Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: picks and strings

Default picks and strings

Have you guys tried the red bear roman mandolin plectrums? I have been looking for this shaped pick for a while for classical playing, but have only found sites on how to make them yourself. What are you classical players using? I was turned onto pick-boy 70s, by Neil Gladd at one of our lessons, and they have been great. Also, what type of strings are being used? I am using dogal medios, but was wondering if a lighter guage is more common. Thanks for your help.
    Langdell G5
    Pandini Neapolitan

Default Re: picks and strings

I use the following strings: Black Diamond (since I was a kid way back when), Dogal, Lenzner or Pyramid strings. For picks, I still am a Pettine mandolin pick fan but use also t-shell (classic neapolitan shape) or make my own from celluloid (old piano key tops). Fender medium tear-drops are ok too. Can't make any sense of the German Wolle picks or any of the bigger triangular types. Certainly can't make one of the DAWG style picks work on my mandolins (or any instrument for that matter).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Chu View Post
    Have you guys tried the red bear roman mandolin plectrums? I have been looking for this shaped pick for a while for classical playing, but have only found sites on how to make them yourself. What are you classical players using? I was turned onto pick-boy 70s, by Neil Gladd at one of our lessons, and they have been great. Also, what type of strings are being used? I am using dogal medios, but was wondering if a lighter guage is more common. Thanks for your help.

Hello, Jeff.

I have not tried said Red Bear, but do play Roman picks. Can you please post a link to the maker of these picks? I have two, old, tortoise-shell Roman picks, and dread losing one especially during my travels. If these picks you mention are half-decent, and not TOO overpriced, I'd gladly buy a couple.

Also... (Jim may be able to fill in here)... wasn't there some other maker mentioned in this connection a few months ago? I vaguely remember a $45 sticker-price (steep, IMHO), and a complaint of them being too thick. But I am foggy...

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

I use Dogal rw92b (dolce), which are lighter than the medio, at least on bowlbacks. the medios work well on a L&H carved-top. Lenzners are also on a couple of my bowls.

For picks, I have a box full of various types, and frequently drive myself nuts by trying a selection on various mandolins to see which I prefer. I like TS, Pettine, ivoroid and oddly enough, Wegen. I marvel at those like Neil who use a single type of pick on any instrument, and make it work for them. But that's where talent and practice pay off, qualities which are in short supply in this player.

Heres a picture of the pick, i think they are going for 35 each. The material is Tortis, and made by the red bear trading company. I was looking at the flat picks, and accidentally found the roman style plectrums.

heres a little bit about the material.

"A Roman Plectrum in the Ranieri style for classical mandolin players. This plectrum is 65mm long, 20mm wide and 2.5-3mm thick. It is nicely tapered, buffed to a high gloss and ready to play. "

supposed to be the next best thing to real ts. but who knows. 35 is a little steep for me to test.
    Langdell G5
    Pandini Neapolitan

pict of the pick didn't go through

Langdell G5
    Pandini Neapolitan

Do you have a link to the web site?

heres the website, i guess the links just arent cooperating wtih me today. sorry guys.

http://www.redbeartrading.com/cart/i...dshow&ref=PLEC

one more try on the picture.

Langdell G5
    Pandini Neapolitan

I also play with a Roman pick. I was also one of the first to buy a Red Bear Roman style but it is much thicker than the std Roman celluloid or organic pick and so doesn't quite work the same way. The Roman style is an acquired taste tho.

On bowlbacks: My main Pandini (2003) I use Dogal Calace Medio RW92. On other vintage bowlbacks Dogal Calace dolce (light) RW92b. On my Embergher, Optima strings and lenzners on so,me other instruments.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

have you guys tried thomastiks on your bowlbacks?
    Langdell G5
    Pandini Neapolitan

Jim, as per our cross-thread chat: what about us meeting, I show you the Anogianakis book, you show me this pick? Sounds like a plan to me...

Cheers,

Victor

I have a German mandolin with Thomastiks, but for everything else I prefer a brighter sound; Lenzner and Dogal.

Guys,
    i'm sorry to bump up this thread. I've searched the web for roman style picks,
    and the only one that i've found are theese mentioned in this thread (Red Bear). Is there any other place where i can find theese type of picks? Red Bears seems a bit too pricey, and also Jim said that are a bit too thicker then the standard roman style picks.
    Thanks in advance.
    My Name is Carlo!

I'm afraid not, Carlo. There are, however, online instructions on how to make Roman picks. If you are handy with such things, go for it!

Next time I meet with Jim, I will (try to remember to) try his Red Bear pick; so far, however, I have no experience with them, and therefore no opinion yet.

