Thread: New Book on Mandolin Chordology

Default New Book on Mandolin Chordology

For the past year and a half I have been taking group lessons with Gordon Sobbe in Halifax. Gordon, who is well known in Canada as a fiddle instructor has written many books on fiddling. He has recently produced a new book plus CD on Mandolin Chordology that has just been posted on the classified website

http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval

Our class had the opportunity to use some pages from the book as it was being developed and found it to be an excellent teaching tool. The focus is on three finger chords and knowledge of the fingerboard allowing the student to learn how to make more complex chords and use them in accompanying melodies. I had studied mandolin for two years prior to starting lessons with Gordon and it was only through his teaching that I now feel able to start to put chord theory and practice together.

I encourage cafe members to explore Gordon’s website http://www.fiddlebooks.com to see the contents and a sample of his new mandolin book. His other books and CDs about fiddling are also excellent resources for well known fiddle tunes that can be played on the mandolin

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffPedErp For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: New Book on Mandolin Chordology

Thanks for the additional info. I noted the ad and thought the book sounded interesting but didn't want to order without knowing more.
    BRW SP-H3 2 point
    BRW LP-H3 2 point
    Weber Bighorn oval hole
    Weber Bighorn Mandola
    Weber Octar D-hole
    -------------------
    "The creative is the place no one else has ever been... What you will discover will be wonderful; it will be yourself." Alan Alda

4. The following members say thank you to Barb Friedland for this post:

It's a very very useful book & it even works great on Tenor Guitar/Tenor Banjo in GDAE Tuning so you can learn to play some music. The Accompaniment CD really helps along the way.

My first attempt at a multi-track video back in early 2021, was Reg Bouvette's The Teardrop Waltz, with a harmony part that I found on the internet, written by Gordon Stobbe. https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...teardrop+waltz

Up until then I had not heard of him.
    Bren

Gord's a fine musician, a nice guy, and a very experienced teacher. He's been playing bluegrass and Canadian old-time musics since the 60's (but can swing into other styles). He's taught at fiddle camps and other venues across Canada for many years. I bought a copy of Mandolin Chordology from him years ago -- it's copyrighted 2012 --but perhaps it's been updated. I didn't use it much because I felt that it wasn't complimenting the blues I was focussing on. Still, you can't go wrong with Gord. Perhaps I'll dip into it again.

Gord hosted a Nova Scotia show called "Up Home Tonight" for many years. Check out YouTube for dozens of videos with Gord hosting many great musicians, and playing mandolin and fiddle with the Ladies' Choice Bluegrass Band, as well as with guests. Gord's the one in the red shirt in this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GsK...el=TerryCarter
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

8. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

Bren 

Great video Ranald.
    I must say JP has grown in ... stature since those days.
    Bren

10. The following members say thank you to Bren for this post:

Ranald 

Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    Great video Ranald.
    I must say JP has grown in ... stature since those days.
    Agreed. I met Gord in the early 21st century, and was a mite surprised to see him as a black-haired man on the videos this show.

By the way, a Nova Scotia singer of traditional songs, whom I shan't name (it's not me), often played on "Up Home Tonight." He told me that the person who posted videos of this show on YouTube clearly had little interest in folk song, as almost every performance is focussed on instrumental music. The singers or singer/guitar players who performed regularly are seldom seen on the videos, which may not bother most mandolin-playing Cafe members. Still, we're getting an unbalanced view of Up Home Tonight from the YouTube videos.
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."

Quote Originally Posted by JeffPedErp View Post
    For the past year and a half I have been taking group lessons with Gordon Sobbe in Halifax. Gordon, who is well known in Canada as a fiddle instructor has written many books on fiddling. He has recently produced a new book plus CD on Mandolin Chordology that has just been posted on the classified website

http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval

Our class had the opportunity to use some pages from the book as it was being developed and found it to be an excellent teaching tool. The focus is on three finger chords and knowledge of the fingerboard allowing the student to learn how to make more complex chords and use them in accompanying melodies. I had studied mandolin for two years prior to starting lessons with Gordon and it was only through his teaching that I now feel able to start to put chord theory and practice together.

I encourage cafe members to explore Gordon’s website http://www.fiddlebooks.com to see the contents and a sample of his new mandolin book. His other books and CDs about fiddling are also excellent resources for well known fiddle tunes that can be played on the mandolin
    I couldn't find it on the website. Maybe it's not up yet?

Quote Originally Posted by nick delmore View Post
    I couldn't find it on the website. Maybe it's not up yet?
    It disappeared from the Classifieds. Here's a link to Gordon Stobbe's publishing company. If you tell him that you heard about his book at Mandolin Cafe, he might be encouraged to advertise here again.
    Chordology is five up from the bottom of the Books list: https://www.fiddlebooks.com/orderinfo.html
    Last edited by Ranald; Mar-07-2023 at 7:59pm.

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

I already have SO MANY mandolin method books, but... sigh....

ordered.

Looking over the description on fiddlebooks.com it looks like the book covers something I was already doing on my own - Using the 3-finger Jethro Burns major chords from Chapter 7 of Mandolin For Dummies, and then by sharpening or flattening the root or the third by either a whole step or a half step you can them make all kinds of chord qualities like dom7, major7, minor, and minor7. Even jazzy "I'll never use this chord in my entire life outside of a classroom" chords like augmented & diminished. All these chord qualities & voicings from the basic 3-finger triads - Root, 1st inversion, and 2nd inversion.

In practice it's actually a hell of a lot easier then I make it sound.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

15. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post:

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NH View Post
    I already have SO MANY mandolin method books, but... sigh....

ordered.

And it arrived today. Not quite two weeks.

17. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post:

Ranald 

It’s a great book, as are all Gordon Stobbe’s books. His Red Book of Fiddle Scales has really helped me on fiddle and mandolin.

Gordon received the Order of Canada for his contributions to roots music in Canada. His is a Master Fiddler, composer, mandolin player, writer, and a great instructor. He is the real deal. I have found his books to be very practical and useful.
    Kirk

2007 Kimble F5
    1985 Kentucky KM 650

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    It disappeared from the Classifieds. Here's a link to Gordon Stobbe's publishing company. If you tell him that you heard about his book at Mandolin Cafe, he might be encouraged to advertise here again.
    Chordology is five up from the bottom of the Books list: https://www.fiddlebooks.com/orderinfo.html
    Thank you for adding that link.
    Mandolin Chordology is back in the Classifieds again:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/201306#201306

21. The following members say thank you to Gordon S for this post:

Ranald 

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon S View Post
    Thank you for adding that link.
    Mandolin Chordology is back in the Classifieds again:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/201306#201306
    Hi, Gordon.
    Good to hear from you. I'm enjoying old videos of "Up Home Tonight." You made quite a contribution with that show. I hope your book sells well at the Cafe.
    Cheers, Ranald