Thread: Lyon and Healy Setup Questions

Default Lyon and Healy Setup Questions

I recently took possession of a nice Lyon and Healy Style C mandolin. It's #609 and I'm assuming it was built around 1918-1920. Structurally it is very sound and just has some honest playing wear. No cracks and no repairs. Everything appears to be original with the exception of the case (which is a cheap one) and the first five frets have been replaced.

Whoever did the refret didn't pay much attention because they used much larger fret wire than the original. The first five frets are also pretty worn so I think it's going to need a refret. My delimma is do I send it to someone and have the first five frets redone with close to original wire? Or should I just go ahead and refret the whole thing with the slightly bigger wire that I prefer? At this point, I'm leaning toward a total refret. These instruments were made to be played afterall. And we're not talking about a pristine museum piece here.

My other question is do you think it would be beneficial to have it set up with a new adjustable bridge versus the original fixed bridge? I know it will most likely change the tone but do you think that will improve tone? I'm also thinking that having an adjustable bridge will make small set up adjustments much easier. I'll probably set it up with slightly lighter guage flat wound strings. Possibly Thomastiks at some point.

Any info on your experiences with L&H mandolins is appreciated!

Default Re: Lyon and Healy Setup Questions

I have Tomastiks on a Lyon & Healy with a fixed bridge and I find that the whole rig is pretty stable. I don't miss an adjustable bridge on it. I think I concur regarding the refret. Have someone good do it. Remember that if the replacement frets have tangs of different widths than the originals, a refret may alter the neck relief. A good technician will take all that into consideration.
    Bob DeVellis

Remember that if the replacement frets have tangs of different widths than the originals, a refret may alter the neck relief. A good technician will take all that into consideration.
    Very good point, Bob. It will also increase the cost significantly to cut those slots wider to accommodate new fret tangs. Some luthiers won't touch the job or will price themselves out of it. But, there are a few who seem to be able to find work-arounds, and do a good job at a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    Whoever did the refret didn't pay much attention because they used much larger fret wire than the original.
    Shaun they probably knew what they were doing. It was most likely a cost saving measure by not doing the whole fretboard.

Good possibilty that's banjo fretwire on that fretboard as a lot of people (uncluding me) don't like that real thin fretwire they used to use a long time ago.

You know I had our mutual friend Jim C do a complete refret for me and he did a decent job. No sharp ends or anything and I bought my own fretwire online and had him install it. And the total cost was probably less than what you would spend on a steak dinner (ie; very resonable!)

I still have a bunch of it left if you wanna look at it.

Cool looking mandolin you got especially the headstock, you should post a picture!

Paul Wheeler
    Greenfield, NH; formerly Jericho and St. Albans, VT

That's interesting, I never supposed that you could make an adjustable bridge with that low a profile. My Style B has the straight/solid, uncompensated bridge and is just fine most of the time; exceptions are in the very muggiest part of the summer (by Vermont standards), or at the opposite extreme when it's very cold out and I'm visiting a place that has wood heat (so, very very dry conditions). Either way, I start to get some string buzz. This is strung with D'Addario flat-tops. -- Paul
    He joyously felt himself idling, an unreflective mood in which water was water, sky was sky, breeze was breeze. He knew it couldn't last. -- Thomas McGuane, "Nothing but Blue Skies"

Well I think I'll keep the original bridge. and get an entire refret done with slightly bigger wire. I may take a look at that wire you have Jim.
    Thanks for the input!