Thread: Knoxville Jams

Post Knoxville Jams

Looks like I may be spending some time in the Knoxville, TN area starting the new year. Any good jams around? Thanks Don

Default Re: Knoxville Jams

Don, Knoxville is a good place to hang around! There are several jams in the area each week. I'm not sure of the day (I think Tuesday evening?) but there's one west of town out Buttermilk Road right off of I-40, and one at a fire station in west Knox County. In the Maryville area, if you head out 321 towards Townsend, Music Row has one at least on Sat night, probably Friday as well (they are a mile past Blount Memorial Hospital on your right). A couple of miles or so past that on your right is Rocky BRanch Road. Turn right on Rocky Branch, go 100-200 years, and look for Rocky BRanch Community Center on your left (it's an old Elementary School). They pick every Friday night, rain or shine. In the spring and fall, there's Old TImers Day in Townsend and Cades Cove (in the National Park). I don't know the dates on those. Also, the Fall Homecoming at Museum of Appalachia in Norris in October (but it costs quite a bit just to get in there, but they have a lot of big name acts on stage so it's worthwhile). Enjoy the area!

Lynn

Thanks for the response Lynn. When I get to the area I will start shaking these spots out.

should I say, welcome to Tennessee ? BG jams are plentiful the closer you get to the TN / VA state line. stay in touch, we'll invite ya in !

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Dudenbostel View Post
    Don, Knoxville is a good place to hang around! There are several jams in the area each week. I'm not sure of the day (I think Tuesday evening?) but there's one west of town out Buttermilk Road right off of I-40 ....!

Lynn

Just to add a little to Lynn's post, the Bradbury Jam is held at the Bradbury Community Center every Tuesday and third Saturday of the month. The Buttermilk Road exit is 360 (you'll see the Soaring Eagle Campground), about 8 or 9 miles past the 40-75 split going west. When you hit the Roane County line and pass the Atomic Motor Speedway on your right, you'll be getting close. Once you take the exit, go right and the community center will be about a half mile on your left (just after the big curve).

There's also another jam on Friday's in downtown Rockwood, which is in the same county, just about 20 minutes further west.

http://www.yonderhollow.com/
    Wes
    "i gotta fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

'87 Flatiron A5-JR/'25 Gibson A-JR

Thanks for all the info. I'm looking forward to the possibility of getting to Knoxville. I will keep in touch.

Well looks like I will be pulling the old RV to Knoxville on Friday so starting next week, I will be ready to start jammin'. I located the jam at Music Row and will actually be parking the RV on Butermilk Rd on the west side. Looking forward to meeting folks in the area.

Lynn / Wes - I was able to make the Bradbury jam last night. Had a great time and met a lot of new pickers. I actually have the RV at the Soaring Eagle RV Park. Took all of 3 minutes to get to the community center. How good can it get.

Thanks to the both of you for sending me that way.

Lucky dog, I enjoy visiting my brother in Madisonville and we spend a lot of time at Music Row and Rocky Branch community center. His name is Bill Kirkland, and he is a pretty mean guitar player. Look him up and play a tune. Jim