Thread: An interesting 'How to buy a mando' link

Default An interesting 'How to buy a mando' link

Hi,

Rob here, an average guitar player looking to get into mandolin. Rather than asking for recommendations I think that I will proactively take the good advice I have seen elsewhere and go out and play a bunch and develop some preferences. Then I'll let you know what I am thinking and people can chime in. I will say that I have thoroughly perused these boards and have exchanged PM's and emails with members and builders that have been extremely helpful. This place is fun, friendly, and informative.

Here is a link that I found that I thought was pretty good. It is a tour, of sorts, of some the mandolins at Mandolin Brothers in New York. Looks like a great place to browse. Not sure if somebody else has posted this before, I used the search function but didn't find it so I thought I would post it. There are 4 short videos, each about 5 minutes or less, in the first one about halfway through, one of the guys (I think it is Brad) mentions the Mandolin Cafe. Anyway, here you go, more later on my mandolin choices.

Rob

http://www.smokemusic.tv/content/how-buy-mandolin#

Default Re: An interesting 'How to buy a mando' link

Thanks Rob, that was a very interesting visit to Mandolin Bros.
    Regards

Phil T

Thanks. I enjoyed all 4 videos.
    All those mandos and so little time....

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

That's a great resource. We get a lot of posts around the difference between A and F, and oval and FF, etc. It's all laid out on that site. Yep.

Edit to add: That Fletcher Brock on clip #3 is a Hoss!

Quote Originally Posted by robw95 View Post
    There are 4 short videos, each about 5 minutes or less, in the first one about halfway through, one of the guys (I think it is Brad) mentions the Mandolin Cafe.
    Brad is a frequent poster here (bradeinhorn username).

Just bumping this link.

Vey cool video. I would suggest all who who have not been to the Mando Bros showroom to check this out.

From the Mando Bros website:

"ANNOUNCING NEW VIDEO ON THE INTERNET: AVISIT TO MANDOLIN BROTHERS SHOWROOM
    - “How to Buy a Mandolin – Parts I and II” (by Bob Moses) has recently been posted at the following link: http://www.smokemusic.tv/content/how-buy-mandolin# The producers write: ”Doing our part to convert the rest of the world’s guitarists into mando players, we brought Brad Einhorn, a local fixture on the Brooklyn bluegrass scene, to Mandolin Brothers in Staten Island, a world-famous repository of mandolins — and a repository of wisdom in the form of owner Stan Jay. Stan has counseled players from the world famous to the just-starting on mandolin purchases, and, as you’ll see in our video interview, no one has more enthusiasm for the instrument.” In the two-part video Brad and Stan try out mandolins by Collings, Gibson, Phoenix, and compare them to prewar Gibson A-styles. We discuss why certain models sound the way they do. It’s very interesting and if you haven’t been to our shop it may be the next best thing to visiting. "
    Dave