Thread: mandolin as vocal accomp.

Default mandolin as vocal accomp.

My friend and I are hoping to go on a trip to Kygyzstan-music is a part of what we're going to be doing there and I usually travel with a guitar but this trip I want to take my mando. It's easier to travel with, goes as a carry on, easier to cart about on the streets and I can do just do so much more on mandolin than on guitar -jigs, standards, classical, jam with any local street musicians and also can play accomp with some nice runs where I'm only playing accomp. on guitar.
    If I stay on the lower end, is it terrible to sing with mando? My friend plays hand drum.
    I was hoping to find one of the Ovation doubleneck mando/guitars that I played at NAMM one year but it was a limited make.
    Jon

Default Re: mandolin as vocal accomp.

Personally, I think it sounds great. I do it all the time. Tim O'Brien stuff, traditional bluegrass, old time, folk songs...they all sound nice. Open chords tend to sound best, but moveable barre chords and chops work, too.
    Andrew Lewis
    Collings MT2, Tone Gard, Tortis Style C heavy, bootlace strap, J74s

I like the mandola better for singing over. A matter of keys my voice doesn't totally suck in, and the desire for open strings.

I would be taking my MT2, and also a mandola would be great too, I think in C tuning as a cellist and banjo player-but I'd also miss the higher mando pitch for the non vocal songs.
    I take encouragement, I'll have to check out O'Brien.
    Jon

Take a mandola. And a capo. Put the capo on the 7th fret, you've got a mandolin. Limits you from going "up the neck" when you're already up the neck, but you can do all the first position stuff. And you have the lower-pitched, un-capoed mandola with which to sing.

Or get a 10-string. Or this. Except I guess someone already bought it.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

And how does the capoed mando sound-does finger well? Project?
    Jon

Jon, I'd be up for letting you take the double-neck to Kygyzstan - that is if you like playing it. I don't have a lot of free time right now but if you PM me I'll give you a cell-phone number and maybe we can hook-up for an hour so over the next couple of days.
    Eddie

Smile Re: mandolin as vocal accomp.

MHO, Off hand, having wooden instruments warp some from extended outdoor travel, camping etc.
    The creation of CF Rainsong Guitars and the Mix Mandolins are a improvement in durability and consistancy, where weather is a factor.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture