Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 123456728 ... LastLast

Thread: An invitation for members to use their real name

Default Re: Invitation for users to use their real name

With Scott's permission, let me take the Devil's Advocate position:

While I understand and appreciate the value of using real names in a forum like this, I think it's important to inform people of the potential down side, especially for folks who may not be too Internet savvy or aware of the risks.

There are a lot of kooks out there.
    For some people like me, with an unusual name, and a listed phone number and street address, I simply don't need to make personal information available to every searcher on net who may not have the best intentions.
    Especially with small children at home, I just don't want to make it too easy to be found personally by total strangers. I'm not hard to find if someone is interested in putting a little effort in, but that doesn't mean I want to lay out the info for every spammer search software.
    Nor do I want to get calls at home from some lurking kook who doesn't like one of my posted opinions!
    And that's the mundane stuff, not to mention the of identity theft or the risk to the kids by a very small
    segment of the population who can do much worse with a family's personal info.

Some one who's more insulated...unlisted numbers, no kid's picture online, etc... or some one with a very common name, a la John Smith, has less reason to be concerned.
    And less reason to be trusted, for that matter.
    Unless Scott is running background checks on all of us, Do NOT assume that just because someone uses a mundane screen name, that it PROVES they are who they say they are.
    "Hey Scott, I agree totally...no more hiding...change me to me REAL name: Hillary Clinton."

ApK (Those are my REAL INITIALS)

Blog Entries

and here I thought I was just being unimaginative...feel free to add a space and capitalization if you'd like, otherwise I think mine is pretty clear anyway.

as to ApK's concern, thinking in terms of risk-vs-reward: the risk seems rather minimal, while at the same time the reward does too. IMO, lurking kooks, while certainly very real, is one of the least of my concerns about my family and kids, etc. I suppose in the end it's a tossup, so go with what you think is best.
    Original acoustic music - Solo Octave Mandolin - Original Folk Music

Hey, I've been wanting to change also.

I'm Terry Braund. Go ahead and make the change.

Thanks, Scott!

Make the change for me. Charles Andre. Thanks.

i have to agree with ApK. i'm a computer geek by trade (and a mandolin torturer by desire). i often tell people there are people who don't have a life except through the computer. Their idea of a good time isn't playing Sally Goodin'; it's busting into other computers or servers to get any and all data they can. Keep me as "wreded" (not too hard to figure out anyway).
    On another subject: JBMANDO where can i get a larger version of Your avatar? i LOVE IT!
    Dave

6. Sep-26-2008, 11:50am

Reason
    man2518

Hi Scott,

You may change my ID to Rick Parrish.

change ddmusic to
    Danny Clark
    Thanks
    Danny Clark

Blog Entries

Folks, I stated at the beginning of this thread to save the chip shot remarks for elsewhere. I'm going to delete some of these now. Sorry if this offends you but the purpose of this area is for support and change. There are other areas for making humorous remarks, but this is not one of them. Thank you.

I thought our profiles used to have our names on them if we wanted (I know the old forum did, but I thought I saw it on the new one too right after the migration.) Would it be possible to be able to do that again? I'd rather keep my handle since I use it on a few other boards, but I'd also like to have my full name on my profile (like it was before) so I won't be another anonymous poster. There might be a few others like me who don't mind having their names known but would like to keep their handle for whatever reason. Anyway, just throwing that out there -- I really enjoy the new forum and all the added features. Keep up the good work guys.

Wes Bunch
    Wes
    "i gotta fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

'87 Flatiron A5-JR/'25 Gibson A-JR

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cooper4205 View Post
    I thought our profiles used to have our names on them if we wanted (I know the old forum did, but I thought I saw it on the new one too right after the migration.) Would it be possible to be able to do that again? I'd rather keep my handle since I use it on a few other boards, but I'd also like to have my full name on my profile (like it was before) so I won't be another anonymous poster. There might be a few others like me who don't mind having their names known but would like to keep their handle for whatever reason. Anyway, just throwing that out there -- I really enjoy the new forum and all the added features. Keep up the good work guys.

Wes Bunch
    I should clear this up, because some people seem confused by this--probably because they haven't read my opening post: No one's being forced to use their full name on this forum, and no one has been asked to explain why if they don't wish to.

If you wish to have your name displayed below your board user ID, the process is almost identical to the previous forum: Click User CP, upper left-hand corner of any page, then on the left under:

Your Control Panel
    Your Profile
    Click the link "Edit Details"

In the middle is an area called Custom User Title.

In that space is a place to place any text you'd like to shown directly below your user name--like your real name, or something else if you prefer.

I read the opening post and understand no one is being forced to change their handle, just wanted to know if we could add our names to our public profiles like we could in the past. If not cool, but just I wanted to check. Thanks again.
    Wes

Cooper4205, if you follow Scott's instructions your name will be right under your handle. Where mine says I'm still Curious yours would have your name.
    Bill Snyder

Can you make the display name show something other than the credential you login with, i.e. can my name display Buddy Ellis but the login name remain buddyellis?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Snyder View Post
    Cooper4205, if you follow Scott's instructions your name will be right under your handle. Where mine says I'm still Curious yours would have your name.

I know, I was just checking to see if we might be able to put our names on our public profiles (where it has a place for you to type a biography, for instance). Anyway, no big deal, just wanted to see if it could be done like that. I'll probably just put it in my signature line instead.
    Wes

Hi Scott,

Go ahead and change me as well. My name has been under all of my posts for years anyways. Thanks...
    Philip Halcomb

Blog Entries

Buddy,

You can do that as Scott described....

If you wish to have your name displayed below your board user ID, the process is almost identical to the previous forum: Click User CP, upper left-hand corner of any page, then on the left under:

Your Control Panel
    Your Profile
    Click the link "Edit Details"

In the middle is an area called Custom User Title.
    Mine says Moderator yours is currently set to Registered User.

Cooper, In the same place you edit your Custom User Title further down the page you can put your name in the Biography section like I did. You can see that info on the about me tab when viewing my profile.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by buddyellis View Post
    Can you make the display name show something other than the credential you login with, i.e. can my name display Buddy Ellis but the login name remain buddyellis?
    Can't do that, not even sure why you'd want to but really don't need to know. There are two pieces visible that can be changed:

buddyellis

The first is your user name, and only I can change that. The second is an editable title. By default, everyone is "Registered User" but if you want to put your name there that's possible and you can edit that yourself through your CP--Control Panel.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cooper4205 View Post
    I know, I was just checking to see if we might be able to put our names on our public profiles (where it has a place for you to type a biography, for instance). Anyway, no big deal, just wanted to see if it could be done like that. I'll probably just put it in my signature line instead.
    Hi Wes,

I didn't find an option for my full name like in the last version of the board, so I put it into my "biographical sketch" in my profile. I've also a link to my web site, so I feel really exposed here now .
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

20. The following members say thank you to jasona for this post:

Scott please change desertmando to Jim Kirkland. Thank you

Great idea! This is just another example of the professional level I've come to appreciate with this forum. Please change "MC Gitarz" to Milan Christi.
    Milan

Blog Entries

Changes made. Repeating now for the third time.

If you don't have business in this thread, please post elsewhere
    . Business is: you either wish to change your user name, or you have a valid question about board use regarding the changing of a user name or wish to assist someone that does. If in doubt, contact me privately. I'm continuing to remove comments that have no purpose here. We don't need to hear from you about what your board ID means. Really, we don't. There are entire threads out here for that. Go post that there. I don't care what your board ID means. This is a working area for yours truly and the moderators and these posts, and I do care about serving only the users that have a valid need, and that doesn't include anyone wanting to provide us detailed instructions on what tatereater61 means.

Thank you.

Ken Froman

from mandoplyr72 please change me to Ken Froman

Blog Entries

tenorbanjoguy to Ken Olmstead please.

Thanks!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

Please change kingmandoman to Randy King