Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boston

Default Re: Boston

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Hey, there's a reason they're called Mandolins! Cool name...
    I invoke WM's handle when travelling a lot, and it drives my wife crazy: whenever we walk by a store with music instruments in the window, I'll put on the breaks and yell to her, "Whoa! Mandolins!!!"
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Does anyone else have any thoughts on a Boston newbie mando jam?? so far, two of us are interested, myself and TallMike. Are there any others who have read and thought, yeah me too, but just not posted?

Maybe we can get something going here.

Quote Originally Posted by Penn View Post
    Does anyone else have any thoughts on a Boston newbie mando jam?? so far, two of us are interested, myself and TallMike. Are there any others who have read and thought, yeah me too, but just not posted?

Maybe we can get something going here.
    I'd like to be in too. I've been playing for over a year, but am scared to death of jams were everyone seems to be improvising at 100mph. I'm on the North Shore but would happily volunteer my apartment from to time. This would be great!

I would love to have some beginners to jam with.. but I think my definition of beginner may be different from other people's. Either way it would be nice to become comfortable playing with people in my general skill range who are interested in the same instrument. None of my friends really care about my playing and it's hard to find someone to listen, nevermind someone to play with.. sounds like a great idea.
    and = My Loves

So we've got a possible 4 person total, I think that's enough to get started. Next, what songs make sense?

some ideas:
    Will the circle be unbroken
    Sally Goodin
    Arkansas Traveler
    Calliope House

So songs, time and place would be next. post your thoughts

So we've got a possible 4 person total, I think that's enough to get started. Next, what songs make sense?

some ideas:
    Will the circle be unbroken
    Sally Goodin
    Arkansas Traveler
    Calliope House

So songs, time and place would be next. post your thoughts
    I only know a few, but I can work on those. I also like Red Haired Boy, but I'm not sure of how my version compares to others. I play a lot of irish fiddle tunes. (Fisher's anyone? hehe). Harvest Home, The Rights of Man.. etc.

Weekends any time or weeknights after 7 are good for me. I have an apartment in Brighton with a good sized living room if no one else wants to host. I also have 2 cats and three roommates. They can all clear out of need be though. Let me know what you think.
    and = My Loves

Oh, and I forgot to mention... I only know about 3 chords and don't ever play any. So.. perhaps I will learn something from you guys. Hmm.. I just tried to use the blush face to show my embarassment but it looks a bit too suggestive. lol.
    and = My Loves

Any thoughts on getting one experienced (and patient) jammer to walk us through what we might expect, jam etiquette, etc...? Seems less likely that we'd be spinning our wheels the first time we meet if there's someone who's "directing" things along. Maybe also some input on tunes we'd hear frequently in various sessions so we have a pool of tunes to pull from (3 or 4 per session).

My schedule's pretty open and I've got transportation, so I'll show up wherever is decided upon!

Quote Originally Posted by tallmike View Post
    Any thoughts on getting one experienced (and patient) jammer to walk us through what we might expect, jam etiquette, etc...? Seems less likely that we'd be spinning our wheels the first time we meet if there's someone who's "directing" things along. Maybe also some input on tunes we'd hear frequently in various sessions so we have a pool of tunes to pull from (3 or 4 per session).

My schedule's pretty open and I've got transportation, so I'll show up wherever is decided upon!
    Oh I was thinking about that.. getting someone who's a little more experienced. Sounds good. Also, are you guys mainly into BG or what? I'm sure I said this 100 times but my main interest is Irish traditional stuff, but I'm open to learn different things as well. Could our 'professional' be from an irish music background? I may have some ideas there, but I don't know too many people in the bluegrass world.
    and = My Loves

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tallmike View Post
    Any thoughts on getting one experienced (and patient) jammer to walk us through what we might expect, jam etiquette, etc...?
    This is a pretty well-known bit of advice. Such niceties abound on the interweb. This particular version is from The Conecticut Bluegrass Music Association. http://www.ctbluegrass.org/jamrules.htm

Copy - print - frame - take to heart - keep in mind

Remember - common courtesy goes a long way in these situations.

The Ten Commandments of Jamming
    (with a few apologies to the Old Testament)

I Thou shalt not come to the jam to impresseth others with thine own talent for this is an abomination. The music shall be the star around which all musicians rotateth and not viceth-verseth! Attempts to make thine own star shine, shall surely lead thee into darkness!

II Thou shalt not forsake the beat. Thou shalt not speed up nor slow down accidentally when playing a tune for this shall be considered an abomination.

