Thread: sweet home alabama

Question sweet home alabama

Does anyone have the music to "Sweet Home Alabama" or know where I can get it? It doesn't necessarily need to be in TAB. I can read both. Thanks!

Default Re: sweet home alabama

Guitar tab
    Are you trying to adapt the guitar intro to mandolin? I have an adaptation that works and it's kind of similar to the original. I could tab it out if you wanted me to.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Thanks! Yeah, I'm trying to create a mandolin version. If you have one, I would love to see it. Thanks for your help!

Well here's my little adaptation. Play it funky,with palm muting and other rhythmic right hand technique.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S3000001.JPG 
Views:	2332 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	35276  
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

I've done this one (on mando) for years.

e||===d=d==v=v====v=|=v=d=v=v====v=|==v=d==v=v==v= |=d====d=====v=d==v=|==d=== (pick)
    a||========5========|=====3========|=======2====== |===================|=======
    d||===0=0====7====0=|=======5====5=|=========5==== |======0^2^0===0====|==0=====
    g||==~7=7===========|=5=5==========|==0=0=======0= |==2^4=======4====5~|7=7===
    .....r....m.r........r.r.m.r (fingering)

~ slide
    ^ hammer-on or pull-off
    d downstroke
    v upstroke
    r ring finger (3)
    m middle finger (2)

Playing out of position, pick direction, and slurring are a big component in making this type of stuff more "convincing".

Dump "the rules" of "mandolin playing" and concentrate on whatever gets you close(r) to the sound/groove/attack/timing of the electric guitar and the song, otherwise it'll just sound "hokey". (And that's a whole lot harder than it would first seem.) If you play it like a BG player, it'll sound like it.

Niles H

Mandocrucian tracks on SoundCloud

CoMando Guest of the Week 2003 interview of Niles

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!." - Randy Newman ("It's A Jungle Out There")

Thanks for all your help! I'll try these when I get home.