Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thile/Meyer

Default Thile/Meyer

Well, thanks to Scott and Mando Cafe for the front page posting of the upcoming release of the Edgar Meyer/Chris Thile cd. I'd been aware of that, so I clicked on the link to read about it. And then figured, hey, why not check out their tour dates. In the northeast, nothing closer to me than New York City - a 2 hour trip to get there, and mid-week. But, at Carnegie Hall. Hmmmm. I check out the Hall's web site, and saw that there's a special guest scheduled to perform with them. Some guy named Mark O'Connor. Yer killin' me! I had to buy some tickets. Never been to Carnegie Hall, so that will be great, regardless of the performance. And what a show! Woo-hoo!!

Dave

Blog Entries

Default Re: Thile/Meyer

A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

yeah I'm going to the Nashville show....always a good chance of guests in that town. I'm sure the 2 hr drive will be worth it. cant wait!
    Original acoustic music - Solo Octave Mandolin - Original Folk Music

Oct 2nd in SF...........even with all the local players..... last time they were here it was just a duo.
    Hmmmm...... Mike Marshall has done duets with both of them, wonder if he well be in town?

The Carnegie Hall show with O'Conner sounds VERY cool.......if I was there I'd nab a corned beef sandwich at the Carnegie Deli & then walk over to the gig.
    Last edited by SternART; Sep-19-2008 at 1:02pm.

I'll be at the Carnegie Hall gig. See ya there, Dave G.

Art - I have had a sandwich from Carnegie Deli before. Holy cow! I needed a backhoe to just pick up the darn thing. Gotta have a pickle, too, that's for sure. Mzuch, should be a great night - my ears are smiling already.

Lucky Dogs ! I did get to see Meyer & Thile together all acoustic no PA once. And Mike Marchall with Thile Once and also got to see Bela with Thile once. Hope that tour comes within a couple 100 miles of me.
    Last edited by woodwizard; Sep-19-2008 at 2:58pm.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Quote Originally Posted by dave g View Post
    Art - I have had a sandwich from Carnegie Deli before. Holy cow! I needed a backhoe to just pick up the darn thing. Gotta have a pickle, too, that's for sure.
    I used to order 2 extra pieces of rye bread & make 2 sandwiches out of one.
    Melt in your mouth corned beef....nothing like that here in the SF Bay Area.

I have tickets for Chicago on October 24th.

I'm going to see them in Nashville the 21st of Oct. I'm psyched! And the CD/DVD is on its way!
    "Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man."

Headed to the Raleigh, NC show Oct 15 ... Then the Punch Bros in Lenoir, NC early Nov ... Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by downeastboy View Post
    Headed to the Raleigh, NC show Oct 15 ... Then the Punch Bros in Lenoir, NC early Nov ... Can't wait!
    I will be at the Raleigh show also. Hmm.. Lenoir isn't that far away from me, I might to go that one too!

Jawzua

I thought this was good enough to post twice.
    Free concert in Irvine California at the barclay theatre. Edgar Meyer and Chris Thile. I'm going for sure, if you're in the area make sure you're there also. It'll be great and it's free.

Blog Entries

I placed my order and have been listening to the download version (A nice bonus!). The playing is exquisite, transformative, often whimsical, and inspirational to me as a mando player. This is a great conversation between two very talented musicians. I'm really enjoying the album. It'll be getting a lot of play over the next few weeks, I'm sure.

On an unrelated note. The Nonesuch website seems very slow when processing my order. It timed out on me yesterday just after I clicked the Place Order one time and I had to redo it later in the day. Be patient and await confirmation e-mails before you replace the order if you have a similar problem.

Jamie

PS So jealous they won't be in Philly....
    Last edited by JEStanek; Sep-25-2008 at 8:11am. Reason: Jealosy!
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    I thought this was good enough to post twice.
    Free concert in Irvine California at the barclay theatre. Edgar Meyer and Chris Thile. I'm going for sure, if you're in the area make sure you're there also. It'll be great and it's free.
    It's *not* at the Barclay. I think it's kind of confusing the way it's being promoted. It's part of the "Night Flights" summer concert series at the Great Park.

http://www.ocgp.org/default.asp

Chris will no doubt have some sort of comment about balloon rides.
    Last edited by jefflester; Sep-25-2008 at 11:04am. Reason: correct a spelling error

Jawzua

It was kind of confusing. Thanks for posting a link.

