Thread: Big Scioty

Default Big Scioty

Been learning this tune for a few days, just not sure how it's pronounced. I assume its named for the Scioto River in Ohio. Any of you locals up there know?
    ......Jeff

Default Re: Big Scioty

Jeff, On one of his instructional CDs, Butch Baldassari pronounces it si-o-ty but spells it Sciota.
    '02 Collings MF5

Rhymes With coyote, John in Ohio

You told me one, you told me two, you told me 10,000 lies little girl, you told me 10,000 lies.

You told me more lies than the stars in the skies, you'll never get to heaven when you die, little girl, you'll never get to heaven when you die.

I'm fallin on me knees and I'm beggin you please, won't you come along and stand by me, little girl, come along and stand by me.

LOVE IT!

Great tune.... I've seen the title spelled Big Scioty and Big Sciota. I've always heard it pronounced as one poster has pointed out Sci-ot-tee.
    2003 Gibson A5L

2012 Gibson Custom Advanced Jumbo
    2005 Gibson 'True Vintage' Original Jumbo

1920 Bacon Open Back

I live at the mouth of the Scioto River. Here,we pronounce it Sigh-O'-Tuh,with major emphasis on the "O". Scioty,a colloquialism is pronounced Sigh-O-Tee in this area.
    Jim

I've lived most of my life in Columbus, Ohio, located on the Scioto River. Around here its name has always been pronounced "sigh-OH-tuh". Historically "Sciota" and "Scioty" were alternate spellings, but I've never heard it actually pronounced "sigh-OH-tee", except in reference to that song title.

I tend to call the song "Big Sigh-OH-tuh", just because I am so used to pronouncing the river's name that way. However, as has been pointed out, "sigh-OH-tee" is a colloquialism common to parts of the region, and I'm guessing that's what the song's author had in mind.
    Last edited by EggerRidgeBoy; Oct-17-2008 at 4:55pm.

There were a couple of threads on BanjoHangout earlier this year on the same subject, which might give you more (at times conflicting) information on the Scioto and its pronounciation than you really want:

http://www.banjohangout.org/forum/to...OPIC_ID=117857
    http://www.banjohangout.org/forum/to...OPIC_ID=116534

Named after a river? And all this time me and sgarrity been playing it and I thought it was named after a nerve in your back!

jim_n_virginia -- That's what I thought, too. AND I heard that Big Sciatica was written by the great Big Band leader, Guy Lumbago . . . ; ~ ))

I'm a country mouse Bobbie Dier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scgc.om View Post
    jim_n_virginia -- That's what I thought, too. AND I heard that Big Sciatica was written by the great Big Band leader, Guy Lumbago . . . ; ~ ))
    That is funny!! We have been calling it "Big Sciatica" too for a long time. I guess you have to be old to understand it.
    I wandered again to my home in the mountains....