III Thou shalt arrange thyself in a small circle so that thou mayest see and mayest hear all the other musicians. Thou shalt listen with thine ears to the songs and shall attempt to play in one accord with the group. Also, thou shalt lift up thine eyes to look about thee, lest there be some visual sign that someone endeavoureth to render unto thee.

IV Thou shalt play softly when someone lifteth his voice in song, when the guitar taketh a break, and when thou knowest not what thou art doing.

V Thou shalt play in tune! Tune thine instrument well and tune it often with thine electric tuner lest the sound that emanateth from thine instrument be unclean!

VI Thou shalt commence and cease playing each tune as one, so that the noise you make be a joyful noise and is not an abomination. Whensoever a musician sticketh forth his foot, as though he were afflicted with a cramp in the fatted calf, thou must complete the rest of that verse and then cease. Thou shalt stick out thine own foot or else lift up thy voice, crying, "This is it!" or "Last time!" if thou hast been the one to begin the song and it hath been played sufficient times over. If the one who beginneth a tune, endeth it not by one of these signs, then the music goeth on in repetitious fashion until the listeners shall say, "Hark, it all soundeth the same!"

VII Thou shalt concentrate and shalt not confound the music by mixing up the "A" part with the "B" part. Most songs, but not all, proceedeth by the ancient law: "AABB". But, if thou sinneth in this regard or make any mistake that is unclean, thou mayest atone not by stopping, nay, but by reentering the song at the proper place and playing on. Thy fellow musicians will support thee in this regard.

VIII Thou shalt be ever mindful of the key that the banjo is tuned in, and shall play many tunes in that key, for the banjo is but a lowly instrument and must needfully be retuned every time there is a key change.

IX Thou shalt speak gentle words of encouragement to those nourished on the milk of bluegrass music, but not the meat, lest a harsh word turn one again to the darkness that is pop music.

X Thou shalt not, by thyself, commence noodling off on a tune that the other musicians knoweth not, unless asked or unless thou art teaching that tune for this is an abomination, and the other musicians shall not hold thee blameless, and shall strike thee from their computer lists, yea, unto the third and fourth generation.

- Author Unknown

Some tips in plain English (from one of Peter Wernick's most excellent music books)

More Etiquette Stuff...

* Some key participants may have main influence over the choice of songs and who gets to do what. Be respectful of the situation. Fit in as invited.

* Instrumentalists, be mindful of when others want to solo or do featured backup. Give them space and take turns being featured. Don't compete!

* Regarding tuning: Wait your turn. If someone is tuning, avoid any playing, or perhaps (if you're sure your instrument is in tune) offer notes matching the open strings of the other person's instrument.

* In more advanced jams, often the "classic" arrangement of a particular number is followed, including choice of key, which instrument solos when, harmony parts, etc. However, if the classic version is in a key that doesn't work well for the lead singer, the singer calls the key and the others adapt.

* If you don't fit into one jam, look for another or start another, or just stay and listen. (Note if there are already enough of your instrument in the group, or if the speed or difficulty of the material is out of your league.) In some situations it's OK to play quietly in an "outer circle", not trying to be heard in the inner circle.

Pay attention and learn from experience!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

And there's also this, sent to me by a swing/jazz bass-playing friend. Much is tongue-in-cheek; much is applicable to all music genres.

1. Everyone should play the same piece.

2. Observe the repeat signs only if what you just played was interesting.

3. If you play a wrong note, glare at one of the other players.

4. The right note, at the wrong time, is a wrong note. (And vice-versa.)

5. A wrong note, played timidly, is a wrong note.

6. A wrong note, played with authority, is simply your interpretation of the phrase.

7. If everyone gets lost except you, follow the ones who are lost.

8. Strive always to play the maximum notes per second. This will intimidate the weaker players and gain you the admiration of the ignorant.

9. Markings for slurs, dynamics, and accidentals should be completely ignored. They are only there to make the score look more complicated.

10. If a passage is difficult, slow down. If it is easy, speed up. Everything will even itself out in the end.

11. You have achieved a true interpretation when, in the end, you have not played one note of the original piece.

12. When everyone else stops playing, you should stop also. Do not play any notes you may have left over.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Just a few comments:

3. [If you play a wrong note, glare at one of the other players.] Absolutely!

4. [The right note, at the wrong time, is a wrong note. (And vice-versa.)] Not sure which vice is being versa'd. After all, the wrong note at the right time is a right note. It's jazz, after all.

5. [A wrong note, played timidly, is a wrong note.] Even a right one - it will sound like a mistake, even though it isn't.

6. [A wrong note, played with authority, is simply your interpretation of the phrase.] That's right - YOU know better than anyone else what the composer wanted there.

7. [If everyone gets lost except you, follow the ones who are lost.] This is an actual good piece of advice. The lost ones probably don't know they are lost, but since they are playing together, you have to join them Playing the right note at that time would be wrong.

12. [When everyone else stops playing, you should stop also. Do not play any notes you may have left over.] That's right. Save them for the next number, you may find room for them there.

Oh, and:

11. [You have achieved a true interpretation when, in the end, you have not played one note of the original piece.] This is my favorite! Somewhere in my collection of collaborations between Benny Goodman and Charlie Christian there is a wonderful version of "Tea For Two," in which they play the opening measure ("Picture you upon my knee") as written, and then take off, and never do get back to the melody. They don't even get to the third chord. I guess they REALLY knew how the song went.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I don't think I saw these other area jams mentioned: Sunday nights at the Skellig in Waltham, for old time music (anywhere from 8 to 22 folks show up, very relaxed), and Boston Front Porch, sponsored by the Boston Bluegrass Union, approximately monthly, in a home in Brookline.

acoustic outfitters in stratham, nh- not far from newberryport is going to start a beginners jam

New! Beginner Acoustic Jam Sessions
    with Ellen Carlson.

Calling all Beginners! Ellen Carlson, fiddle teacher here at the shop will lead a jam just for new players, once a month on Thursday nights. Tunes will cover numerous styles including bluegrass, blues, country, fiddle tunes and more. A CD of tunes will be available for participants who want to work on songs in advance.
    Suggested Donation of $5 per player.

Spring Dates: April 23, May 21 and June 25
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

The Boston Bluegrass Union - already mentioned - also hosts a jam on Wednesday evening in Groton.

I have been going to this weekly for a month or so and am really enjoying it. They have good fresh beer on tap and there is no cover charge. Last week there was a slower jam and a faster jam. about 15-20 folks total.

I play a mandola and consequently I am most comfortable in the keys of G and C. This represents about 60% of the tunes. For the rest, I may just set and listen.

I typically keep my face down when playing so as not to be called on for a break

I'll be there this evening - if anyone wants to join, send me a pm.
    You can't have just one...

Hey I'd like to thank everybody for their contributions on how to best pull off a jam- much appreciated. I love the idea of going Irish and old time - that's my absolute favorite type of stuff. But I'm open to BG as well, I just don't think I can do anything but listen at this point.

My place is probably the same size as most folks closets, the Brighton idea after7p sounds great from Womandolin. what if we brought a trick to help us be better players, and we all agreed on three tracks? Is that enough to get started here? Here is a stab in the dark for a jam plan:

1. We all come to agreement on three tunes (I think Red Haired Boy is probably the best suggestion so far)

2. since we're all new to this, we set up a time a few weeks to a month in advance to get to know some of these songs.

And I LOVE the idea of grabbing a pro Irish player.....we could all chip in to pay them for their time, something like that. That would be fantastic, IMHO.

Hey I'd like to thank everybody for their contributions on how to best pull off a jam- much appreciated. I love the idea of going Irish and old time - that's my absolute favorite type of stuff. But I'm open to BG as well, I just don't think I can do anything but listen at this point.

My place is probably the same size as most folks closets, the Brighton idea after7p sounds great from Womandolin. what if we brought a trick to help us be better players, and we all agreed on three tracks? Is that enough to get started here? Here is a stab in the dark for a jam plan:

1. We all come to agreement on three tunes (I think Red Haired Boy is probably the best suggestion so far)

2. since we're all new to this, we set up a time a few weeks to a month in advance to get to know some of these songs.

And I LOVE the idea of grabbing a pro Irish player.....we could all chip in to pay them for their time, something like that. That would be fantastic, IMHO.

Let me talk to my teacher & he may have some suggestions for people to contact. I wouldn't mind pitching in to pay them for their time. I'm glad you are into the irish stuff because I would really like to get some tips from someone who is experienced in that genre. Perhaps we should start discussing this via email? My address is MandoLynne@gmail.com . Let's start an email group and set this up. If anyone else is interested, feel free to let us know.
    and = My Loves

those all sound like great ideas to me! i'm at mgustafson@gmail.com.

...actually, I went ahead and created a google group for us at http://groups.google.com/group/boston-mandojam. Post your email address here (or send it via PM) if you'd like me to add you. ...or I think you can just join the group from the link above.
    Last edited by tallmike; Apr-15-2009 at 12:31pm.

Concord is just outside of Boston.

Jam in Concord, MA

Description:
    Bluegrass Jam

Date: April 19 & May 17, 2009

Time: 1:30pm to 4:30pm

Location: In the Community Room (first floor), Newbury Commons, In the Deaconess Community Center, located next to Emerson Hospital, Concord Massachusetts

Directions: Turn off Route 2 to approach Emerson Hospital. After the Emerson Hospital entrance, take the first left turn on to Deaconess Road. Ignore opportunity to turn right (for Rivercrest). Go straight and park head in on the right. Entrance is at the end of the dead end road and on your right.) Community Room is on the first floor of Newbury Commons.

Or you can MapQuest Deaconess Road in Concord, MA 01742.

The venue is a private, independent living complex with retired residents owning their condominiums. We will be jamming in the Community Room in the Newbury Commons (first floor). Their will be lots of chairs with arms; if you need an armless chair, please bring your own.

Newbury Commons will provide light refreshments. You may bring any refreshments you like provide it is nonalcoholic.

There are clean rest rooms available.

Unfortunately this is for pickers only; it is not intended to be an event for spectators.

Call George if you have any questions 508-429-5504

YMMV

Hi All,

Just some ideas for you.
    Our local org. the Hudson Valley Bluegrass Assoc. hosts a "slow jam" twice a month.
    We get an email letting us know what the evening tune will be. We have access to a site were we can download an MP3 example so we are familiar with it when we get together.
    There is an experienced musician who leads it. Since it is usually a bluegrass tune he first goes over the chords with us (We try to sick to standard keys).
    Once everyone is comfortable with the chords we play the tune at a pace that everyone can work with. Anyone who wants to can take a solo or they can just play rhythm.
    It was decided at the last jam that we would start repeating certain tunes each session. This way we could start increasing the pace as we become more comfortable with each tune.
    The full speed jam follows ours so usually some of the experience players come early to help out.
    Since you folks are leaning towards Irish and Oldtime you won't be doing the solo thing but it's a good idea to switch between the melody and chords so you can improve both. My weakness is chords - I play a lot on my own so I tend to work on my melody's. When I go to the jam I play mostly chords.
    Marc B.

This sounds great, including the mix of music. I'd be game to contribute for a pro's time, but I think we could also just try it and see how it goes.

I'm cstrauber@gmail.com, and I'll see you over at the Google group!

Hello all,

Just saw this thread and although I appear to be a tiny bit late to the game, I would also be interested in a Boston beginner's jam (I'm in Cambridge). Although, feel free to tell me that I'm way too much of a beginner and should wait a bit before joining you. I'm a lifelong musician, and a fiddler for the past 3+ years, but am literally just starting the mandolin (in fact, Womandolin kindly pointed me toward the Music Emporium just this week, so when I say "just starting," I really mean it).

I've been to the Green Briar session twice, and was a bit...intimidated. So there you go.

Anyway, my musical interests are mostly Irish tunes and New England contra dance fare (throw in some french-canadian and old time for good measure)...would love to be added to that Google group and stay in the loop. I'm out of town a lot, so maybe by the time I can join you I'll know how to play a few tunes. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by instrumentality View Post
    ...would love to be added to that Google group and stay in the loop. I'm out of town a lot, so maybe by the time I can join you I'll know how to play a few tunes. :-)
    awesome! just go to http://groups.google.com/group/boston-mandojam and sign up to join the group! we've already agreed upon a place, time, and first tunes, so hopefully it'll work for you.

Blog Entries

Hey - I just wanted to let you Boston and eastern MA residents know that the Cajun/bluegrass/country band I play with down here every winter is an offshoot of a band based up there - Magnolia Cajun Band - and if you should see they're playing near you check them out! Not only are they good, and fun, and very danceable, and nice folks, you can tell their lead singer/guitarist you know me from here and ask her to tell you stories about me. I'm sure she's got a few ... ... ...

No MC without me, though. "Mandolin in a Cajun band? What are you, nuts?"

Hey Womandolin, I once performed at a Women's Music Festival in Boston (Women composers, not performers), and announced that I was playing a Persondolin!

back in my younger wandering around days I spent a few years living and playing music in Boston.

I had a great time up there except once in my ignorant youth I stupidly challanged someone to a fight over a pool game dispute and the entire pub (I was in a tightly knit Irish neighborhood) unloaded on me! I think even the bar maid hit me! LOL!

But I wasn't playing mandolin guitar I was playing guitar and singing and we used to busk in the Boston Commons, the subway (Blueline mostly) and once even in the Combat Zone until we were run off!

BIG folk music scene when I was there. My favorite place was the Rathskeller's (or RatsCeller depending on which floor you were on LOL!)