Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Wintergrass

Default Re: Wintergrass

[IQUOTE=billhay
    I would be interested in reactions to this development.
    My own reaction is that the promoters of Wintergrass never really figured out how to make money out of all the hangers on and jammers who flocked to the event each year (except the past one). Instead, they seemed to want Wintergrass to be some sort of concert.
    The history of Wintergrass is one of discouraging this desire, rather than fostering it and making money off of it.
    Finally, instead of examining their model, the promoters of Wintergrass looked elsewhere for solutions to falling attendance. They brought in oddball groups. The blamed the hotel. etc.
    I think the promoters of Wintergrass bear much of the responsibility for its failure. Sure, the hotel became hostile to the event, but hotels are a dime a dozen as the switch to Bellevue proves. )
    [/I]

I couldn't disagree more with all the above. Patrice et all, have done a magnificant job with Wintergrass and thanks to their efforts along with all the fans is what made Wintergrass what it is. What a shame it would be to lose it, and they almost did. Apparantly negotiations must have broke down and a better offer came through, thus the move. It will be much better now with all the venue's under one roof. I applaud their efforts and wish them well. Let's move forward and support their efforts as they work very hard to make this happen. In regard to the comment about "oddball groups" it seems that it's wonderful for new groups to be heard and offered a chance at being presented to a broader audience. It offers a little of everything for everyone.

Default Re: Wintergrass

Well, I'm a lot closer to Bellevue than Tacoma, so I can stay up late, jam like a banshee and still make it home at night to sleep. Many's the time I've done the 45 miles from Tacoma to Edmonds with my windows down so the February breeze could keep me from dozing off.

The Mexico thing sounds promising. I'm sure Peter Rowan and Frank Wakefield would play there.
    Last edited by mrmando; Jun-22-2009 at 10:34am.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls