Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drinking the Kool-Aid Picks

Default Drinking the Kool-Aid Picks

Ok , Im gonna have to try one of these high-tech picks. I have tried the Dawg pick, and I cant handle it, maybe not enough strength in my hand or something. I use those rounded trianangle picks Fender or what not.. Heavy.

Any suggestion , cheaper than Blue Chip, and if its not taboo, any recomendation on best place to order from.
    Im sure the Blue Chip is great ,, but my wife ends up washing picks all the time , Im just too careless.
    Thanks
    Steve

Default Re: Drinking the Kool-Aid Picks

I'd suggest the ninety five cent Golden Gates but they are pretty similar to the Dawgs. They are honestly, for me, the closest to the Tortoise picks I use and they are a lot cheaper. What is it that you have problems with on the Dawgs? Have you tried reshaping them with an emery board to make them more to your liking?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I have a Blue Chip and Red Bear and Wegan and V-Pick and others. My favorite pick is still the Dunlop Jazztone 207. They're $00.35 each so you don't worry if you drop one in the grass at night in the camp ground at Bass Mountain. And they come in lots of shapes. The best pick out there for the $$ IMHO.

Blog Entries

Something I did with the thicker Pro Plec is drill some holes in it like a Wegen 7 holes in a diamond pattern in the center. Worked well to help me hold it without pinching too hard. I also really like the Dawg pick, both versions.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

The dawg picks just seem to make me work hard,, but Im thinking that could be due to me using thumb movement for picking instead of wrist movement.
    Thats a problem I am trying to correct, and playing alone I kinda get it,,, but when it speeds up or when Im not concentrating on it , the dancing thumb slips back in.
    Ijust gotta make it a new habit.
    Thanks for your input.
    Steve

I kicked the thumb habit about a year ago. It's a tough one. I try to envision holding a broom stick out in front of me with my thumb resting on top of my index finger. Take away the stick and that's the amount of space I try to keep in my palm. If you can get the grip down, it's pretty hard to move your thumb.

I use Wegens in the shape of Dawgs most of the time.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jeter View Post
    Im sure the Blue Chip is great ,, but my wife ends up washing picks all the time , Im just too careless.
    Thanks
    Steve
    Just keep the Blue Chip in your case and don't forget the Kool-aid!
    Mike Bloder
    Hogan F-5
    Northfield NF-F5S

I've been a longtime Wegen M150 lover, but yesterday while picking up strings, I bought a Dunlop JazzTone 208. After an evening of plucking around with it I'm impressed. I still prefer the feel of the Wegen, but this Dunlop is very, very close. Around here the Wegens go for $10.50 USD. This Dunlop, otoh, cost me fifty cents.

Mando Aspirant

I'll make a pitch for the Jim Dunlop Stubby (3.0mm). They're kinda small, so it's a bit hard to get a hold of even for my small Asian hands but they seem to glide over the strings more easily, so there's no need for a monstrous grip. They do get a bit grubby but nothing a quick rub on the T-shirt won't fix.

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

I'm one of the Blue Chip Kool-Aid drinkers. I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. In the value-for-price war, though, I would consider the Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm. It's not as cool as the BC, but it's way way cheaper, and pretty close in function to the gold standard BC. Just my noob opinion. YMMV.

Dunlop 2mm Big Stubby -- 3 for a buck.

For mandolin and cello I'm currently using super-heavy Wegen Gypsy Jazz picks. But the Big Stubby does most of what the Wegen does.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Yesterday I acquired three new John Pearse SAROD picks for $2.98 each.
    One made of ebony, one made of buffalo horn and one made of camel bone. Haven't tried them on all my mandos yet, but I'm getting some very interesting tones on my weber and my eastman. The ebony, as you would imagine is giving me a very smooth warm tone, but not much volume. I really like the buffalo horn and look forward to working with the camel bone this weekend.

Pay $35 for a pick and you will quickly learn how not to loose it. Make your wife buy the next one and she will learn to check your pockets before washing. (real men do their own laundry anyway).
    But short of all this and my devoted preference for the little BlueChip40, I still like the Clayton Black Raven in 1.0mm. They make it thicker too but my believe is before the Dawg there was Big Mon and Big Mon seemed to think a 1.0 was just fine.

Registered User mandosonthemarsh's Avatar

As I have tried many picks, but the v pick with the rounded edge is by far the fastest moving pick accross the strings. I really find very little difference in tone ,between brands, at least not enough to fret over(Yes pun intended) just volume among the other picks. Move your pick up and down the neck to vary tone

Blog Entries

I think Dunlop's Ultex picks are great & cheap. Love 'em with the Thomastiks.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Dunlop 2mm Big Stubby -- 3 for a buck.
    Ditto
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    But short of all this and my devoted preference for the little BlueChip40, I still like the Clayton Black Raven in 1.0mm.
    Hey f5loar--

What is it about the Black Ravens that you like? I ran a search of the site (and of the web in general) and didn't come up with much, other than that they have a matte finish yet seem to minimize pick noise. If that is the case on both counts, then I may need to try them. While I like the feel of Dunlop Tortex picks a great deal, I've found them to be noisy when I use them.

I used to like Wegens, but of late, I've been more partial to Gibson standard heavies: I love the sound, but they seem to slide around in my fingers a lot when I strum guitar or mandolin. If I can strike the balance between the Gibsons and the Wegens with the Black Ravens, I will be a very happy camper.

