Thread: Thomastik-infeld strings

Anybody out there used the Thomastik-infeld Mandolin strings? Flatwound, sounds interesting, but $40 a set? Or used any other flat-wound string?

Just curious. Don't want to get another which string thread going, but curious specifically about these and other flatwound strings.

I just started using them early this year after buying a used Collings MT which came strung with the T-I's. First, let me say that I'm not a working musician and only play as a hobby, maybe 6 or 8 hours a week and once in a while I go to a festival and jam a good bit. Anyway, what I liked about the T-I strings was the soft, comfortable feel and the really warm tone they produce. What I didn't like was the lower volume as compared to the D'Addario J-74's that I have used for a long time, so I took the T-I's off the MT and replaced them with the J-74's. Well, guess what? I really missed that warm tone and soft feel, so I bought a new set of T-I's and put them on. I have other mandolins which are strung with J-74's and satisfy my need for that great powerful sound that they help to produce, so I will leave the T-I's on the MT. I've noticed that the T-I's have not tarnished at all yet(since March 1), and they still sound as good as when first installed. I paid about $32 for the set(Elderly Instruments), which is at least 5 times the cost of the J-74's. Will they last 5 times longer? It looks like that could be the case, but I'll need to give it more time to see. I'm sure you'll get some more replies to your inquiry. Just thought I'd let you know how I feel about the T-I's, so far.

You may want to check out La Bella flatwounds, they're cheaper than TIs, and you still get a wound A string (on some).

Also, JazzMando flatwounds are good too. They are made by La Bella, and I think they are like $15.25 from JazzMando

Blog Entries

I have used TIs and JazzMando JM-11 strings. #I don't know for sure if the TIs are worth that much more to me than the JM-11s just for a wound A string. #Like Harpoon, I'm no working musician. #The JM11s last long so do the TIs. #Both are very comfortable, both have no "swoosh" noise as you slide up and down the neck. And I really like the darker warmer sound from them. I really like them on my oval hole mandolins (Eastman arch top, Spira cant top)

Just my opinion. #I like them both. #See threads in the #

I have some TIs lights to put on a bowl back. #If Ted had a light set made of the Labella JM11s I would buy those instead.Equipment section on strings with plenty on Thomastik thrown in there.

Jamie

EDIT: I seem to have cross posted with pogogamwich.

There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I tried a set of the mediums earlier this year on my flattop. HATED the six wound strings, and took them off after an hour or two of playing. LOVED the plain E strings-- best top strings I've ever tried by far.

I realise lots of folks have responded differently to these strings. If anyone around Vancouver has been wanting to try them, PM me and I'll pass on the nearly-new wound strings I removed.

BC

If the price makes you hesitate, take note that they last several times longer than normal strings. Longer than Elixirs even.

They were all I would use for a while. I'm using Elixirs right now because it's a little cheaper and I have come to like the Elixirs a lot...I hate the plain steel A strings though which makes me miss the Thomastiks.

Thanks for the response! Have you found that the wound A string sits down in the nut OK without being higher off the fretboard? Excuse my ignorance. I don't know if it is that much larger than a steel A, but seems like it would have to be. Maybe I'll try the JM-11's first. the flatwound just seems appealing. I'm pretty much a newgrass/bluegrass picker. Don't know about the lower volume and "Warmer" tone. I currently use Elixers cause I don't have to change strings as much. i play probably 2+ hours a day, but twice a week I have 3 to 4 hour band practices. long lasting, comfortable strings are a necessity.

let me start by saying they are worth the money as mentioned before. they do last, they do feel great, a bit like a violin string, they do have a very true tone and response. but they do produce less overall volume, they are strange to get used to and when you decide to change them you kinda miss'em. i've only tried mediums but i will try heavies in the future.. worth a try..
    mandolinosoarus rex

I have TI's on my Givens f-hole A. I agree with all the positive comments above, plus they stay in tune longer for me. I like the warm sound indoors but they don't seem to carry and cut as well outdoors in jams.
    mandomurph

Joyful pickin'!

I'm on my second Breedlove mandolin, and on both I've found TI starks (heavies) to be near ideal. I just put a set on my Cascade a couple of hours ago, & the tuning already seems settled down to stability. I tried a few types of bronze on the other one, & they didn't cut it. The JM11's are okay, if you don't need the wound A, but I prefer it wound. Either lasts enough longer to justify the price.
    I don't use TI's on every mandolin, I have GHS bronze on my bowl back & my flat back. My opinion is, you have to find the right strings for each instrument.

Elrod
    Gibson A2 1920(?)
    Breedlove Cascade
    Washburn 215(?) 1906-07(?)
    Victoria, B&J, New York(stolen 10/18/2011)
    Eastwood Airline Mandola

guitars:
    Guild D-25NT
    Vega 200 archtop, 1957?

Quote Originally Posted by
    Have you found that the wound A string sits down in the nut OK without being higher off the fretboard? #Excuse my ignorance. #I don't know if it is that much larger than a steel A, but seems like it would have to be.
    They sit fine in the nut. #They are actually smaller than typical steel A strings believe it or not--most of the common sets of mando strings use .15 or .16 steel As, Thomastik mittle wound As are .14....15 on the heavy set, .13 on the light, I think.