Quote Originally Posted by mzuch View Post
    I'll be at the Carnegie Hall gig. See ya there, Dave G.
    We're neighbors.

I'm glad to see they will be in NY. I wonder if any ticket brokers have tickets. I wouldn't go unless I can get right up front. I will have to do my research.

I saw Edgar, Marshall & Fleck in Troy NY back in the late 1990's for the Uncommon Ritual Shows. I was RIGHT THERE in row 3. Best concert of my life. I've been to other shows in the far seats too, and it's not even the same.

If anyone knows where I can get better tickets than ticketmaster, please email me. If that's not against the rules here.

Have fun at the shows everyone.

The inside quips regarding where to buy a whompin' big sammich ("mit a pickle") or score concert tix aside..
    has anyone else actually listened to the CD recorded by Mssrs. Meyer and Thile (all the way through, now) other than the moderator and would they care to share their impressions of what I found to be 48 minutes and 52 seconds divided into 12 tracks of un-hummable and non-whistleable back and forth that alternates between tedious droning and anxious and frenetic noodling by two technical wizards (in the vernacular) of their respective instruments?
    VTY
    MJB

Much as I hate to say it, I have to agree,in part with Mandophilus. Admittedly,I have an unsophisticated ear for music,and while I appreciate the great skills of those players and their zingy runs and little jokes,I was disappointed.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Mandophilus View Post
    ...I found to be 48 minutes and 52 seconds divided into 12 tracks of un-hummable and non-whistleable back and forth that alternates between tedious droning and anxious and frenetic noodling by two technical wizards (in the vernacular) of their respective instruments?
    VTY
    And what collection of music IS humble and whistleable? How can droning (a long static note held, usually a bass note, that supperts upper voices above it) be tedious?

I certainly understand where Mandophilus is coming from......many of the New Acoustic wizards
    can play the pyrotechnics, but lack a certain humm-ability or the often mentioned soul factor.
    That is one of the reasons I'm a fan of David Grisman. I find his tunes stick to my brain, and are indeed hummable.....gotta be careful of those Dawg whistles though, might create a barking scene in the neighborhood.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by woodnbronze24 View Post
    And what collection of music IS humble and whistleable? How can droning (a long static note held, usually a bass note, that supperts upper voices above it) be tedious?
    Leo Eide comes to mind.

Seriously though, folks will have opinions on the recording. Lets let folks voice them, and not feel the need to defend our opinions too strongly.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by Mandophilus View Post
    The inside quips regarding where to buy a whompin' big sammich ("mit a pickle") or score concert tix aside..
    has anyone else actually listened to the CD recorded by Mssrs. Meyer and Thile (all the way through, now) other than the moderator and would they care to share their impressions of what I found to be 48 minutes and 52 seconds divided into 12 tracks of un-hummable and non-whistleable back and forth that alternates between tedious droning and anxious and frenetic noodling by two technical wizards (in the vernacular) of their respective instruments?
    VTY

There are a couple threads on the new record. I already posted a small review. But in short, I love the new direction Chris is taking acoustic music. It's like prog acoustic. And there is an audience for it.

And I find most of it memorable, whistleable, hummable etc........

I'm curious what you thought of Punch Brothers, because I think that CD is groundbreaking.

Jawzua

I definitely would not put a mass appeal label on this record, but find it incredibly interesting and listenable myself. After listening to the album then seeing them live last night, it brought a greater understanding of where they are taking these tunes and the relationship, musically, that Meyer and Thile have together. They're almost freak musicians, mutants in a human world, trying to push themselves to be better and create new and interesting music. I actually thought it was very musical, even finding strong bass grooves to be present in many of the songs. Meyer simply takes me to another place when I listen to him. For a highly composed record with two top musicians in their field, I give my stamp of approval. Try not to listen to it just once, give it a while, let it sink in. Some of my favorite music was not pleasant when I first listened.

Registered User Douglas McMullin's Avatar

It has an audience with me, and I have been humming/whistling a number of parts from the recording. I recently saw the two live, and the musicianship was nothing short of amazing. The DVD is a nice insight to their live performance, and I would consider it a must if you cant see them live.