear about this tragedy for you and your neighbors. #Thankfully you, your wife, and your dog got out. #Everything else is replaceable. #Best of luck you you and your family as you rebuild.
    MLT
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra
    Classical Mandolin Society of America
    Labraid Cytole

My thoughts are with you... I wish you and your family the best of luck in starting things anew...

John , I am so sorry to hear this news. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Here's to back to building soon.
    Stanley Cox

Great Granpas are just Antique little boys.

Pick up a STORM

John,

Shalom.

John, I am sorry to hear this news although I am thankful to know you made it out with what is important. God Bless you, your family and neighbors.

Hey John, like everyone has said...you saved the important stuff, you can always make more mandos...

What a terrible loss, John! I'm really sorry. One good thing is that a lot of your fine mandolins weren't at home at the time because we were enjoying them elsewhere.
    Best wishes.

I am terribly sorry to hear of your loss. I wish I had more than my thoughts to share for your continued recovery. May you and your wife rejoice in the hope of the future and the love you share currently.
    I have at times thought about what I would do if threatened by fire or other natural disaster ( I live in an area in Indiana that is frequented by tornados ). I think I will follow your example and grab hold of the most important things and "MOVE OUT" as fast as I can.
    Success to you and your wife in the continuing recovery.
    Agape, Eric

Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

My thoughts are with you and your neighbors. Even though it's a tragic loss, it's at least good to hear you and your family are safe. Best of luck to you.

here's some info from the Idaho Statesman on what we can do to help the victims, there's also some information on how to donate online here

here's a few local links that tell more about the disaster

KTVB.com

Idaho Statesman

Wes
    "i gotta fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

'87 Flatiron A5-JR/'25 Gibson A-JR

John,

Do you have a mailing adress ?

Jeff

kestrel

Hey, everybody - that includes all you somewhat silent Cafe members - Yonkle just lost everything! The well wishes, good thoughts, and prayers, are all well and good, but those things just don't feed the proverbial bulldog. Yes, they did get out with the main thing - their lives - but there's a whole lot more to life than just breathing and being. They've lost much of their lives: memories; documentation that they have lived; photos; keepsakes... Nobody can replace those, but I do think we could help make it easier for them to tolerate the loss of those things.

I just called my bank to see if there was any way that I could open an account in JD's name, with the idea of then asking all of you to send a check to that account. Can't be done, I was told - 9/11, and all that. Boy 9/11 sure has become a catchall for anything we didn't have an excuse for, before.

Anyway, I figure there's got to be something that we can do, so I'm proposing that each and everyone of us sit down and write a check for twenty-dollars (which I have already done) to John (Yonkle) Dickinson, and we mail it to Scott - or somebody of his appointing - to be forwarded to John.

Twenty-measly-bucks: You can't buy a case of decent beer, or a bottle of single malt for twenty-bucks. I've read discussions, here on the forum, of people willing to spend more than five-times that much, just to go to one concert. Twenty-bucks isn't much to any one of us, but if only 500 of us would forego one case of beer, one bottle of malt, sit back a few rows at one BG concert, we could surely help make our fellow Cafe Memember's (our fellow human's) climb back somewhat easier.

Scott - can something like this be done? I would certainly be willing to get a P.O. Box to use as a gathering place, but think it would be a better idea to have the Cafe handle it.

What say the rest of you?

Gene
    Kestrel Mandolins

Registered User Tracy Ballinger's Avatar

My idea (and I already emailed John with questions) was (a)if he has a PayPal account (b) what stores they frequent so we could send gift cards and © what address we could use to send things to.

=o) Waiting on his reply.

Can't do much from Ohio, but I'm trying!

Tracy

John, I am so sorry to hear of the devastating loss, I have known others in your situation. I agree with Gene, we need to help,if, when, and where we can. I have had friends that lost their homes to tornadoes and it's the little things that they all say they miss the most. I wish you the best luck of all through all the hardship!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

What a hoorible thing to have happen. I hope you can rebuild soon, and have an even better house and shop.
    Living’ in the Mitten

John, I've enjoyed your many posts and pictures on the builders forum over the past few years. Your loss is a real tragedy but my prayers are with you and I agree that good will come out of this in the end. I am awaiting word on whether a fund will be established that we can make contributions to.

Thoughts & prayers to you, your family, neighbors, and community.
    -john

Very sorry to hear of your experience.

Love and light from Ireland.
    Mando: Weber Bitteroot

My God. I am so sorry to hear of this. You and your neighbors are in my thoughts.

Pete
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

Wow, things can happen so fast. My prayers are with you and thankful the family is OK.
    This puts things in perspective. You've got your mandolin family here to help.
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

It's times like this that make us realize how petty the minor issues I have from day to day really are. John, I have an extra stanley #5, and some other tools I could round up when you get to that point.

Somebody needs to get an address (or set up a paypal account) for him so we can send funds. I'd be happy to help arrange the paypal or assist in the manner in any way, although it would probably be better for someone closer to his location to do so. Let us know what you need, ASAP, and keep us up to date.

Closet Mandolin Player Mark Walker's Avatar

John - ditto what everyone else has said. #Material things aside, you're still blessed with your, your wife's and pet's lives, and that's to be thankful for. #The generosity of neighbors, townspeople, and those individuals who know you, know of you, and who all care about you and yours will always surpass that of a 'benevolent #government!' #Truly you're blessed!

If the efforts to help you out monetarily via support from Cafe' members pans out (still awaiting firm input from Scott) via PayPal or whatever, count me in.

Hang in there; we're all rooting for you.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize how ignorant I truly am..."

John,i am truly sorry to hear of your plight. I sent a rather urgent e-mail to my strap making friend in Florida,John Brown,just after the recent Hurricane struck, to find out if he,his wife & home were ok - praise God they were.
    Apart from loosing a loved one,the loss of one's home must be the severest of trials. I am so glad that you & your family escaped unhurt & pray that you'll come through this
    terrible time & be able to rebuild your lives,
    Saska
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Hey Folks,

Christopher Ryan Jones here -- I don't post to often on here but I do keep up with whats going on the board. As many of you might have read my friend John Dickinson (Yonkle) of Dickinson Mandolins, had a very tramatic situation in the last 24 hours with the loss of his home. John's been going through a lot over the last few months in order to start building mandolins full time -- and he really builds a wonderful sounding mandolin. Now he is left with nothing at all.

Not to go into alot of details, but I know John can use all the support and help he can right now. (Who wouldn't after losing there home) I have never lost a home and can not imagine how horrific this experience must be. For everything you've worked so hard for -- for 20 years -- to be gone in 20 minutes. It's truly heart breaking.

I know that since John will be starting over completely now. And with the permission of Scott and the guys here -- I'd like to encourage the mandolin community -- that John loves to dearly -- to help out all they can.

If you are interested in helping John out in any way, please email me at christopher@christopherryanjones.com
    I know John doesn't have a computer any longer and is not able to get online as often as he use to.

Also be sure to keep him and his wife in your prayers.

Thank you all for your time.

All The Best,
    Christopher Ryan Jones

Very sorry for your loss. News like this puts everyone's own live's into perspective. We're all wishing you and your family a speedy recovery.
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

"I Never Wanted To Be A Barber. I Always Wanted To Be A Lumberjack !"

John, It just goes to show that you never really know what lies around the corner for you do you? I wish you the very best and I'm so glad that you and your family did not get hurt. Take care and hang in there.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45