Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: reason for edit

Default Re: reason for edit

I use edit all the time, mostly to correct typos and grammatical errors, which drive me nuts.

I occasionally rework a section that, on re-reading, failed to make the point I was trying to make, or could, from an unexpected perspective, be misconstrued. I've been thanked more than once for the re-workings.

And twice I've deleted a post altogether that, upon re-reading, was either outright wrong or ridiculously and stupidly provocative. In both of these cases, I felt guilty and amazed that it was possible to simply make those posts go away. I actually felt bad on one of these two deletions because it was on a hot topic, and there was fast and furious cross-posting. When I returned to the thread after the deletion, there was already a heated reply to a post that no longer existed.

For the record, I like the edit function. I can see, though, why it might be too much power in irresponsible hands.
    Doug Hoople
    Adult-onset Instrumentalist (or was that addled-onset?)

Blog Entries

Another possible means to clarify a comment later on or even apologize for it if you don't want to ask a moderator to remove it is to quote your previous post and reply directly to it.

It's kind of like an open audit trail of the conversation.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by El Greco View Post
    why not download Firefox or Google Chrome in both home and work (unless IT dept. is policing the process)
    I have tried Firefox and and I do not like it as well as IE7 and while I use Google for searches I do not want any of their software loaded on any of my computers.
    Last edited by Bill Snyder; Sep-16-2008 at 6:11pm.
    Bill Snyder