Thread: The Dixie Bee Liners

Default The Dixie Bee Liners

Driving into work this evening I was listening to WNCW 88.7 out of Spindale N.C. and in the studio was a group that I'd never heard of. Now I'm not too hip when it comes to bluegrass groups. Some bluegrass I like some not, but The Dixie Bee Liners are something special. Not since I first heard Nickel Creek have I actually stopped, listened and experienced such a unique sound. For me, they are to bluegrass what The Cockman Family are to gospel. A breath of fresh air in this smoggy cloud of mediocrity known as bluegrass.

Default Re: The Dixie Bee Liners

dang. what rock you been hiding under? I first heard them when The Yellow-Haired Girl was getting played everywhere! I suppose you have never heard of Crooked Still either then? Another great twist to tradition using banjo,fiddle and cello. check them out.
    Jason

Lefty JBovier F5 Tradition, Lefty Mid-Mo M1

Jason,

A rock of ambiguity! It seems that I really know little past the obvious, being Monroe, Stanley, Flatt and Scruggs, McReynolds and a few more old timers. Loved bluegrass as a child in the early sixties. Left it behind(not cool for a teen in '66). Started listening again a few years ago. Started going to jams and played in a couple of bands(short lived). Now just duet with a great guitarist that say's no to bluegrass. So I just listen when the muse hit's. Unfortunately for me I like the baritone singers, ala Charley Waller, Lester Flatt and Dan Tyminski as opposed the Big Mon and the "Doc".

Jim, that is great that you discovered the Bee Liners, I really like that band. Their mando player, Jeremy, is around here from time to time.
    Bill

Great guys! We do some work for them. I like their music.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

I've been playing guitar a lot lately, with friends and solo, and have just let the old mando rest in it's case. After posting the last time in response to Jason, I went to his "my space" and just listened, relaxed and enjoyed some great solo playing. Nothing ostentagious, nothing too fast or slow, just good listening music. It got me itching and I spent most all my free moments since on the mando. Not thrashing away, but just slow and easy. Thanks Jason. Everyone check out the DryBones "my space".

Jim

that's not me playing on my MySpace page. It's a plug-in from Ethan Smith who I believe is a member here. His stuff is so good I had to use it on the page!

EDIT: I found his info. his user name is Ethanopia and here is a link where you can get his podcasts and the freeplayer for MySpace if you want it. He also has songs available for direct download.

Freemando
    Last edited by DryBones; Sep-15-2008 at 8:59pm.
    Jason

Lefty JBovier F5 Tradition, Lefty Mid-Mo M1

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    Great guys!
    Aren't there a couple of girls in that band?
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Quote Originally Posted by mandopete View Post
    Aren't there a couple of girls in that band?
    yep, two of them. One of the girls, Rachel Johnson, also plays for the ETSU Bluegrass Band (I think she was in there with one of our fellow board members, too).
    Wes
    "i gotta fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

'87 Flatiron A5-JR/'25 Gibson A-JR

Blog Entries

The DBL are really fine musicians and performers. Highly recommended. Jeremy was playing bass in a picking session in Nashville early this week.

Casey has filled in with the DBL a time or two on banjo, and will again soon. The DBLs are all good people, too-- intelligent and real nice folks.

Thank you all for the kind words. I actually play bass, not mandolin, for the 'Bee-liners. We do have two girls in the band, Rachel Johnson on the fiddle, and Brandi Hart, who also plays fiddle, guitar and is our principle singer. Buddy Woodward and Jonathan Manness switch off on mandolin and guitar. We also have a great Stanley style banjo player named Sam Morrow.
    We had a great time on WNCW, I desperately wanted to walk off with the mic they used on my bass. I didn't get the model, but it's on old RCA ribbon. I made a joke about stealing it to the engineer, after that he refused to let me or the mic out of his sight.

Jeremy

Hi! I stumbled across the DBL's "Down on the Crooked Road" from a Virginia tourism contest. Good song. I'm going to seek out more.

ApK

I've heard a few of their tunes on Bluegrassradio.org & they are terrific- totally fresh !,
    Saska
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=15184620

Dixie Bee Liners MySpace page....
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

Thanks Mandolooter. I thought I had the website in my signature, but it seems that I didn't set it up correctly.

Jeremy

edit: Oh, there they are.