Thread: Tuner problems- replacement  Please help

I picked up a Kimble A style from the classifides a couple of months ago. Great mando. Only problem is that the tuners just do not function properly. Some stick, one "jumps" (no effect for half a turn of the tuner, then the pitch jumps suddenly for 2-3 cents) which maks it barely playable in live situations. My luthier of choice says its the tuners. These are the top of the line Schallers, judging from the pictures on the Stew Mac hp.
    Do I really need new tuners or is there something that can still be done? If I do need new ones, which should I get? Are there things as Waverly A-style tuners? Which other brands would be good?

I must say this problem quite surprised me since all other parts and materials are top notch.

Thanks for your input!
    Who am I and if yes, how many?

Others on the board here have complained about Schallers. I have used them once as upgrade tuners and while I did not have any major problems, I was not impressed with them. Waverlys are pricey, like $400, and some people say that they can have problems if they are not fitted exactly right, probably due to close tolerances. I would look at either Gotoh tuners or Grover Deluxe tuners. I also like the Grover Sta-tites.

As far as improving the tuners you have, I have had some success with taking tuners apart and making sure there are no burrs or grit in them and then lubing the parts with odorless gun grease before re-assembling. One other problem I have had to correct is finding out that the luthier did not drill the tuning peg holes exactly on center, causing some additional friction. In that case, I have had to re-drill the holes and patch the gaps with plastic wood. It actually turned out very well, both functionally and visually, but it was a frustrating, messy operation.

You may also want to make sure that the strings are not binding in the nut slots. Sometimes after a string change this can be a problem, especialy if you have gone to a little heavier string. A little graphite in the slots will work wonders.
    B.Pat
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Quote Originally Posted by (b.pat @ July 20 2004, 12:34)
    You may also want to make sure that the strings are not binding in the nut slots. Sometimes after a string change this can be a problem, especialy if you have gone to a little heavier string. A little graphite in the slots will work wonders.
    B.Pat
    I agree. I don't want to second guess your luthier of choice on a mandolin that he or she has seen and I haven't, but the jumping string problem is usually in the nut. It wont hurt to check.

Graphite will help, but if the nut slot is too small for the string it should be re-filed.

Quote Originally Posted by (sunburst @ July 20 2004, 14:30)
    Quote Originally Posted by (b.pat @ July 20 2004, 12:34)
    # # # # # # # # B.Pat
    I agree. I don't want to second guess your luthier of choice on a mandolin that he or she has seen and I haven't, but the jumping string problem is usually in the nut. It wont hurt to check.

Graphite will help, but if the nut slot is too small for the string it should be re-filed.
    Recut the nut slots.