Thread: Ashland, VA

Default Ashland, VA

Got my new issue of BU yesterday. In the back on page 54 under "now appearing bluegrass music" for VA - it says "Ashland Coffee and Tea-shows weekly. Jam 2nd & 4th Tues. 6p.m". Anyone know anything about the jam?

Default Re: Ashland, VA

I don't, but ping b/c I'd like to know more... Fatt-dad, Tripp?
    /* no comment */

Never been to the jam but they have high caliber entertainment that rolls through there on a regular basis. It is definantly a neat place with great coffee and great food as well. It has a cool vibe about it. If you are nearby, check it out. Chuck

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I just called them and the woman that answered knew nothing about this at all. I think a few local guys tried this for awhile and I bet it was a couple of years ago that I last heard of this. It would be fun, but I have a few other jams that I go to in Richmond on a monthly basis and when the bell whistles at the salt mine, I leave Ashland for home. Ashland is a nice town though. . .

f-d

Barry, you go to the circus show at the University of Richmond last night. It's running tonight and highly recommended.
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I have heard they are or have already sold AC&T....it is my favorite spot for live music. But it may seem that is only going to last a bit longer. From what I understand the new owner doesn't believe there should be a listening room.

Quote Originally Posted by Dfyngravity View Post
    I have heard they are or have already sold AC&T....it is my favorite spot for live music. But it may seem that is only going to last a bit longer. From what I understand the new owner doesn't believe there should be a listening room.
    Oh, say it ain't so. That is _the_ place to hear music in the Richmond area, in my opinion. Not quite the same character/history, but, in essence, our little Prism -- which also had an untimely demise.
    /* no comment */

blawson, I am affriad it is...atleast from what I have heard. I went to Randolph Macon so I was able to see a lot of shows. In fact I have been going there for 8+ years to see music.

Oh the Prism! Man, I loved the Prism.

Why do all of these great places have to go. I saw one of OSFT's first shows when they played with LRB, it wasn't at AC&T, but I have seen every one of their shows their. What a great place to see live music.

Hopefully we will have another place...but it may just be the National for now.

too bad! I loved going to AC&T! Everyone was there to listen to the music so you didn't have all that *%$# chattering going on, and the fact it's non-smoking was a plus as well. It was really easy for me to get to also. There wasn't a bad seat in the house. I saw OSFT there plus a bunch of others. hey fatt-dad - are any of those jams you go to in Richmond "open" jams? I'd like to hear about them if they are.

Hi Tina Bee, just thought I'd jump in and let you (and anyone else) know that my wife, Jenny and I run a jam on Sundays from 2 - 5 at Cary Street Cafe in Richmond (5 1/2 years now, whew!!!). It is mostly old-time but we may play a little bluegrass depending on who's there that day. It is a jam open to stringed instrument players wanting to play and/or learn tunes and meet others doing the same. Come on by, it's a friendly and (for the most part) harmless group of folks.

I don't know what's going on at AC&T, from what I understand, the jam that you're talking about at AC&T folded about 2 or 3 years ago.

Ah yes, The Prism...sigh......