Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: great non mandolin songs on mandolin

Default Re: great non mandolin songs on mandolin

About half the songs I play I have never heard on the mandolin, but they are now mine to own.

Great double stops and harmony effects on the Turtles "Happy Together". It was one of the high points in camp Brigadoon last Sept. That song really gives the harmony vocalists a chance to wring it out and let it wail.
    Mike Snyder

Quote Originally Posted by msnyder View Post
    Great double stops and harmony effects on the Turtles "Happy Together". It was one of the high points in camp Brigadoon last Sept. That song really gives the harmony vocalists a chance to wring it out and let it wail.
    That must have been really cool as as a child I loved The Turtles and Frank Zappa too!

"I may be crazy but I'm a DANCIN' FOOOOOOOL" Thats about the only sing alongable Zappa song I can think of, but mandolin would sound sweet on "What's the Ugliest Part of Your Body", or the ultmate Zappa classic "Peaches En Regalia". The man was a genius.
    Mike Snyder

[QUOTE=JEStanek;627580]
    My suggestion is less ambitious. I have Neil Gladd to thank for the heads up on the passing of Blossom Dearie on February 7th 2009. I heard the tune to Figure 8 used in the movie The Squid and the Whale and knew it would be great on the mandolin. The song is by Bob Dorough. I grew up with the Schoolhouse Rock PSAs on Saturday morning. The opening melody to Figure 8 was always a faovrite. I also loved Blossom Dearie's voice in this one too.
    Figure 8.

ooooh yeah!!! i loved the "the constitution" too. they sang the preamble--as did my entire senior history class, to ourselves of course, during final exams. a portion of the exam required us to write the preamble. it was pretty funny when everyone realized what was going on. and this evening, my 10 year old daughter was singing the very same thing in the bathtub.
    peace........amy

"if you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough." amos swafford

"life is short. break the rules. forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably--and never regret anything that made you laugh. twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did." mark twain

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tone Monster View Post
    About half the songs I play I have never heard on the mandolin, .
    Another good point.

Most of the fiddle tunes and old time stuff I play I never heard on a mandolin until long after I was already playing them.

There are probably a hand full (less than five) tunes that I heard on a mandolin first and decided I liked enough to learn.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I can't think of anything that would be considered a "non" mandolin song except maybe "Topsy"---But now thinking about it ---- that's giving me ideas. Drum solos transcribed to the mandolin--might be possible! Liberache(sp) was on TV playing "Nola" and my Mom said "You can practically smell the candles burning" but it turned out to be the lumberyard on the opposite hill.

My band, Frown Pow'r, does a silly little version of "Love Fool" by The Cardigans, circa 1996. If you listen to the original, the odd beeping in the background is what I do, with some guitar-ish strumming for the chorus. We also do "Isis" by Bob Dylan, as well as "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" by Dylan/The Byrds. We throw in some Joy Division occasionally for good measure, and I must admit, "Love Will Tear Us Apart" sounds pretty good on a mando. "Lay it Down" by Al Green sounds neat, too. And just for fun, try doing "Children Of The Revolution" by T. Rex.

Take Five (all except for the 25 minute long drum solo)

Lean On Me (in G, the melody and chords just fall right on top of each other)

Little Wing (just a nice Em/G jam to do with the boy)

The Thrill is Gone (Dawg and Jerry)

Stairway (was trying to do Plant's vocal part, oye!)

Deep River Blues (I can play it on the guitar too)

Christmas songs (Cause the melodies have been beaten into my brain)

Here's one I recently recorded, Jimmy Webb's "Wichita Lineman":

http://dupecoop.net/WICHITALINEMANFINAL2.mp3

- John

lately i've been doing a number of Stones songs, especially "Honky Tonk Women". Also working up Chuck Berry's "Promised Land". Lotsa great double stoppin.

Blog Entries

HOw about this one by Jim Richter -- Hendrix Vodoo Chile

It is outstanding!

Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Tone Monster View Post
    That must have been really cool as as a child I loved The Turtles and Frank Zappa too!
    And, as a side note, Mark Volman and Howard Kaylan of the Turtles eventually joined Zappa's Mothers and became "Flo and Eddie."

How about the riff from "Inca Road" or "Rollo Interior" xylophone solo from the beginning of "St. Alphonso's Pancake Breakfast"?
    Valley Road Bluegrass Band
    www.valleyroadbluegrass.com

Blog Entries

I created a medly of four tunes, two Hank Williams - Cold Cold Heart and I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry, and two Patsy Cline - I Fall to Pieces, and ending with Crazy.

I do them all in F, so there are dozens of great double stop harmonies and high lonesome tremolo opportunities. I do it solo, or with as a mandolin duet with my friend on rhythem chords.

I have been working on the tunes individually for a while, and together when working on Nola gets too frustrating.

OMG. I have it down to the point where I can really wring out some emotion. Think I am imitating a lap steel guitar. Its great fun.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

A number of Beatles songs work well with mandolin. This is my simple version of "Blackbird".

http://dupecoop.net/BlackbirdFinalMix.mp3

I play a Taylor guitar and a beater mando on this track.

Blog Entries

Here's one...it's an interpretation of Bron Yr Aur. A nice guitar piece by Jimmy Page. It still needs some work, but you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulMq09oRzD4

Blog Entries

Well I'm having trouble trying to embed the following since the youtube thing isn't working. Any help?

[fbv]1087511073857[/fbv]
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Jan-08-2022 at 11:39am. Reason: correcting embed coding

Blog Entries

Ok... Here is the link that works... Again...inspired by original tune called Bron Yr Aur by Jimmy Page...

Enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChAfPghuzSw

Blog Entries

"I'm the Slime" -FZ
    "Wish You Were Here" -PF
    "Helplessly Hoping" -CSN
    "Where Do the Children Play" -Cat Stevens
    "Just Like Heaven" -The Cure
    Just about any John Prine or Neil Young song...

It's not rocket science. If you sing, just make sure you can sing the song acapella before you back yourself up on mandolin. Then it'll seem easy.

Daniel

Many years ago, in a jam under the streetlights at Winfield, somebody started "Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting". We had a nice tight little mandolin line going. I also remember jamming to "Your Song" from Elton John.
    Mike Snyder

Miles Davis' 'All Blues' .. I like double stops to harmonize the melodic line .

Brubeck's 'Three To Get Ready' , is a fun tune to noodle on the mandolin too.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture