Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Grateful Dead Method

I was at my very first festival, and probably was on the scene no more than twenty mintues when Duuuude says to me, "I think there's a jam up the road. Let's go."

So, we head up and sure enough there is this jam, and we arrive just as a tune is finishing up. They all look right at me and say, "So what have you got?" It worked out just fine, but ... Uuuugh.
    Some people might imagine they were being 'sized up', but I've since started to think about it differently. First, it's just polite to offer a newcomer the opportunity of calling a tune. But it also helps defines those who will be calling tunes during the jam, and those who might want to just hang back. (As a singer, I greatly appreciate knowing who else will be calling tunes, as it frees me up from having to think ahead about the next set of lyrics. In the jam above, they were tired of singing their songs, and really just wanted a 'fresh voice'.)

Imagine a jam where no one has brought any tunes to call? Boooooring ... 'space jams' can only go so far, IMHO. Perhaps we all should try bringing at least one dish to share at these musical pot luck gatherings?

I'm not sure this quite on topic, other than expressing my opinion that the GD method benefits a lot in conjuction with the stricker guidelines of Bluegrass jamming ... as long as that flexible, freedom to wander is maintained.

- Benig

Ah, but there's nothing like goin' through a familiar tune five or six different ways when all the sudden it takes a life of it's own, like hitting a certain combination that unlocks a whole new nature of the tune, and it's been there all along unnoticed. Guess it's all in the approach, it can be the same ol' thing or it can be taken to new places.
    mandollusional Mike

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (Benignus @ Aug. 23 2004, 14:09)
    Perhaps we all should try bringing at least one dish to share at these musical pot luck gatherings?
    This is something I try to do before going to a festival. #Each time I try to work up a tune that I can either sing or play so I will have something to add to the jam.

With that in mind I'm working on "Colly Davis" from the Newgrass Revival for the Chilliwack Festival. #I just recently discovered this song and thought it would make a good festival tune. I'm thinking they play it pretty fast and I'm interesting in trying it at different tempos and key signatures.

Not sure where were heading with this thread, but I suspect that if we're just jammin', then go with it.

2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

" Not sure where were heading with this thread ... "

It's a Gratefull Dead Method Thread ... it goes where it goes.

At that first jam I described above, I learned real quick that most of the songs I kew were either in weird keys, or had non-intuitive changes. (The first song I called was Tennessee Stud in B)

Now I think I've got a handle on what sort of tunes work well among strangers. The next challenge is to find interesting tunes that not everyone else is playing. (I recently had worked up this great mile-a-minute real 'Carter-style' take on Wabash Cannonball, then someone called the tune ahead of me. So I missed out.)

I'm heading to Strawberry this weekend with a new take on Home on the Range.

But, what I'm really hoping to find is a jam where we can mix up the Bluegrass with the Dead Method. I don't know why it's been difficult to find ... or create.

Maybe the Dead style relies on people who know each other pretty well, and thus just doesn't work as well among strangers.

Anyone try this sort of stuff in non-regular jam settings. How did it come across?

- Benig

it sure helps if you know each other, but its not a necessity. folks who can listen, are willing to share and explore can take any song and make it new.

"Anyone try this sort of stuff in non-regular jam settings. How did it come across?"

Actually a friend and I had a couple "new" players join our regular blues jam which went fine with new tunes & such, but the BEST part was when we just started noodlin' on nothin' in particular & passing that around. Without the "structure" of a real tune, there was more creativity flowin' than during any of the "real" tunes we played, and everybody seemed more natural and at ease. But then, it coulda been the beer too.
    mandollusional Mike

Hmmm ... I've never had trouble getting a jam to go 'out there'. It seems to me the crux of the GD method is getting everyone to *come back*!

Last sunday we started off on an E-jam thing. I thought we we're all on the same page with heading into "Folsom". Parker usually kicks off FPB, so I leaned over and said, "Whenever you're ready." He said, "OK here we go ... 1 ... 2 ... 3 ... 4 ...', and then where he would normally play the intro line, he just STOPPED COLD!

