Default Joe Val Bluegrass

Who's going?

Thumbs up Re: Joe Val Bluegrass

Will be there.

Sal
    Some who wander are actually lost

Fiddler & Mandolin Player Dave Reiner's Avatar

Default Re: Joe Val Bluegrass

I'll be there... Teaching a fiddle workshop ("A Bluegrass Fiddler's Bag of Tricks") at noon on Sunday.

Maybe we can have a little Mandocafe get-together right after one of the mando workshops, as we did last year. I don't have the workshop listing in front of me (and they haven't posted it to the website yet), but I'll take a look tonight and suggest a time/place.

Dave
    '04 Gibson F3, '04 Gibson A4, '06 Gibson F4, '26 Gibson F5, '27 Gibson F4, '87 Givens A6, 2017 Kimble A5

Author, Anthology of Fiddle Styles; Co-author, Oldtime Fiddling Across America
    Genial host, Fiddle Hell Online (coming up on April 11-14, 2024, with 220 concerts, jams, & workshops (incl many for mandolin) and free replays for 4 months)
    Join www.facebook.com/groups/fiddlehellmassachusetts
    Free jams on our YouTube channel YouTube.com/FiddleHell
    More info at fiddlehell.org

I'll be there and be playing Friday night as Joe Sings Joe with Dave Dillon. I am excited to be doing many of Joe Val's favorite #'s with two of his long time band mates. The fine gentleman playing mandolin with us has one of the finest sounding instruments I have ever run across, check it out and see if you agree! -Joe
    There's a big rock in the road...

I'm hoping to be at Joe Val, if this broken wrist (surgery Wednesday) doesn't get in the way.

Will there be a mandolincafe get-together, by any chance?

- John

I'm considering going on Saturday. I've been told if I miss Dry Branch Fire Squad I might as well pitch myself off the Prudential. As an aside, and not to derail the thread, do you any of you Boston-area people know of jams that are sympathetic toward novices? I guess with enough people I would just be ignored (which is fine; got to learn somehow).
    Last edited by Man of Wax; Feb-03-2009 at 12:35pm.

Fiddler & Mandolin Player Dave Reiner's Avatar

Mandolin Cafe meetup at Joe Val? Looking at the workshop and stage schedule, the two best times on Saturday seem to be:

- 3PM right outside of Wayland North room, after Ron Thomason mando workshop
    - 5PM right outside of Middlesex West room, after Ashby Frank mando workshop (dinner break)

What do you prefer?

Dave
    '04 Gibson F3, '04 Gibson A4, '06 Gibson F4, '26 Gibson F5, '27 Gibson F4, '87 Givens A6, 2017 Kimble A5

Author, Anthology of Fiddle Styles; Co-author, Oldtime Fiddling Across America
    Genial host, Fiddle Hell Online (coming up on April 11-14, 2024, with 220 concerts, jams, & workshops (incl many for mandolin) and free replays for 4 months)
    Join www.facebook.com/groups/fiddlehellmassachusetts
    Free jams on our YouTube channel YouTube.com/FiddleHell
    More info at fiddlehell.org

I'll be there for the Adam Steffey workshop on Friday, probably not for the rest of the weekend.

I was there last year but I did not like NOT being in the main hotel. And with the politics involved--becoming a member of BostonBluegrass... for a 1 time a year festival is bogus. I feel they are trying to keep outsiders away.

Sounds like a great place to be. Now why can't those things happen closer to Arkansas? All the workshops sound wonderful. I hope you guys know how lucky you are.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

I've never been to one of these events before, and I was planning to go mainly for the acts, but are the workshops useful for relative beginners (enthusiastic, dedicated beginners, but beginners nonetheless)? Many of them don't indicate skill level. "Pentatonics & Beyond for Mandolin" is probably my speed, but it's not too clear otherwise.

Also, I'm fairly sure you don't have to be a BBU member to go to the festival. The tickets are just a little more expensive.

Hi Tom- Sorry you did not get into the Sheraton last year. There are 350 rooms, and obviously a lot more people who want them and they do/did go very fast and not without some glitches. If by politics you mean that BBU menbers get first shot, at $10 or so for a years membership that gets an informative newsletter sent 1/4ly, it doesn't seem like a very exclusionary policy given the fact that they are virtually certain the event will sell out. If there was a bigger, better hotel was available I think the BBu would use it. Hope you attend this year and have a great time. -Joe
    There's a big rock in the road...