Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 12 bar blues scale?

Default Re: 12 bar blues scale?

Thanks, Hattio.

If the current overwhelming lack of interest lets up, encouraging me to revise it, I'll incorporate your suggestions.

ApK

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimRichter View Post
    I'm a blues mandolinist.
    I hope to be able to say that myself one day.

Right now I'm a mandowhacker with the blues.
    Just when I got a paddle, they added more water to the creek.

Blog Entries

ApK--I thought you did a marvelous job with your primer. I especially appreciated learning all the interval names. That was a lot of work and you deserve many thanks.
    So here's one:
    Thanks!

Phylum Octochordata Mike Bromley's Avatar
    Canucklehead from Cowgary, Oilberta. Spend half my time in Iraq. A wacky life.

Quote Originally Posted by ApK View Post
    overwhelming lack of interest
    Read: "buried in the holiday season"

Good job ApK. I'm guessing that tuckerman is immersed somewhere, not-so-quietly nursing his new-found obsession.
    Root'n Toot'n World trav'ln Rock sniff'n Microscope twiddl'n Mando Mercenary
    Tuxedo Mines
    Triggs Mandolins
    Youtube Stuff

Hey, that was easy...wonder if I needed a license to fish for compliments around here?

Seriously, thanks, guys.

And about Tuckerman, yeah, I guess it's a double edge sword, but once you can play G, C and D, there's so much to do, it's tempting to stop with all the silly book learning and just make music.
    As one book put it "Careers have been launched on less."

Hope you're having fun out there!

ApK

ApK
    Want to voice my thanks as well.

I had a bit of an incident with a jam bustin' prima donna last night that has shaken my confidence and sent me running back to the closet to learn some music theory before I venture out and try to taking a lead break again with that particular fellow. Your primer is logical, concise and easy to understand. It will keep me company nicely along with PickL's 'useful bluesy pattern for new players' while I work to regain my confidence.

ann

Phylum Octochordata Mike Bromley's Avatar
    Canucklehead from Cowgary, Oilberta. Spend half my time in Iraq. A wacky life.

Quote Originally Posted by mandoannie View Post
    ApK
    Want to voice my thanks as well.

I had a bit of an incident with a jam bustin' prima donna last night that has shaken my confidence and sent me running back to the closet to learn some music theory before I venture out and try to taking a lead break again with that particular fellow. Your primer is logical, concise and easy to understand. It will keep me company nicely along with PickL's 'useful bluesy pattern for new players' while I work to regain my confidence.

ann
    Never let a jam-busting prima donna be the reason to learn more music....

...having said that, at some point your ambition will silence the turkey once and for all!
    Root'n Toot'n World trav'ln Rock sniff'n Microscope twiddl'n Mando Mercenary
    Tuxedo Mines
    Triggs Mandolins
    Youtube Stuff

Default Re: Basic Theory Primer

Here's a belated holiday present to Tuckerman, i.p.t.mando and anyone else who thinks maybe they are missing something basic.

Attached is a first draft and I welcome (polite and constructive) feedback.

Hope you find it useful,

ApK
    ApK, thank you for this I was thinking of stopping my lessons but after reading this and asking a bunch of questions last night things are starting to click. I think I can almost always know if the discussion is of notes or chords now.

Hey, that was easy...wonder if I needed a license to fish for compliments around here?

Seriously, thanks, guys.

And about Tuckerman, yeah, I guess it's a double edge sword, but once you can play G, C and D, there's so much to do, it's tempting to stop with all the silly book learning and just make music.
    As one book put it "Careers have been launched on less."

Hope you're having fun out there!

ApK
    Yeah I don't have a book. My instructor (which I would pay just to hear him play) just has all these print outs and he scratches out cord shapes and different scales for me always with the 1,4,5 highlighted. He said I'm lucky I found him because I could have found a instructor that just hands me a book with no expiation for why the stuff in the book is important or how it relates to jamming out.

Apk
    Thanks for so simply stating what I have been trying to instill in one of my students.
    Needless to say, I have printed a hardcopy for him and have insisted that he keep it
    with him for reference 24/7. He is a great kid with no self-confidence and a learning dis-
    ability, but I have learned to present with multi views of the same information until
    the light bulb comes on. Very satisfying.
    Thanks again.
    dwight in NC

Default Re: Basic Theory Primer

Quote Originally Posted by tuckerman View Post
    ApK, thank you for this I was thinking of stopping my lessons but after reading this and asking a bunch of questions last night things are starting to click. I think I can almost always know if the discussion is of notes or chords now.
    That is truly gratifying to hear, I'm glad it was helpful!

It is possible for some people to learn to play -- really well -- by just watching and listening to another player. But if words and numbers come into it, as they must for many of us, I think it's important to be comfortable with what the words and numbers mean.

Quote Originally Posted by stratman62
    but I have learned to present with multi views of the same information until
    the light bulb comes on. Very satisfying.
    That's a mark of a good educator! Satisfying indeed!

Thanks,
    ApK

Quote Originally Posted by JimRichter View Post
    ----If the inverse wasn't true, BLUEgrass would never have existed. Apparently there is room in the mandolin for the blues. ---

I was making a joke. I'm a blues mandolinist.

JR
    And a pretty dad burn good one I might add!
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

mandoannie,
    Please don't let the jam busting prima donna keep you from playing out. If anything, I would wait until he's there and intentionally screw up. Play your best, then right before you end it, look right at him and go completely off key. He'll get the picture eventually and shut the hell up.