Thread: "goin' down to georgia" (?)

Default "goin' down to georgia" (?)

Hello folks,

I am searching for the lyrics via internet to the song known to many entitled, "Going Down To Georgia". (i.e.; "Goin' down to Georgia, Goin' down to stay..."). Is this a Stanley Brothers' tune?

I've tried a search using this title but it's possible that it goes by another title. I've checked out bluegrasslyrics.com (for one) and can't find it in any of their archives.

Anyone here know the lyrics or a website that has them or the CORRECT title for all that matter?

Thanks for any replies and help!
    'Tis better to know that you have a True Enemy than to know to have a False Friend "...(quoted by unknown).

Default Re: "goin' down to georgia" (?)

I've always meant to learn this but never got around to it. I got my version from The Shelton Brothers. It may be a bit different than a bluegrass-standard version but here are the lyrics I heard. The recording I have is an old LP copied to CD so there were some places where I had to take an educated guess.

I’m Going To Georgia

Oh it’s beefsteaks when I’m hungry, whiskey when I’m dry
    Greenbacks when I’m hard up, (sweet heaven?) When I die

Chorus:

I’m going to Georgie I’m going to stay
    I’m going to Georgie, for to worry my life away

I once loved a young man, as dear as my life
    Often he promised to make me his wife

Chorus

He fulfilled his promise to make me his wife
    You see what I’ve come to believing his lies

Chorus

My foot’s in my chair, my life is in my hand
    I’m courting you Sally to marry you if I can

Chorus

I’m going to Georgie I’m going to roam
    I’m going to Georgie to make it my home

My children are hungry I’m sick in my bed
    My husband’s a drunkard I wish I was dead

(edited to shorten post)
    Lost on the trails of The Deep North

Thanks for the reply with the lyrics, Fred! If anyone else know of any other renditions of this tune please, feel free to post it as well. I'm not at all that fimiliar with it to know if there are variations to this song. Thanks again!
    'Tis better to know that you have a True Enemy than to know to have a False Friend "...(quoted by unknown).

Was that a Red Allen tune ???

I don't know who originally did this song. I took a chance and found a pretty good rendition of it on YouTube by "The Hillbilly Gypsies". Some of the lyrics go with what Fred submitted so it does have it's variations. Anyone wanting to have a better idea (if interested) of this song check 'em out. They have two videos (out of several) of this song done at different locations. I can make the lyrics out better on the one that appears to been performed outdoors. I like it!

Thanks again to anyone who can tell me who originally recorded this song... out of curiosity.

Found it! It is a Stanley Brothers tune called "Going To Georgia" from their album, Shadows of the Past. It's pretty fast in tempo and lyrics (a live recording) but I believe if I pause it a few times I'll be able to pick up on all of the lyrics.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!