Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Purchasing a bandolim or cavaquinho?

Default Re: Purchasing a bandolim or cavaquinho?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I finally broke down and bought a bandolim. This one was built in 1998 by Manoel Andrade of São Paulo. It took me awhile to get it playable -- I was not aware how these things were set up but with some good advise from some wise North American bandolimists and a loan of two sets of Rouxinol silk and steel strings (thanks, Linda!), I am on my way.
    Congratulations, Jim!

I'm puzzled, though. You broke down and bought a bandolim... but it took you awhile to get it playable. I recall you posting about this instrument, I think, or, porssibly you emailed me.

Have you had it a while, parts on the floor, and just gotten it playable enough to actually play it? Or did you lurk, negotiating setup with the seller, and then finally, just now, pull the trigger?

When will it be playable? And when will you be able to give us your impressions?
    Doug Hoople
    Adult-onset Instrumentalist (or was that addled-onset?)

No, Doug... perhaps I am a little confusing AND confused. On post #82 is my exploded bandolim which I bought rather cheaply on eBay. It has the name of a Rio music store on it and looks decently made, of Brazilian rosewood, probably 20-30 years ago. I will likely get that put back together some time.

In the meantime, after a rather convoluted bunch of circumstances not worth going into at this time, I bought the Andrade above. I guess it is an early one of his. So, I have two, but only one is playable at the moment. I spent recent days trying to set it up so it felt good playing it and finally with the Rouxinols it sounds and played pretty good. Sorry for the confusion.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Congrats on your purchase Jim! Looks awesome. Post some sound clips when you can.

JR

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I finally broke down and bought a bandolim. This one was built in 1998 by Manoel Andrade of São Paulo.
    Cool! I have one of his bandolims as well.

Mine was originally ordered by Peter Mix, and eventually changed hands a couple times until I got it. It's perfectly setup, and plays beautifully. The bone bridge contributes a lot to the sound, and I run Ti's on it.

Larry

Mine belonged to Marilynn Mair. I had emailed her about her new method book and she just mentioned she had this one which she was no longer playing much since she got a new bandolim. She said she used this one on her CD Meu Bandolim.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Larry: Ours were built in the same year. Is yours rosewood or maple back and sides? Also: it looks like you have a different bridge on yours with some compensation. I have the original bridge with mine as well as a thicker one that Marilynn had made. neither are compensated.

So far I have tried two different string sets. Marilynn uses Savarez Argentine. When I first got the the strings were very old, so I changed them to close the same gauge as both the Savarez and the Rouxinol (Brazilian) string -- some D'Addario J-62s which is what I had on hand. My friend Linda Binder sent me a couple of sets of the Rouxinols which are silk and steel and the sound is much different. So far I like it tho it does seem a little hare to intonate it properly. I am not 100% sure if the zero fret is set right -- it sort of angles on the bass side.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I don't know if anyone is looking for a bandolim, but this top-of-the-line, handcrafted GSBM5-EL is available from Amazon at what looks to be a seriously low price. I hope there is not a catch. but it is being sold by Amazon, not one of their affiliated sellers.

Let us know if anyone buys one. It looks like 2 are left.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I think they put the laminated price on the handmade instrument; it's since been fixed - it's still on sale, but it's not $1000 off anymore. I wonder if they will honor the original advertised price.

Man, I was almost going to buy one just to have but I realized that I have two bandolims that need fixing and the money would prob be better spent there. Oh well. The price is still pretty decent.

I wonder if someone tried to buy it and was told that that was not the price.

Then again the model GBSM3 EL is still at a rock bottom price, well below the acoustic only model. Grab it while you can.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I got the Giannini top of the line Cavaquinho on Amazon about 12 months ago for $680 and now they are $950+. Even at that price, it's a great instrument! Better than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Baskervils View Post
    I got the Giannini top of the line Cavaquinho on Amazon about 12 months ago for $680 and now they are $950+. Even at that price, it's a great instrument! Better than I expected.
    Actually, that GCSM10 Cavaquinho is currently $852.00.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Actually, that GCSM10 Cavaquinho is currently $852.00.
    Ah, I got the EL (which is worth the extra $100, w the pick up / tuner.

I see this is an old thread, but I'm new to the forum. I have a cavaquinho that my wife brought back from a trip to Brazil last year. It is a Tok's brand cavaquinho that cost her about $100US to purchase while she was there. Admittedly, I don't know much about playing it yet, but it seems to have a nice sound to it and it came with a pickup already installed. Tok's might be an answer for those looking for the inexpensive end of the spectrum.

Actually I just bought as used Rozini cavaquinho professional model rosewood laminated B&S. It also has a built-in tuner/pickup the tune works fine but I have yet to try the pickup. Pretty nice for an inexpensive instrument. Now I just have to learn to play it. I think I would like to keep the tuning to the trad dgbd as opposed to the top 4 strings of guitar one octave up.

I think I would concentrate on the rhythm aspects of this instrument and use the bandolim for melody.

OneFineBob: Check out youtube. There are quite a few cavaquinho players who demonstrate various rhythms.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	176.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	73208  
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Jun-11-2011 at 12:58pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Jim - I've seen some of the videos. They are amazing! I picked up a DVD course on the instrument from Brazil - I can't speak the language, but I can read the music/tab and follow the video. I'm looking forward to learning!

Quote Originally Posted by OneFineBob View Post
    Jim - I've seen some of the videos. They are amazing! I picked up a DVD course on the instrument from Brazil - I can't speak the language, but I can read the music/tab and follow the video. I'm looking forward to learning!
    I can recommend Marcos Dupra's beginning and intermediate cavaquinho DVDs. Good lessons. Honest guy. DVDs work on US computers.

http://www.professordecavaquinho.blogspot.com/

17. The following members say thank you to Baskervils for this post:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Giannini-GCSM-10...41074010751562

This handcrafted Giannini Cavaquinho is up on eBay for a great price as of 7/18/11. I have 2 of these and it's an amazing deal.

I just received this "bandolim kit" in the mail today. It is marked from a well-known music store in Rio, Casa Oliveira. It looks like it was a little more than a tourist model -- looks like decent quality -- no laminates, as far as I can tell. The neck is nice mahogany and finished quite nicely and the spruce(?) top wood also looks like in perfect shape. The tuner buttons are gone but I actually have a set that will fit or I can replace the buttons. There are some nice details such as herringbone binding around the edge and some decorative lining the fretboard and the headstock.It also has a nice bone bridge. The worst part is the back which has multiple cracks and one half is split off altogether. OTOH it looks like beautiful Brazilian rosewood and would not be so hard to fix esp since it is pretty much apart already.

I was trying to see if there was a way to get in touch with someone at that store which evidently still is in business and find out something about this bandolim. In any case, I know it is prob no Batista or Ribiero but might be a decent starter instrument.
    I got this bandolim back from my luthier and she did a great job. I cannot even tell if where the separation was on the back. it plays nicely and I have a feeling once it settles in with some playing and slight adjustment would be nice instrument.

Here is what it looked like before:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oliveira_ft_sm.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	74606   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oliveira_label.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	74607   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oliveira_bk_swm.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	74608  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oliveira_hdstk_sm.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	74609   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oliveira_det_sm.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	74610  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: