Thread: Red allen

I want to see or hear some live recordings by Red Allen and the kentuckians.Where can i find some?

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

I would highly reccomend The Folkways Years as one of the best collections of Red Allen (and Frank Wakefield) out there.
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

The classic Folkways recording with Red Allen, Frank Wakefield and the Kentuckians can surely be found on Amazon... newly reissued and remastered and one of my favorite albums of "real" bluegrass of all time. Oh yeah, and Wakefield is at his best here... outstanding banjo as well by Pete Kuykendall and Bill Keith - how can ya lose? I believe a young man named David Grisman was involved in the production of this bluegrass classic.

I can't think of many live recordings, and you probably already have the LP's on County and Folkways. But don't forget the J.D. Crowe and the Kentucky Mountain Boys "Bluegrass Holiday", originally on Lemco if I'm not mistaken.

Red was the best...great range(lead or tenor), lots of emotion, unusual turns and inflections, and GREAT material:

Down Where the River Bends, Teardrops from My Eyes, Whose Shoulder Will You Cry On, Are You Washed in the Blood, Philadelphia Lawyer, You Go to Your Church and I'll Go To Mine, Little Girl of Mine in Tennesee, Roustabout...

I've gotta go put them on again! Good luck with your quest and I hope there are live recordings that surface. "Kitchen Tapes" was live in the kitchen...

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Yeah, I forgot about The Kitchen Tapes, that's tops on my list too. #David Grisman said listening to Frank Wakefield on that recording was like listening to an encylopedia of bluegrass mandolin playing.

2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

I am a massive Red Allen fan and have everything he ever recorded, I think. The only "live" is the Kitchen Tapes on ACD (Grisman's label). It's live in the kitchen, not for an audience. You should also try to find a copy of the book "Teardrops in My Eyes -- the Red Allen story" from a few years ago. There were problems getting it published (publisher died during production, I believe) so it's hard to find. Uneven but fascinating -- like the Man himself.

Quote Originally Posted by (mandopete @ Sep. 03 2008, 20:05)
    I would highly reccomend #The Folkways Years as one of the best collections of Red Allen (and Frank Wakefield) out there.
    I'll also toss in my $.02 worth of praise for this CD - it is really a must have for any bluegrass lover.

I also really liked the 1966 County LP Bluegrass Country 2 when Grisman replaced Wakefield on mandolin and sang baritone on some of the trios. That was my first exposure to Grisman as a player, and I played that record a lot. Not live on stage, but "live in the studio."

I still have the vinyl, but I think all or most of it is available on a couple of reissues of the County/Rebel/Melodeon stuff:

Keep on Going

Lonesome and Blue

Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

I have a few live recordings of Red Allen, Frank Wakefield and the Kentuckians (on cd). Most of the recordings aren't of great quality, but they're great to hear nonetheless. Marsha Sprintz, Frank's friend, has been working at putting a lot of the recordings he has onto cd. If you want to send me a PM, I can put you in touch w/ either Frank or Marsha so you can work out some way of getting them. If Frank happens to be playing any shows near you, they're selling some of them at the merchandise tent.

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

Quote Originally Posted by (Paul Kotapish @ Sep. 05 2008, 14:38)
    Not live on stage, but "live in the studio."
    That's a really good point. Like all of early BG until the mid-60's and longer with low-budget recording projects, what you hear is what they played! #Directly to mono or (gasp!) stereo tape. Some echo could be added (which ruined some good Stanley Bros. material on King and Mercury, and Red Allen's project with JD Crowe "Bluegrass Holiday") but no over-dubbing, fixing up breaks etc. #The Folkways, Starday and County projects definitely have an immediacy similar to live recording.

I just mentioned "Bluegrass Holiday" -- Red is in tremendous voice but the band wanted to go in a different direction (Red -> Doyle/Larry -> Tony). Too bad about the reverb but Red really nails it on this one. It's been re-issued by Rebel Records with 4 extra tracks that originally appeared on King Bluegrass, including Red doing Lester "Someday We'll Meet Again Sweetheart" -- wow!

Thanks guys.This forum is awsome.

http://www.candlewater.com/ra2/FrankWak.html

There are a few live tidbits on this site. #There are also some recordings with Jimmy Martin

Count me in as a huge Redhead as well.

I believe the two records he made on County: one with Grisman, and the other with Wayne Yates playing mandolin, along with some singles were released on 2 CDs a couple of years ago. I'm not sure of the titles, but I'm sure they could be found at County Sales...

Default Re: Red allen

Pretty all of this stuff is on my non ITunes music service (there are three that are about the sam, not endorsing one over the other). I love reading these discussions while listening to the tunes your talking about. Thanks folks. I'm sure what else might have prompted me to listen to these albums.

Quote Originally Posted by flatthead View Post
    Count me in as a huge Redhead as well.

I believe the two records he made on County: one with Grisman, and the other with Wayne Yates playing mandolin, along with some singles were released on 2 CDs a couple of years ago. I'm not sure of the titles, but I'm sure they could be found at County Sales...
    County 704 & 710. Real "Red heads" refer to them by their serial numbers alone.

I just finished reading "Teardrops in my Eyes" on my way back from the Monroe camp in Owensboro. You could get it from the International Bluegrass Museum there. The author, Dennis Satterlee was there and even autographed a bunch of copies. Not great literature but a terrific read.

Another big fan here!
    Actually, there are several live and radio shows circulating among collectors (as yours truly) other than the Kitchen Tapes. Here's what I remember...

- 3 sets from Berkshire Mountain BGF in 1976,
    - Several 1963 radio shows with Wakefield in the band
    - 1968 Live show with JD Crowe & Kentucky Mountain Boys
    - 1966 Radio Show with David Grisman in the band
    - 1963 Live Show recorded in Germantown (the one on Jim Moss' site)

And then there's a neat early 1967 recording of an informal live session with Allen, Buzz Busby, Buck Ryan, George Shuffler, Bill Emerson, Al Butcher & more...
    Unfortunately, none of these shows have been made commercially available.
    Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Matteo View Post
    I think I have this one somewhere, on cassette tape recorded off the radio. As I recall, this was a live radio show done for WKCR (Columbia University). Red is funny -

Red: 'Now, little David, come on over here and say something to the people.'
    Dawg: 'Well, uh...'
    Red: 'That's enough!'

They do Love Come Home in B chord, with Grisman 'Pup' licks

Ive got a tape somewhere of Red and Harley along with Crowe that I believe was recorded at Frontier Ranch in Columbus Ohio not long before Reds death. Great music and Red was in fine form with his one liners. One story I always liked was how Harley was always complaining about his crooked teeth and if Red would had stayed home more while he was growing up he might have been able to get braces...Red would always come back "Hell Harley..If I would have stayed home more you wouldnt have had any &%$! teeth. Huh Harley.

I was fortunant to be able to play Reds last show at a little club in Dayton...The Canal Street Tavern...I would have never thought by his performance that night it would be his last.

I know the Dr. told him to take a drink before he went to bed each night...one night he said he went to be 17 times...

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    I think I have this one somewhere, on cassette tape recorded off the radio. As I recall, this was a live radio show done for WKCR (Columbia University). Red is funny -

Red: 'Now, little David, come on over here and say something to the people.'
    Dawg: 'Well, uh...'
    Red: 'That's enough!'

They do Love Come Home in B chord, with Grisman 'Pup' licks
    Yeah, I have that too. It was Pete Wernick's show. He sounded pretty star-struck having Red in the studio.

Quote Originally Posted by Matteo View Post
    Another big fan here!
    Actually, there are several live and radio shows circulating among collectors (as yours truly) other than the Kitchen Tapes. Here's what I remember...

- 3 sets from Berkshire Mountain BGF in 1976,
    - Several 1963 radio shows with Wakefield in the band
    - 1968 Live show with JD Crowe & Kentucky Mountain Boys
    - 1963 Live Show recorded in Germantown (the one on Jim Moss' site)

And then there's a neat early 1967 recording of an informal live session with Allen, Buzz Busby, Buck Ryan, George Shuffler, Bill Emerson, Al Butcher & more...
    Unfortunately, none of these shows have been made commercially available.
    Matt.
    Matteo....I love Buzz and Red! Is there any way to track down that recording? Happy to trade.

Quote Originally Posted by poymando View Post
    Matteo....I love Buzz and Red! Is there any way to track down that recording? Happy to trade.
    I do too! Of course we could trade...drop me a line.
    Matt.

How can i get some of these great recordings poymando?

I'd be interested, also. I have some good trade stuff.

Wow, great list of Red recordings, good work all. Makes me want to add this to the list:

Not a strictly live recording but a good one anyway-The Osborn Brothers and Red Allen-Rounder Records Special Series 03 (31259), contains Teardrops In My Eyes, Who Done It? and She's No Angel all with Red on lead vocal along with a great version Ruuuuuuubeeeee by you know who.

Very cool picture on the cover of Red, Sonny and Bobby on the cover around one mic with Bobby playing a Fern.