Dave and I looked at each other in complete surprise, and since my foot was still keeping time, I grabbed that kick-off at the next measure and OFF WE WENT! "I can hear that whistle blowin' ... "

Sooooo ... that's the sort of comunication breakdown I'm talking about.

Now don't get me wrong here; I'm a veteran of many a show, and look forwards to the next tour. Just wanna relate a rather funny critique a friend once said.
    "The Grateful Dead are the only band who can write a really good tune, and then forget how to play it".
    Wye Knot

Quote Originally Posted by (Lee957 @ Aug. 24 2004, 15:13)
    "The Grateful Dead are the only band who can write a really good tune, and then forget how to play it".
    Good one!

(maybe Benig will foget how to play Home On The Range)
    mandollusional Mike

Quote Originally Posted by (Benignus @ Aug. 24 2004, 10:16)
    I'm heading to Strawberry this weekend with a new take on Home on the Range.
    Is that the one about Tiger Woods?

I know what you mean about trying to take a jame session "out there". #Truth in the matter is that most bluegrass jams wont go there and many of the younger players (see post above) don't know how to go there.

A couple of years ago I brought a "flip-chart" on an easel as way to write out some chord changes and provide a way to communicate some ideas - boy that went over like a lead balloon!

I have found that once a jam has run a full course of "standard" songs and tunes, it's a lot easier to get people to take a chance and stretch the envelope. #I've been doing this up at the Chilliwack festival on Sunday night (last night of the festival) at about 2:00AM and have had pretty good luck.

2015 Chevy Silverado

waiting till 2am to jam- you are a madman pete!

2:00AM? That's just the shank of the evening!
    2015 Chevy Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by (mandopete @ Aug. 25 2004, 09:13)
    A couple of years ago I brought a "flip-chart" on an easel as way to write out some chord changes and provide a way to communicate some ideas - boy that went over like a lead balloon!
    #
    Hey Benig, that gives me an idea ......
    mandollusional Mike

I have a feeling with Duuuude and I both participating in this thread *and* meeting up at Strawberry, we'll probably get into some 'out there' jams.

I hope I can get some of the folks I've picked with at prior fests to loosen up and think outside the (Monroe) box.

We've mentioned the all important factor of 'actively listening' to the other players, but I think there also needs to be a willingness to 'bend the rules' without actually breaking them.

As you point out Pete, the younger players perhaps have a certain distain for rules, or just never learned them, while the older set wouldn't dare overstep the boundaries of Monroe's original vision of Bluegrass.

I am determined to find some like-minded jammers at Strawberry this year, or blister my fingers trying!

- Benig

Quote Originally Posted by (Benignus @ Aug. 25 2004, 08:56)
    As you point out Pete, the younger players perhaps have a certain distain for rules, or just never learned them, while the older set wouldn't dare overstep the boundaries of Monroe's original vision of Bluegrass.
    It's not that, too many of them are learning to play by just "copying" everything. #It's far too easy to load a program into your computer and slow down the hot, new Chris Thile tune and learn it note-for-note. #It's entirely another thing to use your ears and brain to guide you.

This was something that was drilled into my pea-sized brain by spending my formative musical years in the jazz idiom. #I suspect that a good number of the top-notch bluegrass players are good at listening, improvising and interacting with other musicians. #It's just something that we may need to remind ourselves about instead of locking into our own world when in a "jam" situation.

2015 Chevy Silverado

" ... too many of them are learning to play by just "copying" everything. "

Thank you! Keep saying that ... LOUDER!

TOO MANT OF THEM ARE LEARNING TO PLAY BY JUST "COPYING" EVERYTHING.

2015 Chevy Silverado

LOUDER PLEASE PETE!

TOO MANY OF THEM ARE LEARNING TO PLAY BY JUST "COPYING" EVERYTHING

2015 Chevy Silverado