Thread: My First Build Mandocello

Post My First Build Mandocello

Below is a photo of me playing the first instrument I have ever built. It is a 10 string mandocello that I tune to CC DD GG aa ee. I made it over the last year at a shop in Louisville Kentucky under the guidance of Ted Harlan http://www.harlanguitarworks.com/
    It still needs a bit of finish work but it already plays very well. I included a virzi tone enhancer and a sound port. I have not completely figured out how much they benefit the tone but the port certainly makes it better for the player.
    I have only played it in a group setting once but it really held its ground, even in a group with a banjo player and a bandmate that plays a Henderson guitar. In fact it kind of drowned out everyone else when I played full chords. It is tough getting used to the low C's. They are not nearly as loud as the rest of the stings and I am currently trying to figure out how to brighten them up. I may try thinner gauges. I am currently using .074's.
    Any suggestions? Comments?
    I will take better photos when I am completely finished.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MandoCello 001.jpg 
Views:	405 
Size:	211.2 KB 
ID:	39686  

Default Re: My First Build Mandocello

That's pretty cool. What's the scale length on it? I've got a 5 string electric mandolin and I got better results going UP in gauge on the C. The thicker string needed more tension to bring it up to pitch. Trying an octave pair on the C string could prove interesting too.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

M@ñdº|¡ñ - M@ñdºce||º Keith Erickson's Avatar

How cool

You're mandocello is beautiful.

May I ask you what thickness of pick are you using? That may be why your CC's have a little less volume.
    Keith Erickson
    Benevolent Organizer of The Mandocello Enthusiast

I use the Jazz Mandolin 1.5 mm picks. For a while I went through many different picks but I can not get away from these. In fact, I always keep one in my pocket... just in case.
    So do you think a thinner pick would help?
    Where would I find heavier gauge strings? I didnt think that would make it louder?

Also, I meant that I tune it CC GG DD aa ee.

I use Strings By Mail to put together sets for my Mann EM5. Here is the link to their D'Addario single string selection.

The Jazz Mandolin pick should be plenty thick. What's the scale length of the instrument?
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

Nice looking instrument, especially for a first one!

There could be a bunch of reasons why the bottom C strings are not working as effectively as they could. Five course mandocellos are tricky to get a good balance across all the strings. If the instrument is going to respond well on the top course, chances are the bottom course is not going to be as efficient. It is a matter of where the air and soundboard resonances sit. To get those bottom Cs pumping you probably need an air resonance (the note you get when you hum in the soundhole) down around E or F on the bottom string, and that needs a big, lightly braced body. The other side of that is that if the bottom strings are working well, you may not not get the same clarity and zing on the top strings. There are some sound scientific reasons why stringed instruments only work best in a relatively small range of pitches. Guitars only have two octaves between top and bottom open strings and violins/mandolins even less. Trying to build instruments outside those parameters can be done, but it often involves compromises.

You will just have to build another and see if you can make it work better

cheers

graham

I have been thinking of doing a guitar to 5 chorus mandocello very similar to yours. I keep going between a fixed bridge and floating bridge in my mind. how is yours braced?
    Dave Schneider

I did an x-brace design. Really just like a guitar. It looks a lot like this...

Name:	bracing.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	39801  

or a better view...

Name:	brace 2.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	39804   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brace 3.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	39805  

M@ñdº|¡ñ - M@ñdºce||º Keith Erickson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mandolinjon@aol.com View Post
    I use the Jazz Mandolin 1.5 mm picks. For a while I went through many different picks but I can not get away from these. In fact, I always keep one in my pocket... just in case.
    So do you think a thinner pick would help?
    Where would I find heavier gauge strings? I didnt think that would make it louder?

Also, I meant that I tune it CC GG DD aa ee.
    Mandolinjon,

I was guessing that you were using too thin of a pick. My Bad

I too also use 1.5 mm picks. As for my strings, my CC's are ball end .070 gauge. And it rings beautifully.
    Keith Erickson
    Benevolent Organizer of The Mandocello Enthusiast