Thread: RSS News Feeds

Blog Entries

Default RSS News Feeds

Testing out a new feature. Our new forum software has the ability to fetch RSS news feeds (Really Simple Syndication) from around the web. With the purpose of the Mandolin Cafe being to assist in global mandolin domination, this is a great feature. For example, I can pull the Mandolin Archive's newest added instruments into the board as a schedule task. Or JazzMando, or others. Even some Cafe stuff some of you may not be aware of. The way this should happen is that these get pulled in, then auto-deleted. They're not meant to be permanent because that's not the purpose of RSS! When you see a new post with the user NewsFetcher, that's the board's generic account that's performing this function. This is not typically an area anyone will want to post in I think, and for now I'll leave reply features on. Questions? Clear as mud?

Phylum Octochordata Mike Bromley's Avatar
    Canucklehead from Cowgary, Oilberta. Spend half my time in Iraq. A wacky life.

Default Re: RSS News Feeds

"global Mandolin"

is five syllables...uh oh...

A haiku coming......
    Root'n Toot'n World trav'ln Rock sniff'n Microscope twiddl'n Mando Mercenary
    Tuxedo Mines
    Triggs Mandolins
    Youtube Stuff

Blog Entries

Global mandolin
    Overload. Too much. Stop it.
    Muh ha ha ha ha!

Have this set to refresh these news pulls every 12 hours which is the default maximum. Don't know yet if that will cause the information to be added as a new post and if so that might prove annoying. Sure I can hack making it a 24 hour refresh. Time will tell

Blog Entries

Talking to myself here ...

Did some searching on the support forums for vBulletin and did indeed find site owners sharing complaints from users about these feeds popping up in the new posts search every 12 hours. Annoying. So, found a code hack to remove just this category from the new post function. In case anyone was wondering, it won't happen... really, someone WAS wondering, weren't they?

Blog Entries

Since no one is reading these... Can you add a line for where the RSS is being published from e.g, Jazzmando.com, Mandolincafe.com, etc... I saw one for Jazzmando and could figure it out but it wasn't immediately clear. If you expand to ensure global mandolin domination it might be cool to know where it's all coming from.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Blog Entries

Done. Still figuring some of this out how this is set up. Hope to have it working correctly in a few days. The changes won't be reflected for awhile on some of these though because they've already been pulled in.

OK. Now I know that I need to get some sleep. I'm looking all over the message board looking for the RSS feeds. Where are they? They, like, couldn't POSSIBLY be in the forum labeled "RSS News Feeds".

Geez.

Pete
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by braccio View Post
    OK. Now I know that I need to get some sleep. I'm looking all over the message board looking for the RSS feeds. Where are they? They, like, couldn't POSSIBLY be in the forum labeled "RSS News Feeds".

Geez.

Pete
    Description of this forum: RSS News Feeds Mandolin related content pulled from the web via RSS (Really Simple Syndication).

The overall board feed is http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/ex....php?type=RSS2

There are sub-feeds for each individual category as well, making something like 20-21 different feeds if you want to drill down. Most browsers--including Macintosh--display the RSS icon in the software. If you'll tell me what browser and platform you use I can tell you where to look for it.

Hey Scott,

I was trying to say that you put it in the obvious place and I was too dense to see what was right in front of me.

Thanks,
    Pete
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more