Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Light case suggestions for Traveler or other pancakes

Default Re: Light case suggestions for Traveler or other pancakes

My biggest challenge was finding 1/4" #2 round-head phillips-head wood screws in brass, but I found slot-heads at the local Ace that worked out fine. (The ones that came with the case were black, so that didn't work out well when I turned the badge over.)
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Hey Steve,
    If you can do the same with my case, go for it!

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

For anyone so inclined, it looks like the Bobelock fiberglass case will work for the Traveler. Chad at Greg Boyd's took a couple of measurements of one for me, and I marked up the attached pic with his numbers.

(Jill -- might this also work for your short-necked A?)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1060_FiberglassMandolinCase_15 (marked up).JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	46524  
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Jim,

I went to the NJ CBOM-O-RAMA this past weekend. Steve Leech had a TKL case for his Big Muddy A mandolin. He let me try the case out w/ my Traveler. except a little bit of extra headstock space, the Traveler fit perfectly. I have ordered myself a TKL case.<g>
    Angel Cruz
    Russ Morin Resonator Ukulele, Coqui Cuatro, RiveraIntruments Cuatro, Manuel Morgado Cuatro, '09 Gypsy Octave Mandolin #110909047, '09 Redline Traveler #36, '82 Flatiron 1N #82081665, Morgan Monroe MMR-2

That's good news, Angel. Which TKL case was it, the Zero Gravity light-case perchance?
    (link to TKL web site)
    ~ Mark Twain

don't know the exact model; i just called Mike Dulak told him i wanted the case he uses for his A style mandolins. i should know on when i receive it.
    Angel Cruz
    Russ Morin Resonator Ukulele, Coqui Cuatro, RiveraIntruments Cuatro, Manuel Morgado Cuatro, '09 Gypsy Octave Mandolin #110909047, '09 Redline Traveler #36, '82 Flatiron 1N #82081665, Morgan Monroe MMR-2

Was it a light-case, or a conventional hardcase?
    ~ Mark Twain

Blog Entries

Jim it was a TKL Hard case that Mike Dulak has them make for the Mid Mo Big Muddy line. It might be fastest to give Mike Dulak a call...

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Mike tells me that TKL makes a custom case for his mandolins. it is what i call a deluxe hard case. it is velvet cushioned and it has an accessory compartment. Like Jamie said, it would be best if you call Mike.
    Angel Cruz

Hey fellow Traveler owners!

I just received the TKL case from Mike Dulak and here is what it looks w/ the Traveler inside. the bottom bout is like fingers in a custom glove. there is a little space above the headstock and that is fine w/ me as i place the strap and the tuner there.<there is an accessory compartment as well as some space right before the heel>

THANKS Mike!

Name:	TKL-case_closed-sm.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	46561   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TKL-case_opened1-sm.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	46562   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TKL-case_opened 2-sm.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	46563  

Last edited by acruzn; Oct-08-2009 at 7:52pm.
    Angel Cruz

That's great news Angel. That looks just like the standard TKL A-style case you see in the market (pictured below), but without the interior gear compartment so that it will work for shorter neck on the Big Muddy. So, I think you've found a replacement for the Breedlove case that is no longer available, plus perhaps for those looking for cases for other short necked A-styles. How much did Mike charge you for that one?

Update on the Bobelock fiberglass case: Danny Clark measured one of the Bobelock fiberglass cases that he sells. The max body width is 10", and the distance from the tailpiece end of the case to the neck block is 18-1/4", so that should work for anyone wanted a fiberglass case.

Update on a light case option: I am revisiting the TKL Zero Gravity case after Angel found that Mike Dulak's TKL A-style case will work for us. I am awaiting feedback from TKL on the tailpiece-to-neckblock measurement, the key go/no-go measurement from my experience, and will update this thread once received.

Name:	TKL A-style.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	46564  
    Last edited by Jim MacDaniel; Oct-08-2009 at 7:35pm.
    ~ Mark Twain

Jim,

i am thinking what you call an interior gear compartment is what i call an accessory compartment. i can place the tuner, pick-bag, etc in it. also i should have said there is a neck cradle on top of the accessory compartment.<the one you pictured doesn't have one> the tuners clear the accessory compartment by 1/2 inch. so between the neck cradle and the snugness of the body, this mando does not move while in the case.
    Angel Cruz

That's good to know. Too bad I already have a Breedlove case, as I think I prefer the fit on yours.

BTW, how much did Mike charge you for yours?
    ~ Mark Twain

$110
    Angel Cruz

Looks like Protec is making mandolin cases again. This one at MF looks like a HSC this time around, but they added an interior gear compartment that could get in the way of the headstock given the Traveler's shorter neck, but it might be worth looking into by anyone looking for a HSC for their Traveler, since MF accepts returns IIRC.

BTW, this Protec case seems like an interesting solution for anyone their keeps their herd in cases when not in use, since it has a plexiglass panel above the headstock so you can see what mandolin is in the case without opening it up.
    ~ Mark Twain

Would any of these case be a snug fit for my Gibson mando banjo? I would rather keep the original 1918 case at home when I take the instrument out. It has been interesting trying to find a case due to the size of these critters.