Thread: Has anybody played the Duff F-5 at Elderly?

Question Has anybody played the Duff F-5 at Elderly?

Just wondering if any of those lucky enough to live near Elderly have played the Duff F-5 that they have.

This is the one: http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/PDF5T.htm

If so, care to offer an impression?

After watching this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GKIPFnkP5A I'm developing some major MAS and Duff is in the running.
    '08 Weber Fern 'Old Wood' Red Spruce

Default Re: Has anybody played the Duff F-5 at Elderly?

Haven't played it, but it's been for sale there for a while. Looks pretty sweet though. I'm sure they have a return policy if you don't like it, so I don't think there is that much of a risk. That old one sounds nice, but his newer ones appear to be leaps and bounds ahead in terms of fit and finish.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Biorkman View Post
    That old one sounds nice, but his newer ones appear to be leaps and bounds ahead in terms of fit and finish.
    That's what I've noticed too, here's a video of a new Duff F5 being played

Wes
    "i gotta fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

'87 Flatiron A5-JR/'25 Gibson A-JR

Haven't played the mandolin at Elderly, but for more sweet Duff mandolin goodness, check out Rebecca Lovell, who has a fantastic Duff mandolin.

www.myspace.com/rebeccalovell

and her actual band, the Lovell Sisters

www.myspace.com/thelovellsisters

I have played it and it is a great mando. I has an awesome woof when you chuck any chord and and great tone while picking. I did notice that it didn't cut very well when I was jamming with a few ather instruments but I don't think that it has really opened up yet. I guess what I am saying is that I would buy it if I was in the market for a mando. I thought it was the best mando that elderly had instock other than the Loar.
    '02 Gibson master model #70327 02-01-02
    '25 Gibson A-4 Snakehead #82626
    '06 Hicks #1 and #2 F-5 still not done

Gibson F-5 Master Model Registry

Paul Duff should be on everybody's "short list". I have not played this particular mandolin at Elderly so I can't comment specifically but being the owner of a 2004 Duff F-5 and 2002 Duff H-5 mandola, I highly recommend his instruments. The back of my F-5 is pictured in my avatar to the left and it is an awesome mandolin purchased before his current run up in price (paid less than half of Elderly's asking price). I am a very happy Duff owner indeed. Re; the Duff at Elderly, go for it. You won't be disappointed!!!

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Mmmmm.... Duff....

Played it before it got to the shop, liked it, didn't have the money for it. If you want a Duff that (at least to me) will be "there" with some "playin' in", go ahead, you'll be rewarded I think!
    And I have no financial interest in this what so ever. It's a good one and does not need to be wasting time hanging in a store! Buy it and, pick the socks off it!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Greer View Post
    Just wondering if any of those lucky enough to live near Elderly have played the Duff F-5 that they have.

This is the one: http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/PDF5T.htm

If so, care to offer an impression?

After watching this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GKIPFnkP5A I'm developing some major MAS and Duff is in the running.
    I have, best one in the shop! Beautiful instrument, smooth as silk and great tone and sustain, you won't be disappointed. No financial interest at all.

I have a Duff and so do a couple of my buddies here in GA and they are all great sounding and have wonderful necks on them.It would be worth your while to at least check it out to see if you like it. NFI

Joe Parker

Thanks for the input, one and all. Sounds like a real fine mandolin and with Elderly's 48 hour approval policy, I might just take it for a spin. Of course, I'm still checking my options and might opt to have one of our great resident luthiers do a build for me. I've never done that before, but it might be the best way to get just what I'm looking for (a great bluegrass mandolin with that Loar tone).

Thanks again!
    '08 Weber Fern 'Old Wood' Red Spruce

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Greer View Post
    I might just take it for a spin. It might be the best way to get just what I'm looking for (a great bluegrass mandolin with that Loar tone).

Thanks again!
    Sean,
    while I admire Paul Duff´s mandolins (owning one as well) I would not say that it has "that Loar" tone. Mine´s x-braced. It is suited perfectly for all kinds of music. It can be driven hard in a session, it cuts through the mix, it projects excedingly well. It sounds awesome. But it does not sound like a Lloyd Loar F 5. Maybe the tone bar Duff 5´s are closer to the "old" tone. On the other hand, I´ve played mine in sessions with Gilchrists, Vandens, Giacomels, Loars and whatnot and heard them being played alongside Nuggets and such and they stay right in there. The Duff has a beautiful tone.

Anyhow, I don´t get the referrence to Homer Simpson. Did I miss anything? Guess not.

If you play the Elderly Duff and decide to buy it, post a soundfile and/or video. The same goes out to you JPP and lenf12. If I only had the time, I would get a recording ready myself...
    Olaf

Hi Grassrootphilosopher,

Nice assessment of the Duff x-braced tone which was Paul's preferred configuration when I got mine. I think he highly admires Steve Gilchrist and takes some direction from Steve's work especially with mandolin bracing.

Duff beer is Homer Simpson's preferred brand. It's an animated TV series, mostly for adult sensibilities. I'd love to do a soundfile at some point but have to get my recording software figured out. Soon.........I hope.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

I saw that a rather distressed 1986 Duff showed up today in the Classifieds at a pretty nice price point (NFI) if you're in the market for one...