By the way I have at some times averaged as much as 6-8 hours a day of practice on mandolin, and that was one reason I used the Thomastiks--any normal set would be dead within about one day's practice session, the plain steel strings before that even. Plain steel As die ridiculously fast which is one great thing about using wound As. Another is that they sound about ten times better and don't buzz all the time.

Just a caution: wound A's core wire is quite a bit smaller, thinner than the E
    so trying for volume by vigorous picking may mean the string life is short ,
    ie can break .
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I've yet to have that problem with TI heavies.
    I realized after my post that I hadn't mentioned the nut slot non problem, as Alex Fields said, they've always fit just fine.
    Elrod
    Gibson A2 1920(?)
    Breedlove Cascade
    Washburn 215(?) 1906-07(?)
    Victoria, B&J, New York(stolen 10/18/2011)
    Eastwood Airline Mandola

guitars:
    Guild D-25NT
    Vega 200 archtop, 1957?

I use the heavies(154ST). I use them on a few mandolins, including a teens Gibson A. They give me a comfortable feel and a they enhance the already warm tone of the old Gibson. More importantly to me, the total tension on the top is considerably less than a set J74's. The TI heavies have a total top tension of 151.4 lbs, as opposed to the J74's, which total up to 181.6 lbs. I feel that the top of the Gibson will be better off not being stressed any more than necessary, yet I still get good volume. I also use the TI's on an Old Wave oval, which, to my ear, was actually a little too bright-sounding with the J74's on it. The TI's really mellowed it out---super sweet!

i use them on my mid-missouri m-4. to my ear they have a smoother, mellower tone - ideal for a folk/classical sound. i don't imagine they'd be suitable for the bluegrass bark that some prefer. i concur with others about them lasting longer.

I use them on my mandocello; I also play bowed strings so I HAD to use flatwound. They last forever it seems. However, I have gotten to using LaBella flatwounds on my top 2 courses because they are cheaper and those 4 strings I do change more often. I don't know if there is a difference in sound for mandolin; there doesn't seem to be TOO much of one for cello--they speak a little louder but still play the same way. Yvonne
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

I'm currently trying them on my Phil Davidson flat top. The tone is great, but quite honestly I hate the smooth feel.

Fliss

Quote Originally Posted by (harpoon @ Sep. 07 2008, 10:09)
    I use the heavies(154ST). I use them on a few mandolins, including a #teens Gibson A. They give me a comfortable feel and a they enhance the already warm tone of the old Gibson. More importantly to me, the total tension on the top is considerably less than a set J74's. The TI heavies have a total top tension of 151.4 lbs, as opposed to the J74's, which total up to 181.6 lbs. I feel that the top of the Gibson will be better off not being stressed any more than necessary, yet I still get good volume. I also use the TI's on an Old Wave oval, which, to my ear, was actually a little too bright-sounding with the J74's on it. The TI's really mellowed it out---super sweet!
    Thank you for that info!

i've got a '22 A and a '17 A1 and you've told me exactly what i wanted to know regarding the effect of the TI's on these mandos

i've been pretty happy with the J74's on my Givens A3
    but i will probably try the 154ST's on it also
    but
    not 'till after IBMA

i'm already a beginner
    don't want to be a pariah too

Default Re: Thomastik-infeld strings

I put a set of TI starks (heaveys) on my Goldrush a little over 5 months ago. They are still going strong. I kept thinking that when they get old I will use up my other sets of EXP 74's & 77's and Elixir's. But I've gotten so use to the TI's that now I'm thinking I better order another set of them to put back on. I probably get more volume with the others but I think I'm getting pretty decent volume with the TI's. I love the tone and feel. I think I'm about ready to change them out especially sense I did break one of the wound A's at gig just the other day. Playing a little too hard I guess along with their age. I have a miss matched pair on there right now. One wound & one not. Another thing I've noticed is on the EXP's & Elixirs my D strings tend to get worn notches on them over nearly every fret after about 2 or 3 weeks of heavey playing. Doesn't happen on the TI's.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

I put some TIs on my flattop and couldn't believe how much I disliked them. I took them off after about a week and will likely never buy anymore. It was a major let down for me, since I'd heard so many rave about them. The main thing is that they were really quiet and seemed to kill the tonal characteristics of my mandolin that I like so much. They just seemed to make it sound dead and lifeless. I could have bought 5 or 6 sets of D'Aquistos (which is just about my favorite string) for the price of one set of TIs. YMMV.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandomurph View Post
    I have TI's on my Givens f-hole A. I agree with all the positive comments above, plus they stay in tune longer for me. I like the warm sound indoors but they don't seem to carry and cut as well outdoors in jams.
    I concur. Sweet in indoor settings, pretty but silent outside.
    "Nobody roots for Goliath." Wilt Chamberlain

I used TI's as my main string...I will say they last a long time and Ted has the best price I've seen on these...they are very easy on the fingers, though the volume in quieter...but I play either plugged in or with just a guitar player.
    However, recently I've been digging D'Addarios mainly due to the volume, but I heard a gig I did with TI's and it sounded awesome!
    Don't know what to tell you...try 'em and see...
    PeacE
    Brian