Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non leather braided strap

Default Non leather braided strap

I was wondering if anybody knows where I can get a braided strap that's not leather. I love the look of Bailey's, but leather isn't my preference most of the time. I know some used to be made from paracord, but sadly that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. If I'm not mistaken, the picture on the main web page is of a paracord strap, which is pretty much exactly what I want. I don't have the necessary skills to do such a thing myself (or at least not make a complete mess of it), so does anybody have any recommendations where I can get what I'm looking for?

Default Re: Non leather braided strap

Check out - www.jbguitarstraps.com - John Brown's 'wider' Mandolin straps are super comfortable
    & superbly made,
    Saska
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ivan's Mando strap 2.jpg 
Views:	1036 
Size:	155.9 KB 
ID:	37945  
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Formerly Know As B-MAN Bret Roberts's Avatar
    Back in Minnesota after 27 years in Europe

You may get a few ideas from this older thread,

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ghlight=scooby

hope it helps.
    "I'm not a loser. The fact that I didn't put a gun in my mouth years ago - that little fact makes me a winner, baby. (Al Bundy)"

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

[QUOTE=Ken_P;616745]...I don't have the necessary skills to do such a thing myself (or at least not make a complete mess of it),.../QUOTE]

It's certainly fine if you don't want to make a strap yourself, Ken. But don't sell yourself short. It's WAY easier to learn to braid a simple strap than it is to learn to play a mandolin.
    One who knows.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

A flat three cord braid is really pretty simple. You can find instructions online and the material can be had for $2-3. Worth taking a shot.

Vegan mandolin player here, so no leather products for me.
    I use a Bailey Strap, and love it.
    john

Quote Originally Posted by herbsandspices View Post
    Vegan mandolin player here, so no leather products for me.
    I use a Bailey Strap, and love it.
    john
    According to the OP the non-leather Bailey straps are no longer being made.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Snyder View Post
    According to the OP the non-leather Bailey straps are no longer being made.
    Oh no! You might want to write Bill Bailey to see if he would make one for you!

I like Bill's idea of making your own - I'd like to learn how to as well.

Otherwise, there's another online forum dedicated to flashlights called CandlePowerForums, which I'm a member of, and there's a fellow who makes custom paracord lanyards (for lights, knives, etc.) - you specify the colors, style, and length, and he makes it!

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=181728

Might be worth checking out.

Good luck!

john

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Snyder View Post
    A flat three cord braid is really pretty simple. You can find instructions online and the material can be had for $2-3. Worth taking a shot.
    Forgive my ignorance, but could you point me in the right direction to get materials and proper instructions? I've done a few searches online, but haven't come up with anything that looks like it'll really help for this kind of project. Thanks!

You can get paracord at www.lighthound.com, here: http://www.lighthound.com/Lanyards-a...lies_c_50.html - it's cheap (15¢ a foot), and lots-o-colors. I've ordered from them before, and they're great.
    john

11. The following members say thank you to herbsandspices for this post:

Get the paracord at any army navy store. It's cheap. You could probably find it at Home Depot or most hardware stores.

Google either a 4 or 6 plait round braid. Will get you close to what you want, depending on the thickness of the strap you're looking for. It's not hard, just takes a little patience.

When I was learning, I started off with a 4 plait round braid. I used two different colors of paracord so I could keep track of my braids. Made it easy and looks pretty good.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Braiding Link

Scroll down the page for various types of braiding, both flat & round.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Thanks for the help everybody. I'm afraid I decided to chicken out on attempting it myself, though. The good news is that I've been in contact with Bill Bailey, and he's agreed to make me what I want out of cord. Doubly good news is that he's decided to keep a small stock of it on hand in case others want non leather straps from him! He couldn't have been nicer about the whole thing, and I can't wait to get the finished product!

Great to hear, Ken.

