Thread: My new Loar LM600-VS

Default My new Loar LM600-VS

Hi all
    I'm a new member but have been lurking for a couple years and I must say..this is a must stop for me every morning..Great site!

Now to the real reason I'm posting...My Loar LM600-VS...
    I bought this mandolin from Gianna Violins and had Steve do his thing with the MandoVoodoo and I couldn't be happier. Perfect set-up! This mandolin is sweeeet! I was floored,when I played a G chord...then I did a chop..It was surreal...and really loud! My main mandolin is a Weber Gallatin(which I love) and is no wall flower and this Loar can EASILY keep up. Its nice and crisp and has a great woody tone...Outstanding! Great job Travis and Paul!!!
    I've played every import known to man and have had a few over the years and I can say without a doubt, this 600 is the best I've ever heard. In fact, I will go on record saying, if I ran into this mandolin at a shop and played it...I would have paid ALOT more than the retail price this goes for. Its that good!
    Check one out when you get the chance..you'll be very suprised.

Thanks for letting me rave on and hope to post more now that I'm finally a member!

Mark

Default Re: My new Loar LM600-VS

I agree! I love my "The Loar". A few of the members advised me to look at other brands but this one will do until I get my new Poe. It's gets better and better the more I play it and the more I let it stand facing one of my home theatre sub woofers.
    "I love the smell of my mandolin in the morning. The smell, you know ... that varnish smell. Smells like victory."

I've had my Loar 600 for a little over a month now, and I have to admit that my other instruments have just stayed in their cases.

I really didn't expect that it would replace my old and trusty Gibson A for use in the jug band, but it has, and whatever jangle I might lose by not using the Gibson is more than made up for by the variety of tones I can pull out of the Loar. And for the bluegrassier numbers it just makes a huge difference.

I've played it many different situations now, from duos to full bands and it's just great. This past weekend I did eight sets with three bands -- including sitting in with Brooklyn's M Shanghai String Band at Caffe Lena. Two shows were with one condensor mic, one was with individual mics and one was entirely acoustic (sans PA) and it came through in each case just fine.

I do have it rigged up with a Doug Edwards McClung armrest and a Tone-Gard.

I'm curious if you had yours long enough before doing the Mandovoodoo to describe the difference in tone. One thing that keeps me hedging on that process is that I already love the sound of the instrument as it is -- and if ain't broke...
    2020 Custom Weber Yellowstone F-20-F octave mandolin
    2019 Weber Yellowstone F-17 mandola
    2019 Custom Weber Diamondback F14-F
    2018 Custom Weber Yellowstone F14-0
    2016 Weber Octar

www.webermandolins.com/mandolin-artists/michael-eck

Mark, I too purchased the new Loar 600. I got mine in August lucky #32. I couldn't believe I was able to get such a low number. Anyway, I've worked hard at the set up and finally got it right. I'm having a hard time playing over the "sweet" spot without hitting those little frets. At every opportunity I lay the mandolin on top of 2 bass speakers, cover it with pillows and let the wood vibtrate...whoa, what a difference. I have a hand made custom mandolin from Fredericton New Brunswick, that I'll never stop playing. The 600 isn't bad, even though I did pay full retail. I did get them to give me the Guardian vintage case though. The mandolin has serious potential. I recently heard that a 700 model is coming out. It has a graduated top and back? Most people don't believ me when they say, who makes this, and I say Loar, they say yea, but who's the maker.

Ref: Arden's post about the 700 series coming out with a graduated top and back... My question would be, "Is the hand carved top on the 600 model graduated?"

Don't you mean "The Loar"?

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyjammer View Post
    My question would be, "Is the hand carved top on the 600 model graduated?"
    Of course it is. Nice people with a major history making violins sit there with little planes and scrapers and do it. The 700's will have a few more bells and whistles, and will feature an interesting detail not on the 600's. I have the prototype of the 700 which I've been playing for about six months and I love it. Different voice. Great to hear the nice reactions to (this is hard to say) the "The Loars."
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

Has anyone A-B'd the new ones with the older less desirable model?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

You mean the 500s?
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

I'll be ordering my Loar 600 VS today..........do you think THIS case will work with it? (I noted that it didn't "come with one") Is this a good match-up?

P.S.: Is the Top and Back "solid" wood? (Spruce and Maple, respectively)

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...ase?sku=544046

The Loar Website shows that they ship WITH a "case" but Musiciansfriend.com says nothing about a "Case." (thus the thought that I'd have to buy one, seperately)
    Last edited by Soupy1957; May-28-2009 at 5:53am.
    Breedlove Crossover FF SB
    “The weather was so bad even my iPhone was shaking!”
    -SDC

The case that comes with it is better than that one you asked about. I love the case "the Loar" comes with. Light weight, strong, and secure. I think it is one of the better cases for everyday use on the market today.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

It does mention the case near the bottom of their description.

The Loar LM-600 F-Model Mandolin Includes:

featherweight case with embroidered logo
    The top and back are ALL solid woods. This is a great sounding mandolin. Be aware that the factory setups are not so great. You may want to take this in to a local luthier after you receive it.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

The Forrest Gump of Mando Rob Powell's Avatar

Soup, you should buy your LM-600 from one of the two guys who posted answers here. Both Big Joe and Robert Fear are fans of "The Loar" instruments as well as dealers. They both set up the mandos they sell properly before they ship it.

You'll also gave a name to go to if you have any problems.

Good luck and enjoy. The LM-600's and LM-700's are "under the radar" mandolins in my opinion.
    "If you can make it to 50 without growing up, you don't have to..."

Rob Powell AKA The BeerGeek

Over the last couple of years, I've had a chance to get a handle on mando "setup" and feel confident that I can get it where I need it to be, short of any major reconstruction of the instrument parts.

That being said..............I'll be danged if I didn't pay for "Next Day Air" and it's been two days a'comin!!
    Breedlove Crossover FF SB
    “The weather was so bad even my iPhone was shaking!”
    -SDC

Soupy,

I am sure everyone was thinking the same thing. "You are getting it from where? UH OH!". hehe

It sounds like you will be fine though.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

16. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

mrkrgr