Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MandoFeast East

Default Re: MandoFeast East

But at least you can see Russia from your front door!

Blog Entries

Yeah, but they are always insisting that I get a Balalika!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

I'm a country mouse Bobbie Dier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by evanreilly View Post
    He suggest that the celebration take place during Asheville First Class; an event that both he and F5Loar have haunted.
    First Class and SPBGMA are the same weekend this year ???
    I wandered again to my home in the mountains....

Hi guys,

I've been keeping an eye on this topic and I have a few suggestions. These suggestions come from an unbiased source (since I won't be able to attend) so I hope they will be helpful.

IF you want this to actually happen, SOMEONE has to become a benevolent dictator. A place must be chosen, dates must be set, it is impossible to please everyone with these choices.

Shaun Garrity has volunteered to work on this, why don't you pronounce him "Benevolent Dictator of Mandofeast" (BDM) by acclamation?

A few phone calls to the most mentioned locations might quickly clarify the location and date question. I see the top contenders as Roanoke, Asheville, or D.C. area. It would be handy to have it on a three day weekend (this may not be possible due to hotel bookings), you have one each in January and February. March starts getting into Spring Break mess.

Basically, you guys need to get with it! You're wasting valuble picking time!

Julie
    If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Good post Mandojulie. What say you Shaun? I for one, would like to see this happen.
    dwight in NC

Thank you for the nomination to be the Benevolent Dictator.......I think.

I'm willing to dive in and make this happen as long as we can get the needed support. I have a pretty good idea for it and have someone in mind that can add a lot to the event and help make it happen, though I have not spoken with him about it just yet.

If I do this, I can say with 95% certainty that it will be in the state of VA (Roanoke, Richmond or the Va Beach area, listed in order of preference) and that I'll get started on it after we get New Years out of the way. My Granddad passed away on Thursday and I'm headed back to Oklahoma for the funeral before Christmas. So I'm just not going to have the time nor be in the mood to begin until after the first of the year.

If y'all are behind it, I'll do everything I can to make it happen!

Shaun, my condolences on your grandfather's passing.
    dwight in NC

Blog Entries

Mr. Garrity had concern about posting money for start up or convention room rental. I would be willing to prepay now to collect a balance towards the costs. I would even be prepared to help out at the show for free. I still think Bristol, Tn. or Ashville NC would work well.

I think Roanoke would be a good place. Pretty centrally located and the town is very open and welcomes get togethers like this.

And Shaun is a very good pick for organizing this. I went to a house concert and workshop that he organized and it was ... very organized! LOL!

Any thing on the back burner?
    dwight in NC

I've done a little diggin' into this and tried to drum up a some support. A few people I wanted to be active participants have declined. A few others said they'd come. Some didn't even respond.
    So at this point, I don't think I'm going to go any further. It's a great idea but it's going to take some serious work as Darryl reported after trying to get LoarFest East off the ground.

The other issue is location. No one can seem to agree on where to have it. Some say Asheville, some Roanoke, some here, some there. If 30-40 people committed to coming and paid a fee up front, I could definitely make something happen in Virginia Beach. But trying to do all of this in a location that is 4-8 hours away from me adds a layer of difficulty that I just don't have the time or energy to deal with right now.

Having a day job really interferes with my hobby!!

Shaun, I for one, am very appreciative of your efforts. If we need to pay an upfront fee,
    you can count me in. I should probably be available for any other support you may need.
    Anyone else?
    dwight in NC

Bring it to Myrtle Beach on the off season! Plenty of hotels, a great state park for campers, etc. etc. etc. Something here for everyone!
    John