Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Ordered a Collings MT from AMW

Default Just Ordered a Collings MT from AMW

After weeks of thinking, scraping money, dreaming, bugging my wife, more money scraping, listening to music and missing not having a mandolin to the point it hurt, and asking questions on here...I finally placed my order for a Collings MT from AcousticMusicWorks. Yeehaw! This is the most money I have ever spent on anything, so I sure hope it looks, sounds, and plays like a Collings! (It will have to, as I don't plan on buying a different mandolin for a loooooong time. I don't think my wife--or anyone else in my family--could take me talking about mandolins anymore.) Of course, I am not trying to rub it in...I am just so excited I had to share with other people that care!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Just Ordered a Collings MT from AMW

It is all that you hope it will be! Congradulations!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

You ordered a beautiful Mandolin in the MT. Although i'm a great Weber fan,the Collings MT that i played last year,was simply beautiful. If i ever get the cash together for another "A" style,it'll be a hard decision between the Collings MT & the Weber Yellowstone A-5,
    Saska
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

The MT's are wonderful. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

You are a lucky man! I am also ordering a new mando, but it's a eastman 515. Ha! Just don't have the dough rey me right now. Enjoy!

This is the most money I have ever spent on anything, so I sure hope it looks, sounds, and plays like a Collings!
    On all forums I read where players are ordering sight unseen/unplayed these days and it is a risky proposition for sure. I sure hope it meets all of your expectations. If it does not, don't think anything about shipping it back if you have that as an option.

You can't go wrong with the MT. They're so darn consistent. I believe you'll be thrilled beyond belief with the way it sounds right out of the case.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

You're gonna love it.
    Living’ in the Mitten

You you are gonna love it, and so will you wife.

I promise.

Blog Entries

Congratulations! I am a big fan of Collings instruments, and I also own a MT2V. I'm sure you will enjoy your mandolin for many years to come.

Best of luck with it! Which MT did you buy off of the website???

Sheesh. How exciting for ya!! I didn't have a mandolin for just under a week or short while ago, and I hated it, ha ha. If and once I upgrade again, it will most likely be upgrading to a Collings. We'll see. Enjoy!
    "A mando is a terrible thing to waste."

what kind of features does it have? top wood, etc? that is exciting.
    Langdell G5
    Pandini Neapolitan

The commute to work is rough because I listen to Bluegrass the whole way and when a great instrumental comes on I just want to play...but I can't because I am driving and also because I sold all my mandos and other instruments to finance the MT. However, I know that one day this week I will come in from the drive with a tune in a my head and a new MT will be waiting for me. Then I will kiss the wife, kiss my kid, and take the MT to the couch for an all night make-out session.

Regarding the specifics: I bought MT number 1609 from AMW (Acoustic Music Works). It has a black Engleman top with white binding. The back looked like it had a nice flame to it. I sorta wanted a wine red back but I couldn't justify paying more or waiting any longer and the honey back sort of grew on me until I just picked up the phone and did it.

It is funny because I didn't intend to ever spend so much on an instrument. I just fell in love with that Collings sound. Then I remembered what someone posted in another column: that if you want a particular mando bad enough you will find a way to scrape up the money. I sacrificed a lot of instruments (with the exception of one very cheap but sentimental guitar) and my tax money but I feel great about it!

Blog Entries

That's awesome, man. Make sure you give a full, detailed report about it when you get it. Also... post sound clips.
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

Congrats, enjoy it in good health cause I'm sure you'll be happy.
    PJ
    Stanley V5

Almost a year later and I lovvve my MT. I've played a lot of mandos since I got mine and they are all toys compared to the MT. Congrats.

BTW, I use a wegen pick with it. I like it better than the dawg or golden gate pick. http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/WP-BG-WHT.htm

Those MT's can be lifetime instruments. Sweeeet!

[QUOTE=ncgarrel;627429] I feel great about it!

You should

You'll find the Collings a wonderful instrument that will keep on amazing you for a long time to come ...

"The best money I ever spent was for my favorite mandolin!"

You can quote me on that!!!

Look up (to see whats comin down)

Congrats!

I think the most horrible collings I ever played was a good one! If I had to purchase without playing and it HAD to be right, I would not think twice about anything that had Collings on the headstock.

Enjoy!

Blog Entries

Those blacktop MT's are sharp. There's an amber MT at AMW that is calling me pretty hard.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

When I arrived home today the Collings MT was waiting for me. Yee Haw!

After unpacking her, I examined her carefully (apparently she is a lady mandolin) and discovered just how tight the fit and finish really are. OMG I cannot even imagine how someone could build something so seemless. It is really nearly flawless. Amazing.

Then I began to play. I was not amazed. Don’t get me wrong. It sounded good, but sort of like my old Kentucky that I learned on which was much cheaper. I tuned the Collings and this helped a little but not much. I told my wife and she laughed because she always thought the Kentucky sounded like a much better mandolin than it was. Then she pressed her thumb on my MT and laughed at how I was going to get the black finish all smudged up. She was excited to see the mircofiber cleaning cloth it came with. And, she also agreed that it was a really nice looking mandolin. I kept playing and talking, and eventually everyone went to bed.

THEN THE COLLINGS MT WOKE UP! Holy smokes! She must have needed a little time to adjust to the temperature and humidity change from the porch all day to being in the house. All of a sudden the D and A strings started to sound just amazing and the E string was pretty darn good. I mean, the D string had such a good tone that I almost cried for joy. It has the tone I hear on my favorite CDs that I dreamed about. Just before I started typing this note, the G string decided to kick in much better too—really great for soloing but in a chop it is just so overpowered by the middle two strings. The tone is so good all around though that I just stand in the corner and play or hold the instrument in front of me facing myself and play. As you all told me: I am amazed! So far it seems that D and A chords are the strongest and anything higher up the neck is equally good. The C chord seems to be the weakest. I am ok with this as I like A, Bb, and B most for singing (what little bad singing I do with guitar is in these keys). Singing with the mandolin is a different story though. I expect that in the months to come the entire thing will wake up and change again. I will probably also discover how to get the most out of it.

In any regard. I am just glowing and pretty excited to show my friends when they come over to stuff newsletters for the West Michigan Bluegrass Music Association later this week.

I would also like to give a nod to Steve at acoustic music works. He and his staff answered my email quickly, have a great selection, good prices, and shipped my instrument really fast. Everyone was friendly on the phone, chatted, and seemed to appreciate my business. He also threw in a sweatshirt and a lot of cool picks. I would definitely recommend them and would order from them again—though I am officially broke. ;0)

It's great to hear glowing happy words from a new owner. I had come pretty close to ordering a used MT from a shop, but it was bought locally before I could bring myself to commit. I had 3 anguish-filled days to consider dropping the requisite load of cash into the thing, and didn't do it quickly enough. I'll dwell on my little no-name mando (sweet and quiet, she is) and fold ncgarrel's comments into longer term considerations. A Collings is on the major possibility list. But the honey-do list also requires infusions of cash.
    You live and you learn (if you're awake)
    ... but some folks get by just making stuff up.

Michael T.