Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kentucky KM-1000 v. The Loar LM-700-VS (and/or LM-600-VS)

Default Kentucky KM-1000 v. The Loar LM-700-VS (and/or LM-600-VS)

I am interested in these mandolins, but no dealer near me seems to have them in stock.

Is there anyone who has played both of these instruments and can provide a comparision regarding tone, volume, playability, etc. ?

Also, what are the differences between The Loar LM-700-VS and the LM-600-VS?

Thanks.

Default Re: Kentucky KM-1000 v. The Loar LM-700-VS (and/or LM-600-VS)

Quote Originally Posted by Flyphish View Post
    I am interested in these mandolins, but no dealer near me seems to have them in stock.

Is there anyone who has played both of these instruments and can provide a comparision regarding tone, volume, playability, etc. ?

Also, what are the differences between The Loar LM-700-VS and the LM-600-VS?

Thanks.
    Have not played either, but if you have not already, search the web and this forums to find basic info.

My opinion, getting into the $1000 price range, go visit a place that has mandolins you can pick off the wall, handle, play and buy one of those versus one you buy sight unseen online. Eastmans are comparable to this line at this price. A nice A model, especially used can be had for less as well.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

Can't comment of the "The Loar"s (so maybe I'm no help), but the Kentucky 1000 I've played recently struck me as a REALLY nice instrument for the $. Better than comparably priced Eastmans, if not as pretty. Big, LOUD, spanking tone. If that's what you want...

The 600 Loar has tone bars while the 700 does not have bracing at all. Don't worry, it is stable. I have played both and they are both incredible instruments for the price. I like them better than the KM1000's I've played, but they are a nice mandolin for the money as well.

I don't think there are any 700 Loars available yet. They should be available in the near future. The main difference from the Loars and other products is they are all hand carved (yep...actually by hand) and use nitro cellulose lacquer while the others may do some carving, but do use a poly finish.

We are dealers for the Loar and Recording King products. The Loar mandolins take awhile to get. Because they are hand carved they cannot produce great numbers. They are also less money than the KM1000 which is appealing as well. I am anxious to get the 700 in stock and would like to be able to keep a 600 in stock. They sell as fast as they come in. I guess that is a good problem .
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

I've played 2 of the KM-1000's, one at SPBGMA and one at Elderly. They were both outstanding for the money and I doubt you'll find a better for an F-style anywhere near that price. I'll stick with tone bars on my instruments.
    MWM

Mark in West Michigan

Chris Fontaine

Just for fairness sake, specs on the KM1000 from Saga:
    Product: KENTUCKY MASTER MODEL F-MODEL MANDOLIN
    Item Number: KM-1000

The KM-1000 Kentucky Master Model Mandolin was introduced in the late 1970s in response to players’ and collectors’ requests for a mandolin that duplicated the best vintage instruments in every point of tone, appearance and finish. Kentucky Master Models are again being constructed to the same standard of quality. Only the finest American spruce and maple is hand-carved and graduated for the tops and backs. Deluxe 14:1 reverse tuners, Pre-war style ebony bridge and side-striped w/b/w ivoroid body binding all reek vintage. Take a trip back to the early 20s on the Kentucky time machine...it is surprisingly affordable.
    Solid, hand-carvedgraduated and select red spruce top
    Solid, flat-sawn, hand-carved select flamed maple back and sides from Northern Michigan
    One-piece maple neck with dovetail neck/body joint at the 15th fret
    Nitro-cellulose finish in a traditional 1920’s sunburst
    Rosewood fingerboard with M.O.P. dot position markers and 29 fret extension over the body
    Ivoroid binding on all edges
    Rosewood peghead overlay with Kentucky script and original-design “Flower Pot” inlaid in pearl
    Vintage-style bridge with small adjustment wheels
    Traditional 2-screw truss rod cover plate
    Perfectly shaped M.O.P. nut
    Highly polished nickel-silver frets
    Silver-plated, engraved tail-piece with leather insert
    High-quality, nickel-plated Gotoh tuners with engraved plate and removable buttons
    Shop adjusted
    Suggested Retail Price: $1,995.00
    Chris Fontaine
    Wiliams Fine Violins
    Nashville, TN
    chris@williamsfineviolins.com
    www.williamsfineviolins.com

I havent played a "Loar" But I have played a few of the KM-1000s. Some were good and some were great it. But for the money I think I would go the used A route...but that has nothing to do with it. I am very curious to see the "Loar" 700. Big Joe can you expand on the fact that it has no tone bars/top bracing? Very odd to me.
    "Because of you I close my eyes each time I yodel"

The Kentucky 1000's I have played have all been very impressive. I do not agree with the statement " Better than comparably priced Eastmans". I feel the comparably priced Eastmans are ... well .... comparable to the Kentucky at the price point. Both makers provide great instruments at that level IMHO.

