Thread: Electric Mandolin?

Default Electric Mandolin?

Need some help and advice please. I'm looking for a good quality electric mandolin-not expensive. I have a Fishman saddle pickup in my Moon A and I cant get a good sound out of it at all! Sounds far better with a good mic, so does my Collings.
    So I am going totally electric! Solid body? Those old Fenders look great, what are your thoughts? 4 or 8 strings?
    Thanks guys.
    Alister

Default Re: Electric Mandolin?

Are you using a preamp with the Moon? Preamps make all the difference in the world to a Fishman.

How much do you want to spend?

I'd look at Paul Shippey and Dick Levens for electrics, for starters. Or Dave Farmiloe. Or Nigel Stockbridge.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Been using a Giltrap pre amp before feeding into PA, or Trace amp. I keep getting muddy almost wolf notes, Tried changing strings, set up etc. Just ran into a brick wall. One of the bands I'm working with want me to play mandolin, but they are so loud that it's going to have to be a solid body, I think. I'm unsure about 4 or 8 strings though?

Regards, Alister

$500-$600 ish. Sorry!

Alister

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

You most definately want to talk with Andrew Jerman and see about one of his stock, solid body four strings. Great instruments, and an even nicer guy. You might find customer service as good elsewhere, but not better.

For the record, I have his #11, a sunburst two-point that was his personal axe for a while. I can't tell you enough how thrilled I am with it.

I would definitely go for 8 strings instead of 4. I have a Fender FM-61SE, which is a hollow-body mando with one f-hole and one pick-up. Sometimes, the 4-string electrics sound just like a high-strung guitar, but this definitely sounds like an electric mando and does some interesting stuff when you run it through effects boxes. I've only played it through a little practice amp, so I can't say how it holds up through a real amp.

Have fun exploring!
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Well, if you can track down Nigel Stockbridge (he's in Richmond, North Yorkshire), you might get him to build you an Errington electric within your price range. His Web site doesn't seem to be working at the moment. Dick Levens is in Orkney; I don't know anything about his prices but his instruments look great. Dave Farmiloe is in Northamptonshire. Paul Shippey's electric is probably out of your price range.

Problem with importing an American mandolin on your budget is that you spend a hundred bucks or more just getting it to you, let alone the import duties.

It appears that Trevor at TAMCO has got some Blue Star Mandoblasters in stock. That could be an option for you.
    Last edited by mrmando; Sep-16-2008 at 11:11pm.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

There's another thread on this subject in the "Four, five and eight-string electrics" section. I just posted there, recommending the Blue Star Mandoblaster that Elderly Instruments carries to another member. Check it out; it's in your price range.

Thanks guys!

Alister