Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kimble A5

Default Kimble A5

OK, I''ve had this mandolin for three months now and it's time for a review. But it'll be a short one, because all I can say is WOW!!!

Yeah, I know it's disappointing. You'd rather like me to describe its tremendous sound, its great playability, its awesome responsiveness... But I won't do it. All I can say is WOW!!!

But this I can tell y'all: When I was talking to Will about my choice of top wood, I was first a bit anxious about chosing engelmann. I know that Will is using red spruce mostly these days, searching for the Loar-sound, and I was afraid that I would miss out on that if I chose engelmann. But I wanted the warm and responsive sound of engelmann, so I decided to go in that direction. I was prepared for a less dynamic instrument, one I couldn't drive as hard. But I was WRONG!!! This mandolin is a beast... IF I choose to turn it to one. And with a gentle hand it's truely sweet. This really proves to me that the choice of luthier is more important than the choice of wood.

This is my fourth instrument. First one I owned was a Furch. The difference between that one and my next, a Collings MT, was remarkable. When I got my Pomeroy F5 the Collings never went out of its case, so I sold it. But this Kimble mandolin, all I can say is WOW!!! It's not like comparing apples and oranges, more like comparing water to wine. The other mandolins where good, in a basic kind of way. They nourished my interest in mandolin playing and kept it alive. But the Kimble is intoxicating.

Would also like to take the opportunity to thank Will Kimble and Jonathan Peck for helping me to get this wonderful instrument in my hands. I truely appreciate the extra labour you both put down. THANKS!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ON_Front_Long.jpg 
Views:	623 
Size:	276.4 KB 
ID:	37568   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ON_Front.jpg 
Views:	588 
Size:	291.2 KB 
ID:	37569   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ON_Back_Long.jpg 
Views:	529 
Size:	226.9 KB 
ID:	37570  

Last edited by Oggy; Jan-06-2009 at 8:01am.

Default Re: Kimble A5

That's really nice, Oskar. Will makes a great mandolin. Mine has a Carpathian spruce top and it's got bark for days. I feel lucky to have gotten it. It was definitely the best impulse buy I've ever made.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    The other mandolins where good, in a basic kind of way. They nourished my interest in mandolin playing and kept it alive. But the Kimble is intoxicating.
    That is about the best description of a high end mandolin that I've ever heard. Good choice with the Englemann top. In the right hands it makes for an extremely expressive mandolin. Beautiful mandolin by the way. Will is definitely on top of his game!

Blog Entries

That is a beautiful mandolin right there.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Congrads, Oskar!! I'll be taking ownership of a Kimble A5 soon, and thanks for making the remainder of my wait even more torturous

ENJOY!!

Cheryl

Quote Originally Posted by cwtwang View Post
    ...thanks for making the remainder of my wait even more torturous...
    Well I don't feel sorry for you. You have a Kimble F5 already...

Hey Chris! I just changed my avatar. Lets start a club for Kimble A5 owners. That headstock will be our special sign.

Blog Entries

Hey Chris! I just changed my avatar. Lets start a club for Kimble A5 owners. That headstock will be our special sign.
    ...and what a "special" sign it is! I think that Kimble headstock is simply a thing of true beauty!! Congradulations!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

Will is truly an artist and every one of his I've seen have been great!
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

There's nothing quite like having an instrument that makes you say "WOW". Congratulatios! Will makes a awesome mandolin!

Well I don't feel sorry for you. You have a Kimble F5 already...

A running thread of "Let's See Pics of Your Kimble" would be great! Will seems to have always liked the old Gibson headstock inlay design from the A3s;so maybe "Let's See Pics of Your Kimble and/or A3 Gibsons" would be even better!?

I have Kimble A5,#12 from May,'02. I believe it was his first blacktop mando(?).Red spruce top. The back&sides are a deep-red(hence,the name is Vincent,for "Vincent Black Lightning"..."red&black,my favourite color-scheme"). Going on 7 years old,this mandolin has been dearly loved and played daily.

#12 has a more Collings-like,"haircut"-style peghead shape,with the part on the opposite side from a Collings. The peghead inlay,I just asked Will to do whatever he liked. OK,I gotta get some pics if I'm gonna be in "The Kimble Club". Woof.

Cheryl,Chris,what are the serial numbers of yall's Kimbles?

Congrats,Oskar! #144 is ... WOW!

Here are a few pics of mine, although I have had them in my album for quite a while. It's #148 bought new in late August if memory serves me correctly. Pretty similar to Oskar's, except for the two-piece back, unbound pickguard and Carpathian spruce top. It's awesome.

Name:	user12660_pic80_1221101399.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	37591   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	user12660_pic81_1221101399.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	37592  
    Heiden F-5 #110
    $1.35 in assorted change

My Kimble F5 is #13 and has been played a lot. It has a nicely figured spruce back (not sure what species) and a German spruce top. It is loud, toneful and is super easy to play. It records well, mics well, and is a great jam mandolin too.

My new A5 will probably be in the 150s as far as the serial number. Love that (front and back) burst on Oskar's.

Cheryl

Here's mine (for now)

Name:	PP101 Front.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	254.7 KB 
ID:	37593   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PP101 Headstock.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	185.9 KB 
ID:	37594  

Thanks to all for sharing Kimble pics! They are beautiful. Englemann,Carpathian,red spruce,; just wondering if Will ever used Sitka?

More Kimble pics,please.

My camera is on the fritz...

Blog Entries

Will, in my opinion, is the best. Great guy, great musician, and a true artist. I've owned several of Will's through different periods and am currently the proud owner of a recent production A5 as well as an incredible octave.

Welcome to the club!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JimRichter View Post
    Will, in my opinion, is the best. Great guy, great musician, and a true artist. I've owned several of Will's through different periods and am currently the proud owner of a recent production A5 as well as an incredible octave.

Welcome to the club!

Jim
    They really are great. You unknowingly stoked my interest in his mandolins. I'm glad you did. Are you still getting the Gil oval?
    Heiden F-5 #110
    $1.35 in assorted change

Blog Entries

Nope, no Gil oval. Money spent on other things, including the Kimble octave. Frankly, a much smarter and practical purchase.

Here are two pics of my Kimble F5 #13 when it was new--Will's first F. It has since been fitted with a James tailpiece.

Cheryl

Name:	My_Kimble_top.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	37639   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My_Kimble_back.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	37640  

Cheryl,that is a beauty! Now where can I go to hear you play it?

Flat fb? Sitka?

Am I too nosey?

c

Here are a couple of photos of my Kimbles. The A5 is number 6 and has two different tonewoods on the top. Englemann on the bass side and Red Spruce on the treble. Here is some information from an early comando tasting out in California. I bought it 4-5 years ago. http://www.humblepress.com/CoMando/NewFiles/Page2.html

The F5 is number 35 and belonged to Mike Stangeland. I've had it maybe 3 years. Both are really great mandolins. Huge deep chop. The mids on the A5 really pop. I'm proud to own them. Have tried a lot of other mandolins, you know, always looking for something else that is a step up, I have not found it.
    Isn't time for a Kimblefest? or a least get Will to get some hats or t-shirts made.

Name:	Kimbles front.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	37641   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kimbles back.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	37642  

MC, #13 has a German spruce top and maple back and sides-don't know what species it is. The FB radius is slight, a 16" radius and it has banjo frets.

PM me because I lost your email when my 'puter crashed, if you want a few sound clips of it which are from my in progress album.

Cheryl

I've played Oskars Kimble, and it surely get's a WOW! from me too. Just an amazing instrument. Never played anything even close to this mandolin, it's outrageous!

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My Kimble dola. A thing of beauty:

Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

I currently have two Kimbles. F5's number 116 and 117......the ying and the yang....engleman vs red spruce....flat board vs curved.....fern vs flower pot....side bound vs top bound....bound pick guard vs unbound.....scooped fretboard extension vs truncated . They both are cannons....each different in their own ways.

I have played Jim's A5......same tonality as an F5.....so if you don't have the money for a scroll or frankly aren't a scroll slave...(like me) then plunk your bucks down and get an A5 from him. It will blow your socks off.

Really a beautiful A from a great builder and really nice guy! Congrats-I hope it serves you well.