Thread: MandoChords - An iPhone Application

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default MandoChords - An iPhone Application

From Mandolin Cafe News, Announcements - MandoChords is a new full-featured application designed by Charles Dumont for iPhone. MandoChords provides instant access to over 1,000 chord forms in all 12 keys.

Read article...

Published 11-25-2008 11:30 AM

Subscribe to Mandolin Cafe news feed using this link.

Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

Default Re: MandoChords - An iPhone Application

Nice for beginners. Chords in first position only.
    Dotty

Wow, Dotty - I'd be hard pressed to find a thousand chord forms in all 12 keys in first position! We might be able to squeeze out 1000 first position shapes if including advanced types - Figure maybe 57 distinct chord types on 12 roots gives 684 shapes. There might be a couple playable forms of many of them in first position, so a thousand is pretty amazing. Given that there are only 4 courses, most of the chords are really partials, so there would be a lot of interesting choices to be made as to which notes to play in first position for a Bb13(#11), for example.

I'd like to see it.

Bought it, and spent a little time with it just now. It is a good start, but needs some improvement.

The chords are not limited to first position. The app is somewhat limited to thinking of chords as 4 tone or closed chords, in most cases. And the app seems to have left out shapes that I use often, like the 2331 F major. The diminished and 11th buttons do not suggest any shapes: maybe they are not fu8nctional yet. Would be great to have it show double stops, which it does not.

I was surprised not to see the root, 3 and 5 relationship identified in each shape, which would be useful for those looking to improvise solos or play root and 5 modal chords, for example.

I hope that this is useful to someone. Buy it and ask the developer to fix whatever bugs you, and we'll all have a good iphone app.

Hello,

I'm the app developer for MandoChords. This app does go beyond 1st position. Just hit the arrows after selecting a chord form. The label above the Play button shows you how many variations of that chord are in the database. I think the 15th fret is the highest I go. I limited my database to what I had available so I didn't cover every chord. I'll post a description of the set of chords that are included when I get home. If there are improvements you'd like to see or chord forms that you'd like in there definitely let me know and I'll post an update when I have enough. Best contact is hepmehepme@comcast.net. I hope you get some use out of it. Happy Thanksgiving.

Charles Dumont

3-note chords would be a nice addition.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Hey Charles:

Sent you a pm. You've made a good start, and with a few improvements the app will be marketable for more $$. The icon is perfect. Good luck, and have a great holiday.

Richard
    Last edited by R. Kane; Nov-27-2008 at 5:01pm.

My mistake! I didn't really notice the arrows!! I stand corrected. Nice app!
    Dotty

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You guys all have iPhones? I am like SO jealous...
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin