Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kentucky Mandolin info

Default Re: Kentucky Mandolin info

Thank you for your reply and the information, I am a raw novice in this area and appreciate any info you can give me, one last question as I continue to be a good bit behind the rest of you guys, are you saying that there were only 48 of the km-2000's made? or just 48 made by the gentleman from japan(I am assuming he was fron there). thanks again and forgive my ignorance, Butch

What Scott wrote above is correct

Sumi was the sole builder in Maruko in the last few years of the Kentucky project. After the team was broken up he assumed sole luthier status. He bought the shop from the sawdust to the jigs from Tahara san.

I met Sumi in late 1990 or early 1991 and he was building KM 1000 KM 1500 and Dawg style mandolins by himself.

Then as the economy tightened it became not economically viable to make the KM1000 so he stopped, and by late 1992 it just became impossible to survive on the money making only Kentucky brand instruments as there was preasure for him to lower his price. At the same time he was becomming very well known here on his own right. So he resigned his position with Kentucky completely

I will have to check with Sumi as to the year they started making the Dawg style but its easy to do as the hand carved and braced top and back made by Monteleone as building guides are still hanging on the wall in a dust covered corner and they are signed and dated by John

The early days of the Dawgs project may very well have started when the team was still in tact but the team was long gone when I met Sumi in 1990 and he was on his own. The dated top and back plates will confirm this

Its always interesting at ibma, people often bring their old Kentuckys for Sumi to see. Almost always when someone opens an old Dawg style case Sumi can remember THAT instrument. They were so special and so few were made that he usually remembers them

After the holiday Ill ask Sumi for some input here

Scott

You know a lot about Kentucky mandolins. Please tell me, I have a Kentucky KM-1000 said to be built in 2006. Could you tell me anything about that year. Were they suppose to be building good KM-1000's that year? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks Larry

As in fine wines 2006 was indeed a very good year for km1000s and 2011 is turning out to be a fantastic year for the km1500s.

Does anyone know about how many of the KM-1000 they built in 2006. I've done a search on google and find zero for sale and no references at all during this year. Can I identify the year by serial #? Larry

Thank you very much for your response f5loar.

Quote Originally Posted by 45ACP-GDLF5 View Post
    If this is a copycat of the DAWG model, then it's value would only be around $2000 max. Sumi only built the KM1000's 1500's and only 48 DAWG models. Sumi worked with David Grisman in creating the DAWG model based on the Monteleone.

It's VERY odd that the serial number is handwritten. I've handled and played Kentuckys for over 25 years and I've NEVER seen a serial number that was handwritten. Even the Korean and Chinese models were ink-stamped serial numbers. Was this model built in Japan??
    Hi 45ACP-GDLF5 I have a KM-380S s/n 03060203 that is for sure handwritten. Bought it second hand and have played the heck out of it for several years. I lve in Mooresville but was raised in Rutherford county, probably not too far from you. Richard Mauney
    Richard Mauney

Since this thread was brought up, let me state for the records

Kentucky built 48 TOTAL Dawg style mandolins. They were labeled BOTH KM Dawg and KM- 2000

There were so many serial numbering systems that even Saga cant understand them. I PERSONALLY saw them hand writing serial numbers on labels, so thats a non isasue. There was a time when the Maruko shop shipped mandolins with no labels and they were put in in San Francisco

I found a picture the other day of my first visit to the Maruko shop and its dated 1989, So Sumi and I have beren close friends since then

After Sumi stopped making Kentucky in late 1992 they moved to Korea.

There has NEVER been a single bootleg Kentucky mandolin made that I know of. There are however a couple totally unique Kentuckys made by Sumi that have never been officially recorded including the first Dawg oval hole made in 1992 or so.

Scott

Thanks Scott but to me if it looks like a DAWG and barks like a DAWG then it's likely a DAWG no matter how you label it.
    I always thought the KM2000 was the number model for the DAWG model inspired by Montelone and Grisman.
    At least they didn't confuse things when they recently came out with the KM5000.

Glad I found this thread. I have been trying to find out some information on Kentucky mandolins for quite some time. I emailed the Saga company a while back but never got a reply. I have a KM-700 which I believe was made in the 80's. The serial number is 11333. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is a picture...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Mandolin.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	206.0 KB 
ID:	79921

Your mandolin was made at the Kasuga factory in Japan, they made all Kentucky mandolins below KM 1000

Scott

Thanks. Any idea what year and an estimated value?

Blog Entries

Very strange choice of wood on the back, there....surprising.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    Very strange choice of wood on the back, there....surprising.
    I'm glad you pointed that out. Suddenly I feel a whole lot better about the back of my new KM-1000.

I am trying to find out some info on a Kentucky Mandolin serial number 19723, model KM1000. I am interested in purchasing it. The owner says it's a late 70's model and it's all Black. Does anyone know what year that serial number is and where it was built. Is this a Sumi era built model. Any info would help me make a decision on the purchase.
    Thanks

Never seen an all black one. Just sayin'

If the serial number reads 197 23 then it is def. late 70's. My guess would be '77-'79. Mine reads 206 09 and was built in 1980. Back then you couldn't figure out the year by the serial number. You had to contact Saga as I did. Today Saga won't be able to help you with a mando that far back.

A solid black KM-1000 sounds kinda odd. I would ask for detailed pics of the instrument before proceeding with the sale if possible.
    Molon Labe

SO how do you know if you have a Kentucky Dawg? Tks

Would the serial number indicate a 1991 build or am I being too simplistic?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

That is a gorgeous mandolin! Love the color and peghead shape. However, I just realized that this is an old posting. Oops
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Quote Originally Posted by Mlalonde View Post
    SO how do you know if you have a Kentucky Dawg? Tks
    Ask if it prefers bourbon or just any old whiskey.

No, seriously, if it looks like this and says KM-DAWG on the label, then it's a Kentucky Dawg.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kmdawg.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	192827

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    I just realized that this is an old posting.
    I am glad that one of us realized it!