For anyone wanting to try to make a flat, three cord strap this video shows how to do the braiding.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	braid.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	38095  

Just want to post a quick follow up - I got my strap from Bill Bailey in the mail today and it's fantastic! Looks pretty much the same as his leather ones, but with paracord. Attached it to my mandolin easily and it feels great. Bill was a joy to work with and offers a top quality product.

Just want to add my 2 cents to an old thread. I'm a longtime vegan and have been searching for a vegan strap for a while. I finally contacted the people who make my wallet and guitar straps, couch guitar straps, and asked them to consider making a vegan ukule/mandolin strap. I shared a video of a strap that comes close, the neotech mandolin strap but it has leather and that is a no go for me. I'm hoping if I nag couch we can have some seriously funky, cool guitar straps. They do make some of the coolest guitar straps in the business: vegan or not. So for them to add mandolin/uke straps to their lineup would be so very cool. Look them on facebook and tell them you want a vegan mandolin strap.

Mark

Just found this video. I'm going to make one of these babies for mandolin and ukulele. This is easy peasy. I like couch guitar straps for my guitar but this strap is the perfect thickness for a smaller instrument.

Yay. Just want to share that Couch Guitar Straps has made a Vegan Mandolin Strap. What I love about all of their products is that they make everything from reclaimed materials. All of their guitar straps, wallets, camera straps, bags, are made from vintage vinyl that would end up in a dump if they didn't purchase and repurpose these as something new.

http://www.couchguitarstraps.com/odd...lin-strap.html

Quote Originally Posted by herbsandspices View Post
    Oh no! You might want to write Bill Bailey to see if he would make one for you!

I like Bill's idea of making your own - I'd like to learn how to as well.

Otherwise, there's another online forum dedicated to flashlights called CandlePowerForums, which I'm a member of, and there's a fellow who makes custom paracord lanyards (for lights, knives, etc.) - you specify the colors, style, and length, and he makes it!

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=181728

Might be worth checking out.

Good luck!

john
    Oh man, thank you for this! I've been looking for this exact kind of strap! You're a Godsent!

EDIT: Sorry for bumping an old thread, I wanted to show my gratitude..I had to dig to find this post!

Natural Born Tar Heel Perilous Deep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marcodamusician View Post
    Yay. Just want to share that Couch Guitar Straps has made a Vegan Mandolin Strap. What I love about all of their products is that they make everything from reclaimed materials. All of their guitar straps, wallets, camera straps, bags, are made from vintage vinyl that would end up in a dump if they didn't purchase and repurpose these as something new.

http://www.couchguitarstraps.com/odd...lin-strap.html
    Does anyone have one of these Couch mandolin straps? Do they have much grip on your shoulder/shirt, or will they kind of slide around? I'm looking for a strap that helps keep the instrument in one spot on my shoulder rather than sort of inching down as I play and thus requiring pressure from the fretting hand or picking hand.

I use a piece of leather, but tie it to the headstock and it doesn't slip when tied there. I don't like it in my way, so it goes around tuners and not by the nut. Been doing it that way for several decades now, makes it easier to get on and off too.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Natural Born Tar Heel Perilous Deep's Avatar

I'm specifically interested in this strap because of the non-leather angle, though. But I should specify: I have my current strap, which is little more than a glorified shoe string, looped around the scroll. The mandolin sits a little head-heavy for my taste with that setup. I should consider moving the strap the headstock, I'm pretty sure that would take care of the issue. But I am curious how folks get their mandolins to hang without slipping down when they have the strap on the scroll. I was figuring that a strap with a certain amount of tackiness, like unfinished leather, would help. And I was wondering if this approximated that texture and grip at all.

I do have another mandolin with a shoe string on the headstock and it stays put too. I would think an F model would be too neck heavy to tie on the scroll and not hold it up with the left hand.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by music2myears View Post
    Oh man, thank you for this! I've been looking for this exact kind of strap! You're a Godsent!

EDIT: Sorry for bumping an old thread, I wanted to show my gratitude..I had to dig to find this post!
    Just clicked on that old thread, and it looks like he no longer is taking custom orders! Hopefully you find something!