Ignatius
    Last edited by Ignatius; Dec-06-2008 at 10:32pm. Reason: clarity

The Black Ravens use to be called the Black Jazz picks. They both are very hard to find. I think I found them from some internet source and got a dozen.
    They do seem to be better on holding and pick noise the the previous Clayton whites and golds I had used before. About all I can say is the blacks are of a slightly different material and if you have tried the whites and golds you will love the blacks. I can move pretty fast on a 1.0 anything but the blacks seem to be a little faster plus them seem to hold and feel better.
    And for some reason even though the BlueChips are slick looking picks they hold and feel quite good.

mandolin player wannabe leathermarshmallow's Avatar

I like the wegen picks. But I cannot get used to a thick pick. The dawgs are too thick for me.
    Greg in AZ
    Gee...I wish I didn't have such fat fingers!

The Forrest Gump of Mando Rob Powell's Avatar

Favs in order of preference:

Blue Chip TAD60 is the best all around for me. Even when strings start to go dead, I get a definition lacking in the others.

TS is fast, sounds really good.

Wegen TF-140 is faster than TS and Blue Chip not as much definition but brighter. Might work better on some mandos but not mine.

Both Red Bear Mondo Hvy and Dawg are very dark and nice. Problem is for me that they're to soft volume-wise and speed suffers.

All MHO....
    "If you can make it to 50 without growing up, you don't have to..."

Rob Powell AKA The BeerGeek

Here is a suggestion. My pas has been satisfied with brazilian agate. I paid $15 at local store. The link says $30, I dont think so. The pick is bright sounding even when strings get a little worn. There is hardly any resistance from friction, It slides across the strings. I think this is much better for speed, But thats just me. http://realrock.us/catalog/gpstandar...lianagate.html
    No I havent tried the B/C yet, and my backup is the Dunlop tortex 1.5

I think the Proplec's come the closest to the bluechip (at least in my hands). Most good acoustic music stores have a large selection of thicknesses and sizes. I think proplecs are about $1.25 so you can buy 28 for $35. I like my Bluechip and I think it is considerably better than a proplec but not 28 times better.

I've tried all of the picks mentioned above plus many more. Many of them I like for the same reasons. Between my me and my son's (guitar player) habit, we have a large bowl of picks on the living room coffee table. Probably $100 worth. I play with almost all of them for some reason or another. Most picks are cheap. Buy a bunch and try them out.

These are,indeed,good times for mandolin pickers. So many great choices,not only of instruments,but picks,strings,tuners,cases,straps...a gearhead's heaven, never before seen on this earthly plane.

Lucky us !

'Twas not always thus.

For whatever reasons(many,I'm sure) there are more man'nalin pickers and builders than ever before in history.

Technology easily brings musical genres from all over the world for our perusal. It's easy to become overwhelmed with choices. You wanna learn jazz,choro,bluegrass,rock,folk...? Learn how to maintain/set-up your instruments...May God bless Frank Ford/Frets.com and all the ones who share their wealth of knowledge and experiences so graciously.

I've enjoyed and been interested in mandolins since the late '80s. It has been a comfort and a mercy through and through for me.

Picks! Yep,Why not try them all!? Even if you don't really care for a certain pick,keep it;and,maybe later when/if your style or pick-grip changes you may be glad you kept it. I have a ridiculous pick collection.

I like changing picks pretty often;and,I like and use most of the ones talked about here,some more than others.

I will say the material and subtle,smooth bevels of the Blue Chip pick I have (a rounded TAD 60) are a very good thing in my estimation. Enough so that I hope to get another one at some point.

OK,enough pointless rambling. I got a Swing and Jazz mandolin lesson with Dix Bruce. The louder I turn them guys up,the better I sound.

c

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cameron View Post
    These are,indeed,good times for mandolin pickers. So many great choices,not only of instruments,but picks,strings,tuners,cases,straps...a gearhead's heaven, never before seen on this earthly plane.

Lucky us !

'Twas not always thus.

For whatever reasons(many,I'm sure) there are more man'nalin pickers and builders than ever before in history.
    I'm with you on a lot of this, Michael, but I'm not sure there are more mandolin pickers these days than ever before. At the turn of the last century (nineteenth to twentieth), there was probably a mandolin orchestra in every major city in the United States, and each orchestra probably had dozens of members. Orville Gibson began his company as an innovative mandolin producer, and that was because he knew that was where the money was to be made (it's the same reason he knew to move to guitars when the time was ripe).

The mando was a common sight in those days. In contrast, I regularly meet people these days who have never seen in person or heard of a mandolin, even though they realize that they actually have heard them once they hear a few notes and chords in person. I suspect, though, that this too is waning: many of the new modes of urban music (where mandos flourished in the ethnic neighborhoods in the past) are now dominated by electronics.

I do think we are in a golden age of mandolin luthiers, and the quality of many instruments today is far beyond the run of the mill of the past, but I think that quality is focused on a much smaller audience than in the past.

Ignatius

Try ordering some Wegens from the website. I got a 3 pack of 1.0, 1.3 and 1.5 M style picks for $15 (using paypal) shipped to my house. Michel is the real deal when it comes to making it easy to buy picks.
    Jason

Lefty JBovier F5 Tradition, Lefty Mid-Mo M1