Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How To Post An Image

M@ñdº|¡ñ - M@ñdºce||º Keith Erickson's Avatar

Default Re: How To Post An Image

Saska, I followed your instruction and it seems to have worked!!! Thank you for all of your assistance!!!
    Keith Erickson
    Benevolent Organizer of The Mandocello Enthusiast

Hi Keith - Glad to have been of help (however indirect). The work that Jamie,Dan & Mike put in only proves just how much they care about the 'Cafe & it's members. No half measures with those guys,you get the 'real deal',a rarity these days,
    Saska
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    Also, if you have already uploaded a photo in a previous thread the software won't let you re-upload it. This saves on server space. You will get an upload error message that shows what thread you loaded the picture into.
    Jamie
    This is really strange. I tried to use a picture that I had posted to a previous thread. I couldn't find that picture again, so I saved it from the Cafe onto my PC, and changed the name. When I tried to post it to the new thread, the forum software knew it already had that picture, even with a different name!

I went back to where the original picture was, right clicked on it, and copied the properties. Went back to the new thread and posted the link to the pic. Now it put a thumbnail on my post, but it's not "enlargeable".

Anyone figure out how to do this? There is a wealth of useful photos on old threads-- it seems like there should be a way we can link to them from more than one thread. It wouldn't take any extra server space, since the pic is only in one place.

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

I found out a little more about this: if you go to an image in a previous post, expand the thumbnail to big size, copy its properties, and link to that in the new post, it will work, but it doesn't do the thumbnail thing.

Here's the original thread, and here's the new thread with the linked image.

What happened to Scott's post?
    Bill Snyder

In the past i have attached an image of an Allen tailpiece to a post. Recently i attached 2 images (the same ones) of Allen tailpieces to another post - no problem. Today,i tried to attach an image of an Intelli IPM-100 Tuner to a post & failed,presumably because i'd used it before. But if i've been able to use the Allen images twice,why not the Intelli image ???,very puzzling,
    Saska
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Post Re: How To Post An Image

I've uploaded the image. How do I get it as an avatar? I have Safari 4.0.4
    Thanks,
    Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dawgmando.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	49462  

Blog Entries

Avatar sizes are 100 x 100 pixels. Since this is rectangular how about I edit and add it for you this time. You can change it or removed it in the future through your User CP (Control Panel) here under the "Edit Avatar" section.

Blog Entries

I see you've figured it out. Here's a different version of that. Just right-click, download to your desktop and upload are your avatar if you wish.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

How do you get thumbnails?

Blog Entries

When images are uploaded to the server for a post, it does this for you on the fly. You don't have to do anything. When the image resides on another server (non mandolincafe.com address) and you provide the instructions for it to be displayed here, it doesn't provide a thumbnail.

Couldn't find a paperclip with either "Go Advanced" or "Post Reply" - I've followed Ivan's solution and have a paperclip with this post but not with the original post I was trying to attach an image to - (within Social Groups) - yes, I've been out and reloaded. Any ideas? Using Safari by the way.
    Ray

Edit - neither does it work with Firefox
    Last edited by Ray(T); Feb-12-2010 at 5:33am. Reason: Further info

Blog Entries

Uploading of images isn't a supported function for Social Groups. You can link to existing pictures anywhere, just not upload them. This is part of the design of the software, not a purposeful decision. I don't necessarily support this decision, but I understand why it's this way as a developer.

Scott, I don't like to disagree but others seem to have been able to upload images to the post in question - http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/gr...scussionid=976
    Ray

Blog Entries

Those haven't been uploaded via the Social Group. Those either reside outside of this site on other servers on the web, or they were uploaded in the main forum and linked to using the image link fuction, or linked to a user's personal image album space. Difference in wording, really. The fact remains that you can't perform the act of uploading (transferring an image from your personal computer to the forum) inside Social Groups because it's a part of the software design.

Blog Entries

Here are some instructions on posting a photo/file/mp3 from your computer using the new version of the forum software.

If the images on your computer are xxxxx.psd (or any format other than JPG) they need to be saved as xxxx.jpg files. To do this open Photoshop or your image editor and Save As then change the format of the image to JPEG in the drop down list under the filename.

Then on the Café navigate to your thread and select Go Advanced and compose your post. To attach photos/files from your PC (the jpg files you created above) click on the paper clip. This will open a pop up window so be sure your browser allows for that (many browsers block pop ups as they are often for annoying internet ads).

1) Then click Add Files (near the upper right of the pop up) this will change how the pop up looks.
    2) Then click Select Files, this will open the browser window for you to navigate to where the jpg files are on your computer. You can select one or several files (for several hold down the Ctrl key while clicking on the file names. Then click OK.
    3) Files are selected but not yet uploaded. Next click Upload. This will upload them to the Café server for storage.
    4) Then you need to click Insert Attachments to close the loop. Your files are now part of your post. If you scroll down the screen below the post, you can see a section called Manage Attachments and the files/photos/mp3s that will be attached to your post are displayed there. If they aren't there, repeat steps 1-4.

Hope this helps,

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

This isn't quite working for me, Jamie. I get to where I click Upload Files, then after a pause I get a red exclamation point and the list shows Files: 0, with the name of the files I tried to upload still showing on the list. My files are photos with .jpg extension. Any idea what's going wrong? Thanks for help.

BC

Jamie: Problem solved. I've now tried the process successfully on another computer, so I take it the issue was "local".

BC