The Loar 700 displayed no problems by not having tone bars. They are really not as much for structural integrity as for affecting tone. Hence the name, tone bars. If the top is properly arched and has the right graduations it should be able to withstand the tension on the bridge with no tone bars. It does affect the tone as noted above. I felt it gave a bit better bass response. The mandolin had a very open and warm tone as if it had been played for a very long time. This is certainly not scientific by any means, and I've only played one, but it was pretty impressive. Hope this helps.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

What kind of warranty does the Loar 700 offer?
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

I played a LM 600 and a 500 as well as a 855. I judged each on feel in my hands, tone lastly fit & finish. The 500 has a slimmer neck than both although not as loud as the other two the tone was much sweeter sound. Pressed top or not I had TI strings put on the 500 and I do like it. Again it isn't super loud but plays very easy and sounds really good. The fingerboard extension has been scooped and a 1 pc bridge put on. It is better sounding than any MK I have played in the same price, and about even or better than the kentuckys I have played. But I put more value on feel than anything else.

The neck on the 600 was the big knock on it. It was louder than the 500 but I did not like the feel in my left hand.

The guy did not have a 1000 yet so I could not compare it. Hope that helps some.

kirk

Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

I like the Kentucky KM-1000. Only played one, but fit and finish were very nice and the mando felt great. They seem way tight to start with, but I'm told that the red spruce tops open nicely.

I'd really love to try a The Loar 600 (I think I'd also feel happier with tone bars! Fear of the strange?), but I don't know of any in the UK. Trevor doesn't list any at TAMCO.

The only thing I didn't like about the KM-1000 was the relatively shallow depth to the body. It may or may not affect the sound, but it's noticably shallower than a normal F5 - close to the depth of Fullerton Gloucester (which is a fine sounding entry level mando). If it had the same body thickness (depth) as most F5s I think there would be one less nagging doubt in the minds of some prospective purchasers.

Hi there I have played the km1000 I like these never seen a Loar but for the money have you looked at the Breedlove line.
    A's go for just over $1000 and the F's not to much more and they are hand made in the U.S. just thought that I would show other Mandolins in your Price

Now I'm confused. I have a KM1000 but I thought the top was maple. The grain doesn't look like spruce to me. Even my luthier friend said "you might be right" when he looked at the unstained inside of the top. Is it possible that the top is maple instead of spruce or are we both mistaken?
    It was made in or before 1981.

Either way it still has a great sound!

Mandolins and Moonshine mandolinbill1949's Avatar

I have played both and they are very close but the fit and finish is a little better on the 1000's

I've played both the Loar LM600 and LM700 and the LM700 sounded much better and the tuners worked better also. I would think it would be a more fair comparison between the 700 and the KM1000.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt B View Post
    Now I'm confused. I have a KM1000 but I thought the top was maple. The grain doesn't look like spruce to me. Even my luthier friend said "you might be right" when he looked at the unstained inside of the top. Is it possible that the top is maple instead of spruce or are we both mistaken?
    It was made in or before 1981.

Either way it still has a great sound!
    A hardwood like maple would be very uncommon for the top of an archtop-mandolin. I've never heard of a mandolin with a maple top. But who knows... as long as it doesn't have a spruce neck ;-)

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by DroneAlone View Post
    A hardwood like maple would be very uncommon for the top of an archtop-mandolin. I've never heard of a mandolin with a maple top. But who knows... as long as it doesn't have a spruce neck ;-)

Peter
    That guy hasn't been around in six years...

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Kentucky KM-1000 v. The Loar LM-700-VS (and/or LM-600-VS)

I have owned both of these mandolins-- the LM600 (the traditional tone bars edition) and the KM1000. The KM1000 fit and finish is incredible and the sound is big and clear, though a bit bright for me. The LM600 is a darker tone with more warmth. The fuller, flat neck on the Loar is easier to play and is very comfortable. The better of the two is the KM1000 and has a better resale value. The action and tone goes to Loar, slightly. A used LM700 can be had for $700 while the KM1000 used would fetch at least $950.

I see this is an old post, after the fact. Well, someone will be looking at this question again very soon, so here is my own two cents.
    Last edited by lflngpicker; Nov-25-2015 at 2:10pm. Reason: Saw the Date

21. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by OldGus View Post
    That guy hasn't been around in six years...
    you're right... should have looked at the date first...

...maybe he got frustrated with his maple topped mandolin... ;-)

Peter

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DroneAlone For This Useful Post:

I bought a KM-1000 from a guy that wanted a chunky neck and he bought a LM-700.

I prefer the neck profile of the 1000 , same as my F-9

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J Mangio For This Useful Post:

Don't you love it when a zombie thread wakes up and starts walking around..

27. The following members say thank you to John Kinn for this post:

I wish I could help. I own the LM 600. I also want to try the 700 but I'm also in an area where I can't find a dealer who stocks one. I can tell you the LM 600 is a bit less expensive than the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by willkamm View Post
    I wish I could help. I own the LM 600. I also want to try the 700 but I'm also in an area where I can't find a dealer who stocks one. I can tell you the LM 600 is a bit less expensive than the other two.
    I own two lm 600s bought to try out, I think with real good bridge and setup they would make good intermediate mandolins
    2013 Northfield Big Mon #223
    2004 Gibson A9
    1981 #1132 Flatiron 1N
    2013 Gibson F9

Dreaming of a Pomeroy F5 Blonde w Engelmann ?