Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of pick do you use on Thomastik strings?

Default What kind of pick do you use on Thomastik strings?

I love Thomastik strings, but it seems like all the picks that I like on wound strings don't sound so great on the Thomastiks. On uncoated phosphor bronze strings my favorite pick is a Wegen TF style, on Elixirs my favorite is the Blue Chip in the Wegen TF shape--but on either of those sets, both the Wegen and Blue Chip sound great. Neither sounds great, to my ear, on Thomastiks. I've been using an agate stone pick from Picks'n'Stones when I use Thomastik strings, and really like the tone it gets on the flatwound strings (it sounds mediocre on plain steel strings and bad on roundwound strings), but there are some playability problems with those picks and they kill strings faster than heck, so I would like to find something else. So for those of you who use Thomastiks, what picks do you think work best with them?

The Forrest Gump of Mando Rob Powell's Avatar

Default Re: What kind of pick do you use on Thomastik strings?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Fields View Post
    I love Thomastik strings, but it seems like all the picks that I like on wound strings don't sound so great on the Thomastiks. On uncoated phosphor bronze strings my favorite pick is a Wegen TF style, on Elixirs my favorite is the Blue Chip in the Wegen TF shape--but on either of those sets, both the Wegen and Blue Chip sound great. Neither sounds great, to my ear, on Thomastiks. I've been using an agate stone pick from Picks'n'Stones when I use Thomastik strings, and really like the tone it gets on the flatwound strings (it sounds mediocre on plain steel strings and bad on roundwound strings), but there are some playability problems with those picks and they kill strings faster than heck, so I would like to find something else. So for those of you who use Thomastiks, what picks do you think work best with them?
    I'm using a Red Bear Mondo with a speed bevel on my guitar strung with TI's...
    "If you can make it to 50 without growing up, you don't have to..."

Rob Powell AKA The BeerGeek

Blog Entries

I like the Dunlop Ultex 1.14 (would love one in about 1.25) and a generic mock-turtle triangle pick that's about 1.2 sounds nice on my TI's. I also have a Dawg pick that I beveled nice, sharp edges to and it sounds pretty good but not as good as a thinner pick I've found.

I'm surprised to hear the Bluechip doesn't seem to work so well with TI's. I was going to try a set of Starks with my Bluechip because it's a tad harsh when used on PB strings.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

I'm using the rounded shoulder side (not the tip) of a standard Fender guitar pick, heavy gauge. It's labeled heavy but doesn't feel as thick and dark-toned as many mandolin picks that use the name. The slightly thinner pick helps bring out the upper harmonics on these strings, and using the rounded shoulder side helps balance that with the fundamental pitch, so it's not too tinny-sounding. Or something like that... I'm still figuring out what works best, so take that for what it's worth from a relative beginner.

I was in a summer workshop recently with Tim O'Brien who also uses that shoulder edge of a Fender pick, although not on TI's (he's using Gibson Sam Bush strings, IIRC). So take that for what it's worth. At least I'm not the only one doing it.

Personal taste, style of music, the individual voice of your instrument, and how you hit the strings compared to everyone else, will change things. It might be helpful for folks to list some of those variables. I'm playing mostly 'trad Irish, Scottish and Eastern European fiddle tunes, with a little OldTime, Blues and jazz on the side. I'm using TI Starks on a Lebeda F5 Premium Plus mandolin, with a redwood top.

Blog Entries

I like the sound of either the Pro-Plecs (available from Jazzmando.com) or Dawg pics on my TI Mittels I have on my Spira cant top mando. The Wegen 140 sounds OK on there but not as nice as the Dawg or Pro-Plec. The Dark Purple Dunlop Tortex 2.0mm is nice too if you like the smaller pics. However, what I like vs what you like may be quite different.

Take $5 to the store and try a bunch... or take your mando and shop that way! Cheapest way to modify your tone in my experience is by changing pics.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

The Forrest Gump of Mando Rob Powell's Avatar

I thought I posted this question.....oh well...which Bluechip are you using?
    "If you can make it to 50 without growing up, you don't have to..."

Rob Powell AKA The BeerGeek

While I am no longer using Thomastik (Mittel) strings, at one time they were the string of choice for me when I played in the mandolin I and II sections of the Providence Mandolin Orchestra. I was using them on a 1916 Gibson F-2 and we played primarily classical themed pieces. At the time, I was using a little black Pettine pick (plectrum) with a very sharp point. The sound was very precise and clear but it took quite some practice to develop a very shallow pick stroke and to hang on to the darn thing.

Currently, I use D'Addario FT-74s (unwound) strings on all the mandolins at my house and vary picks among TS, Dunlop 207s, Ultex and Big Stubby. Also, I no longer play in the mandolin orchestra (heavy sigh!!).

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Ooops!! I am using Sam Bush strings on my '56 F-12 (my bad).

Len B.

I insist on genuine Mother of Toilet Seat picks. They fit my playing style!

Although based on another current thread, I am considering switching to picks made from bread wrapper plastic clips.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ighlight=bread

They should be the perfect thing to use with T-I's, since after I pay for a set of T-I's, a bread wrapper pick would be all I could afford!

I use a Blue Chip pick on my Thomstik strings, but I never had a problem with Wegen or Tortis picks sounding bad on them.
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

"I Never Wanted To Be A Barber. I Always Wanted To Be A Lumberjack !"

Wanna be manodlin player

I used TS, and Golden Gates, and a graphite one that I really liked.
    Ron Lane
    2002 Gibson F-9
    Martin DC-18GTE

John Flynn: I insist on genuine Mother of Toilet Seat picks. They fit my playing style!
    But only when you're sitting down right?

