Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Larry Rice's Mando

Default Re: Larry Rice's Mando

To me, part of the "thin" sound seemed to be coming from his pick. When I listen to Larry he seemed to always use maybe a medium....medium/heavy pick. You can hear it more so in his tremolo if you really listen, for example the song Tobasco:

http://www.mandolincafe.net/mp3/larryrice-tabasco.mp3

He was definitely a fantastic mandolinist, one of my favs.

Hi to all I am the wife of Larry Rice who passed away May 13th 2006 from mesothilioma
    a lung cancer caused by asbestostoes..
    He did have a copy of his mandolin made.. His cousin Randy Poindexter made one .. it was sold to a good friend who put irst dibs on it before it was even finished and Larry did sign it
    It was a very beautiful copy of his.. I now have his mandolin in a climate controlled vault where it is kept. It needs to be played so whenever Emory Lester is here I let him play it also a slected few I will let play it. It is very old and I cherish it with my whole being. I know the history behind it ..Thanks everyone for ur kind post about him and his instrument
    Linda Rice
    Larry P.Rice (The Rice Brothers)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to larryrice24 For This Useful Post:

I have some great pix of Larry when we played together in So. Calif in 1968. I will get them to this thread after I scan them.
    Larry and I played in Aunt Dinah's Quilting Party and in a jam band with Don Parmley and Randy Graham during the same period.
    Tom Mullen
    Tulsa, OK

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Larry Rice, 1981
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RiceL3.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	43126  

this is what I love about the cafe, the stories, the pictures and then Linda joining in to be a part of us reminiscing. too cool, thanks for starting this Scotti.

Mrs. Rice,

Thanks so much for sharing your time with us here at the Cafe and I extend a big welcome to you. Could you let us in on some of the history of Larrys mando? To me that mando has alot to do with he history og Bluegrass music and its evolution. Id like to know how it became to have the vine of life in the fingerboard and what it said across the peghead...which appeared to be made out of a label maker.

Good Morning to all here is the url to my space( www.myspace.com/lindarice49 ) stop by and check it out I have some great pictures and if anyone has any of Larry I would love to have them.. also there is a video of him playing Keep the Lamp On Sadie.. was never put up for the public to see . I have it on my space
    Everyone have a blessed and safe day
    Linda Rice
    Larry P.Rice (The Rice Brothers)

Thanks very much for sharing that with us. I really enjoyed taking that trip.

Here is a pic from June 1968 Venice, Calif Bluegrass Jam.
    Bobby Slone fiddle mostly hidden-
    Mayne Smith guitar
    Me --Bass (check out those 60's shoes and pants!!!)
    Don Parmley banjo mostly hidden
    Larry Rice mandolin
    David "Butch" Parmley age 9 or so. He was but a solid good tenor singer......until puberty hit a few years later.

Name:	1968 BG Jam.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	43160  
    Tom Mullen
    Tulsa, OK

11. The following members say thank you to Tom Mullen for this post:

Here are some album cover and back shots of the infamous Aunt Dinah's Quilting Party from early 1968. Here are 2 of the funniest pix ever taken of our beloved Larry. (yes, he is in a wig on the back cover shot)

Name:	ADQP back.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	43161   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ADQP front.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	200.8 KB 
ID:	43162  
    Tom Mullen
    Tulsa, OK

Fun stuff.

Larry looks like Howard Stern.

That woody, warm mandolin tone he is pulling on that "Sadie" video is gorgeous.....just superb....
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by larryrice24 View Post
    Good Morning to all here is the url to my space( www.myspace.com/lindarice49 ) stop by and check it out I have some great pictures and if anyone has any of Larry I would love to have them.. also there is a video of him playing Keep the Lamp On Sadie.. was never put up for the public to see . I have it on my space
    Everyone have a blessed and safe day
    Linda Rice
    Mrs. Rice, just went to the site and listened to the song, beautiful music, a beautiful song. Thanks so much for letting us hear this. May the Maker bless you in every way.

Hello all. I know this is an old thread, but to anyone that is still wondering, there IS a "Larry Rice" mandolin. I purchased it several years ago from a friend of the Rice family through Mandolin Cafe Classifieds. The gentleman was very nice to deal with, and packed and shipped it to me promptly.
    The way it was explained to me is that it was an exact copy of Larry's heavily modified Gibson F5 (minus the Gibson logo), the first of a line that was intended to be marketed under the Larry Rice label. It was built by a relative, Randy Poindexter, and only one was built before his plans were, unfortunately, interrupted by Larry's health condition. The mandolin has a "Larry Rice" logo in cursive, and fancy flower pot, inlaid on the peghead, and has a printed label inside that reads "Larry Rice Signature Mandolin", Serial No. 001, Made in USA. It is signed "Larry Rice 2005". It also has a beautiful "Vine Of Life" inlay on the fretboard, and "Florentine Special" pearloid truss rod cover. I believe Randy also had done the earlier modifications to Larry's Gibson.
    I received the Larry Rice mandolin in well-played condition, and promptly took it to Joe Mendel, my local luthier, to have it checked out. He said it was well-built and had a good pop. The Larry Rice mando did require a good fret leveling and set-up. It sounds really good, with very good volume. I do not know if Larry actually played the mandolin a lot before his passing, or if it was just passed around among friends to jam with at some point. I like to think that Larry put some of the wear on it himself, but do not know that to be a fact.
    I feel honored to be in possession of a wonderful piece of history linked to so well-respected a musician as Larry. It is truly a fine work of art, and is a joy to play.
    I may try to post some pics of the "Larry Rice" mandolin in the near future, especially if there is any interest in continuing this re-opened thread. If there is anyone that has anything to add to the story-line of this mandolin, I would love to hear it.
    Last edited by Luzianaman; Nov-11-2018 at 7:20pm.

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Luzianaman For This Useful Post:

UPDATE: Here are some photos for your enjoyment.

Name:	20210920_100530.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	688.7 KB 
ID:	196401   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210920_100618.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	798.4 KB 
ID:	196402   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210919_164438.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	622.2 KB 
ID:	196403  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210919_164734.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	432.7 KB 
ID:	196404   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210920_171421.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	364.8 KB 
ID:	196405   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210920_171241.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	369.8 KB 
ID:	196406  

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luzianaman For This Useful Post: