Thread: La Arvelita

Default La Arvelita

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on notation for La Arvelita (Puerto Rican Jibaro music)? I haven't been able to find anything on the web.

John Reischman played it at Mandolin Camp North this year and Mike Marshall and Sarah Jarosz play it on YouTube.

Thanks
    Marc B.

2. The following members say thank you to Marc Berman for this post:

Default Re: La Arvelita

Sorry this is a very late response but I wanted to put it out there in case anyone is interested. I've always liked this tune and their version is quite tasty so I went ahead and transcribed it (Sarah's part). If anyone wants it just reply and I'll make it available. Cheers.
    1999 Summit Artist F5 #132 - ToneGard - McClung Rest - BaileyStrap - BlueChip
    Roscoe, Fodera, Sadowsky, Fender, Danelectro, Kala basses
    Anton Krutz ¾ double bass w/C extension, Pierre-Yves Fuchs french bow
    Bourgeois, Collings, Santa Cruz, Martin, Cervantes, Montalvo, Fender guitars
    Kanile'a, aNueNue, Kala ukuleles
    1960 Petosa AM-900 43/120 piano accordion
    Drums/percussion, Bb clarinet, soprano/alto/tenor sax, trumpet, trombone

Yes, Brad, make it available. Thanks!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Maestas View Post
    Sorry this is a very late response but I wanted to put it out there in case anyone is interested. I've always liked this tune and their version is quite tasty so I went ahead and transcribed it (Sarah's part). If anyone wants it just reply and I'll make it available. Cheers.
    Yes, please.

I think that it is called "La Arboleda" (the grove). The version I have (from Puerto Rico) is by Pedro Padilla. Great tune!

I have John's transcription somewhere if youbstill want it.

Hey Al and Brad: I really don't think you have to ask our permission to post a transcription here. Just go ahead and post it. Those of us interested would be quite appreciative. I love the latin beat.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I am pretty sure you are referring to "La Arboleda" as well. I have a copy of this somewhere... John Reischman taught this tune at a workshop I attended about 6 months ago or so. I'll try to dig it up (unfortunately my "archives" are a jumble at the moment).

David

Wow! A blast from the past. Yes - I would like what ever anyone has and yes the correct title is La Arboleda I have since taught it to myself via the Amazing Slow Downer but there are a couple of spots I'm still not happy with.
    Marc B.

Looks like it was a Comando Tune of the week in 2007 and available in TEF and abc here (scroll down to #50).

I took a quick look sans mandolin and I have a feeling it may need some editing, but it is a start until the official versions get posted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails la_arboleda.pdf  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Here it is. I don't think that John R. would mind, as his secret sauce is his instruction, not the notes. There is no copyright on this. I'll pull it down if there's any issue. Enjoy and I hope to play this with some of you when I next bump into you! Our choro band is having fun with it.Though it is not a choro.

Correction: According to a Youtube Video" "A song from the Puerto Rican jibaro tradition, written by Pedro Padilla."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	La Arboleda pg1.jpg 
Views:	513 
Size:	250.6 KB 
ID:	107244Click image for larger version. 

Name:	La Arboleda Pg 2.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	246.5 KB 
ID:	107245
    Last edited by Al Bergstein; Sep-25-2013 at 12:41am. Reason: Corrected the origin of the song.

Puerto Rico.

Thanks, Al!

You can hear the original on Pedro Padilla's Return on Wings of Pleasure, an excellent CD by a master cuatro player.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by al bergstein View Post
    here it is. I don't think that john r. Would mind, as his secret sauce is his instruction, not the notes. There is no copyright on this. I'll pull it down if there's any issue. Enjoy and i hope to play this with some of you when i next bump into you! Our choro band is having fun with it.though it is not a choro.

Correction: According to a youtube video" "a song from the puerto rican jibaro tradition, written by pedro padilla."
    Many Thanks!!!
    Marc B.

wow! Thanks for that! Pretty amazing to hear the originals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Thanks, Al!

You can hear the original on Pedro Padilla's Return on Wings of Pleasure, an excellent CD by a master cuatro player.

Here's my version which is basically a transcription of Sarah Jarosz's part in the youtube video. I have seen it listed as a jibara at various places on the internet but I think it is (and Padilla lists it on his CD as) a guaracha. ”Divertirse!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails La Arboleda.pdf  
    Last edited by Brad Maestas; Oct-12-2013 at 12:42pm.
    1999 Summit Artist F5 #132 - ToneGard - McClung Rest - BaileyStrap - BlueChip
    Roscoe, Fodera, Sadowsky, Fender, Danelectro, Kala basses
    Anton Krutz ¾ double bass w/C extension, Pierre-Yves Fuchs french bow
    Bourgeois, Collings, Santa Cruz, Martin, Cervantes, Montalvo, Fender guitars
    Kanile'a, aNueNue, Kala ukuleles
    1960 Petosa AM-900 43/120 piano accordion
    Drums/percussion, Bb clarinet, soprano/alto/tenor sax, trumpet, trombone

I am looking for notation for that song but I have to say that the name is not La Arvelita but La Arboleda, An 84 year old man tells me that the original; name of the song shpuld be EL Arbolito meanint little tree but we have to do further investigation to verify this fact.

Thank you Brad for the transcription and correctin the name of La Arboleta from Pedro PAdilla the composer

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Maestas View Post
    Thank you Brad!!!!!