I've been switching back & forth from my red bear & wegen both sort of dawg pick shaped. Leaning more to the wegen on the TI's I guess.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

kestrel

"They should be the perfect thing to use with T-I's, since after I pay for a set of T-I's, a bread wrapper pick would be all I could afford!"

I've used both Thomastics, and JazzMando J-11s on all my mandolins, and the only difference I can see is the color of the end wraps - and the $15.00 a set less than the Thomastics. Over the past three-years, I've used nothing but the J-11s, and the 1.5 mm D'Andrea Pro Plec picks. I must have thirty different picks that I experiment with from time to time, but always go back to my Pro Plec. Nice thing is that Ted sends a new pick with every set of strings. That way I can still afford to buy a loaf of bread, once in awhile, rather than swipe the little plastic thingys off the loaves at the store. They hate that.

Gene

I use the Pro-Plec as well...I like the mellow tone...
    PeacE
    Brian

Kestrel,that's not a kestrel on your side photo is it (at least not an American Kestrel)?
    Jon

The JazzMando ProPlecs seem to work well, but I like the Mock Tortoise by Saga(made from horn).
    Elrod
    Gibson A2 1920(?)
    Breedlove Cascade
    Washburn 215(?) 1906-07(?)
    Victoria, B&J, New York(stolen 10/18/2011)
    Eastwood Airline Mandola

guitars:
    Guild D-25NT
    Vega 200 archtop, 1957?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Fields View Post
    may i ask what gauge you're using? in my limited experience with light gauge strings i found that thin picks worked best - regardless of shape.

***about 7 years later*** I have the same question...

I just put some TI Stark on my Collings MT2O. Typically, I use a Bluechip TP 60 on my F hole mandolins.
    The TP60 didn't really sound all that good with the TIs. I tried the other shapes of BC pics that I have and use for specific occasions, and I disliked them ALL. I repeatedly tried my TAD-3R 60, SR60, STP60, TPR60 and CT55 (yes, I know that is ridiculous to have that many BC) and was unhappy with the results. I (incorrectly) concluded the "hype" about TIs was just that. Hype. Or perhaps my MT2O was not made for TIs.

Several days passed and I swallowed my BC snobbery, and tried about every other pick I own. I went through 7 styles of V-picks, 3 kinds of Proplec, 2 kinds of Jim Dunlop Americana, Wegens in several shapes, Dawg picks in 2 of the iterations, my old standards the Dunlop Ultex 1.14 that I had reshaped and beveled in numerous ways, horn picks, TS, and all the old flimsy guitar picks that I used back in the acoustic and electric guitar days, and one other kind (I should mention I have never tried a red bear). You may be able to tell from my collection that I prefer heavier picks. I have become accustomed to the TP60 point, but the winner surprised me.

My favorite turned out to be Golden Gate mandolin picks!

Finally, the instrument came alive again. The sound and resonance I just loved from the J-74s I was using was back, even more so. Strong and pure tone, like I had given my mandolin a throat lozenge and the slightly harsh tone from the phosphor bronze was cleared up and the Oval hole was singing. And the ease of playability!

Oval hole mandolins are quite a different animal, and I learned a lot about my assumptions and expectations in this particular string change.

I was glad to find this thread (and at least one other) where people seemed to dislike the TI/BC combination. Anyone else having similar experiences?
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

I have my Lyon & Healy strung with T-I strings and play it primarily with a BC LG Jazz 35.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

If I may address this issue, with the caveats that I do not typically use heavy rounded picks nor flatwounds strings, the concern I have is that the Thomastic are very good in terms of getting that modern German classical mandolin school tone, and they often use oddly soft picks on the instrument.

Sheer volume is not the desired outcome, but a certain smooth tonal color given by the flatwounds and a soft-ish pick.

It seems those big thick picks alternatively come from players that used archtop mandolins, thicker strings, longer scale lengths and needed volume to compete with other instruments.

So there may be a bit of compromise needed to reconcile the Thomastic strings with a thick heavy pick.

Also the issue of point of rounded tip comes up, and many if not most classical mandolinists seem to prefer a pointed tip so they can actually pluck the string, whereas the guys using the heavy rounded picks like the way they seem to slide over the string.

Different schools of playing.

21. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

dang 

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

With Thomastiks, some German players (as well as a few of us Yanks) favor Wolle plectrums, available from Trekel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	136522
    Ask for the shaped variety.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Clements For This Useful Post:

dangDavidKOS 

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Clements View Post
    With Thomastiks, some German players (as well as a few of us Yanks) favor Wolle plectrums, available from Trekel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	136522
    Ask for the shaped variety.
    Thanks - that's the type of pick I was referring to. It's a very smooth type of plastic , right? and pointed!

http://trekel.de/de/zubehor/9058-wolleplektrumblau.html

http://trekel.de/de/zubehor/2980_Wol...trumweiss.html

There are two kinds of Wolle Picks
    the hard one https://schneidermusik.de/shop1/prod...ducts_id/68271
    the soft one https://schneidermusik.de/shop1/prod...ducts_id/68270
    Thickness is the same but the material differs.
    It says in the description, that they are not ready to play as they are, but have to be worked on. That's what I did with mine, added a small bevel.

Quote Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
    There are two kinds of Wolle Picks
    the hard one
    the soft one
    Thickness is the same but the material differs.
    It says in the description, that they are not ready to play as they are, but have to be worked on. That's what I did with mine, added a small bevel.
    Two different plastic, but the same thickness, that's clever. I guess they don't bevel or polish the edges after molding.

I guess they don't bevel or polish the edges after molding.
    No, the edges are kind of rough. But I have all those classical guitar nail polishing devices that also work on picks, the latest being Micro Mesh https://www.martinsmusikkiste.eu/bau...erfeile?c=1701

28. The following members say thank you to crisscross for this post: