Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Larrivee mandolins

Default Re: Larrivee mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by red7flag View Post
    Ken Olmstead's thread when he reviewed his experience with a Larrivee "F".

A thanks to Lawn Jockey for providing a link to Ken's thread that provided Ken's very informative review the the F style Larrivee. I really liked, not only the physical comparison to Collings that has also been voiced in this thread, but a tonal comparison with Weber that has not. Now, I would really like to play one of those puppies for yucks if nothing else.
    I read just about everything I could find about these, and that ain't much and it's mostly all 10-12 years old, and I'm still a bit flummoxed by all the shade thrown on the scroll. I'll tell you what, all subjectivity kindly considered, this is one sweet sounding, and looking, mandolin to my ears and eyes. Couldn't be happier.

Smile Re: Larrivee mandolins

I think that numerous Larrivee guitar owners would be interested in any new Larrivee mandolin shape as these guitarists are already Larrivee fans but getting a new shape right for the general market is another thing.

Personally speaking I've never liked the Rigel or Breedlove shape and they have tried to be a bit different. I think Larrivee would want something that the market wants: An accepted shape from a great manufacturer's name.

I think the Gibson F style shape takes a bit of beating although I don;t really care foe the bottom point. When sitting down it sticks in my leg. I know others who feel the same. I had Barry Kratzer make me an F4 without that point and it looks brilliant. That would have been an option. Anything without the body scroll becaomes an A model. It;s the old 'thousand dollar scroll' syndrome. Peiople love it.

Unusual shapes are not going to sell in numbers.