Cheers,

Victor

Hi Carlo Nox,

It is the "easiest" way to make one yourself. Pick out a piece of hard (toy)plastic and follow these http://www.embergher.com/index.php?id=56 instructions.

Good luck!

Alex.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The way to Heaven,.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	41290  

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Timmerman View Post
    Hi Carlo Nox,

It is the "easiest" way to make one yourself. Pick out a piece of hard (toy)plastic and follow these http://www.embergher.com/index.php?id=56 instructions.

Good luck!

Alex.
    Hi Alex,
    i don't know how many times i saw the instruction on embergher.com, searching for roman plectrum on google always appear that page. The instruction are very clear, but the problem is that i don't have any plastic or celluloid and i don't know where find it
    Maybe i could buy one of Red Bear and then work on it trying to make it more thin, but come on, it's 35$ + 15$ for shipping to Italy, 50$, and dulcis in fundo i have to make it more thin....
    My Name is Carlo!

Carlo, I made one when I happened to see a small tray made of celluloid in a junk/antique shop. This cost me only 5 dollars. All you need is a piece of durable plastic, for example a discarded piece of polycarbonate window. I think the material that CDs are made of is tough, that might work, too.

Hi Carlo,

What I mean is also what Schlegel points at; search for a piece of hard / durable plastic - for instance something like an old plastic toy or so. Or use the plastic boxes made by the Ferrero company. Although that plastic is a bit thin it will - as a long two-pointed plectrum - be quite alright to start playing with. And, good for you, the Ferrero is known for it's 'tic tac' breath mints etc. and it is bases in Alba, Italy.

Name:	tic tac.JPG 
Views:	203 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	41321  

Or if you do not like the breath mints try the Ferrero Rocher.

The box, I mean .

Best,

Alex.

Name:	Ferrero Rocher.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	41322  

I don't think it would be advisable to thin down the Red Bear Tortis Roman plectrum that much. I think that the stuff it is made of is pretty brittle. That is why the Red bear does not make nay of their picks all that thin.Frankly, it does not quite measure up to the real stuff in terms of tone etc. unfortunately. I think you would be better getting some plastic and trying to make one yourself as those mentioned above.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hey guys, thanks all!
    Now i got it! i will take some ferrero roches or tic tac and i will post a picture when the plec is done.
    Of course i think i need to work it with sandpaper to remove edges .
    Thanks all!
    Last edited by Nox; Apr-17-2009 at 8:45am.
    My Name is Carlo!

Somehow, picks have an absolutely miraculous ability to disappear during vacations!

So, last time around, I took a couple of credit cards and, in my own thumb-on-nose to the Creeping Credit Crisis, created several Romanesque picks out of them. While I would hardly argue that my "products" sounded great, they did work for the occasional serenade in the garden, or by the beach at night, or that ever delightful private time in mid-afternoon, when cicadas and the occasional mandolin are the only things chirping.

So, Carlo, you need not be TOO particular about the materials, at least for such humble, quotidian needs as I (and probably you) may have. Beyond that, yes, it would be desirable to have a couple of "quality" Roman picks, as well. For those you should find the most appropriate, high-class... plastic.

Cheers,

Victor

Sadly, i've tried with both an id card and a pocket of tic-tac, and the results are horrible the edge aren't smooth, the shape is horrible....
    Well now i have to search on ebay also for roman plecs
    My Name is Carlo!

Quote Originally Posted by Nox View Post
    Sadly, i've tried with both an id card and a pocket of tic-tac, and the results are horrible the edge aren't smooth, the shape is horrible....
    Well now i have to search on ebay also for roman plecs
    Not necessarily, Carlo. I made these picks a while back out of credit cards, using nail files from a pharmacy and the filing pads that come with the Red Bear pick maintainance kit. They work great, and if you bevel the edges a bit, have a nice smooth tone with no scratchy edges. Takes some time and practice, and the feel is much different from a normal pick. Don't give up!

Name:	romanpicks.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	41378   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	romanpicks 001.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	41379  

Quote Originally Posted by joebrent View Post
    Not necessarily, Carlo. I made these picks a while back out of credit cards, using nail files from a pharmacy and the filing pads that come with the Red Bear pick maintainance kit. They work great, and if you bevel the edges a bit, have a nice smooth tone with no scratchy edges. Takes some time and practice, and the feel is much different from a normal pick. Don't give up!
    So myabe i need to practice a bit. But the question remain, so i can purchase the roman plec from Red Bear wuth the Red Bear pick maintainance kit, and then scale it a bit down?.
    Also i colud buy some sheet of tor-tis and try with it ?
    My Name is Carlo!