Thread: Amarillo teacher/pickers

Default Amarillo teacher/pickers

I am just getting back into mandolin playing after a year or so break. I am looking into a couple of mandos listed in the classifieds and will pull the trigger within a week or so. Anyhow, do we have any teacher or pickers in Amarillo TX.

Thanks guys

kirk

Blog Entries

Default Re: Amarillo teacher/pickers

Kirk,
    I saw some on facebook, but have not connected. I'm about 120 miles away, but if you are gonna pick, I could probably come down.

I was hoping to located a teacher or at least a few guys to play with once a week or so. I played for about 9 months and quit because I hit a wall in learning and coundn't find a teacher. We have since moved to Amarillo and I am wanting to get back into the mando but I understand that I would like some instruction up front.

kirk

Hi Kirk, I don't have any info on teachers in amarillo, but I have a phone # for the Panhandle Bluegrass and Old Time Music Assoc. the # is 806-622-0631. I don't know how current the info is. You might get info from the music stores there.

Stanley
    Great Granpas are just Antique little boys.

Pick up a STORM

Thank you Mr. Cox.

The stores in the area or either geared to horns or electric guitars. And then we have a guitar center.

The man who owns the cigar store does play perhaps I should just start hanging out at the local smoke shop.

kirk

Kirk, The link is pboma.org They should get you any info in Amarillo.
    Stanley
    Great Granpas are just Antique little boys.

Pick up a STORM

I live right here in Amarillo and have played for a very long time. Email me and I will get you going into the scene. There is a good winter indoor jam in about 10 days.
    It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

About a year and a half ago I spent a month in Amarillo, while my wife was in the hospital there, and I remember a music store downtown that had a jam session during the day either during the week or maybe Saturday? Anyway they seemed to be some nice folk when I visited and played a little backup on guitar. Maybe 2-3 mandos in the jam as well as banjos, fiddles, bass etc.. I believe thaty the owner of the store lived in the place and it was right in the old downtown. Best, Billy Bean

Anyone know of any jams in southern Mississippi on the coast? I'm in Gulfport and am aware of something over in Mobile but am wanting to be able to get with someone closer. Thanks, Billy Bean

Billy I would try to hollar at Andy McDonald of Fat Man Squeeze. He is a guitar plpayer but Fat Man plays all over the coast and he would know of the jams for sure. He was giving lessons out of Pickers Paradise in Loxley AL.

kirk

Thanks for the info, Kirk. I'll try to get in touch w/ Fat Man . Billy

I am sure andy mac has a myspace or something like that.

kirk