Thread: Neapolitan Mandolin

Default Neapolitan Mandolin

Hi. I just played a "Neapolitan" mandolin for the first time last night, and I'd enjoyed it so much that I'd like to buy one. The name on this one was Formosa. I don't know the first thing about this style of mandolin, except I was told this is based on an 800-year-old design. Can anybody give me some advice? I'm going to expand my horizon into Western European music. I currently play bluegrass, on a Gibson mandolin. I need some strong guidance. Thanks!
    Kim Roulias

Default Re: Neapolitan Mandolin

You'll probably receive the most informed responses if you post your query over on the Classical board. Many, many experts on bowlbacks over there.
    David
    Clocks make no alliances.

Posting some pictures in the classical section of the Board will help. It is for sure not "based on an 800-year-old design" and "Formosa" is not amongst the high quality and respected bowlback brands. Which doesn't mean that it is bad. Enjoy your instrument!

Definitely get advice from the Classical players. Check out some pics of Caterina Lichtenberg's mandolin...probably one of the best women classical mando players in the world. If you can, listen to some of her recordings to hear what that "lowly" bowlback can do! Some of the european mandos don't follow this rule, but in the USA, generally speaking, the bowlbacks with the most ribs (pieces of wood) in the back that form the "bowl" are of better quality than those with only 10-12 ribs. Again, this isn't necessarily true for those bowlbacks built in Europe. Caterina's bowlback doesn't have a lot of ribs. In the USA, look for those with binding around the piece "skirt" of the bowlback...these are also of better quality than without that same binding. It isn't the binding that makes them better built, but only indication that more time and care has gone into the instrument. If you purchase a used mando, be especially careful to get one that has frets in good condition. I say this because a lot of the luthiers hate to refret a bowlback. So, make sure you don't have to refret as soon as you buy it. As for USA brands, or those available in the USA, I'm sure the classical players could give you better advice and brand names. I just have three bowlbacks, and that I play from time to time, and this is what I learned before I purchased those I have now. Also, check out the "eye candy" section of this website. There's some bowlbacks there that are quite beautiful I'm happy to see another bowlback fan!

After all that being said, if the Formosa got your heart racing, get it. It may or may not be the best, but you can always get more of them...and I've never fell in love with a mando that was wrong for me...wish I could say the same for men!
    Last edited by Youda; Mar-16-2009 at 4:56am. Reason: thought of more to say

Quote Originally Posted by KimRoulias View Post
    Hi. I just played a "Neapolitan" mandolin for the first time last night, and I'd enjoyed it so much that I'd like to buy one. The name on this one was Formosa. I don't know the first thing about this style of mandolin, except I was told this is based on an 800-year-old design. Can anybody give me some advice? I'm going to expand my horizon into Western European music. I currently play bluegrass, on a Gibson mandolin. I need some strong guidance. Thanks!
    Plami is right about the "800 year design." I take it that you are not actuaklly buying this Formosa, which sound like yet another Suzuki-built bowlback with another name. I have seen those with Kent and Conqueror. They are not bad if you want to start on bowlbacks but there are better options. Since you already play a Gibson, you are probably used to higher quality anyway.

Take a look at this page for many of the contemporary bowlback makers. I am not sure what price range you are looking. Eastman makes a new bowlback for about $1800USD. It looks like a decent instrument tho I have not personally played one.

Caterina plays a German-style mandolin which is actually much different than some of the more conventional bowlbacks. Hers wouold be considerably more and higher quality than the Formosa, I am sure.

For American vintage bowlbacks look for the following in good oplayable condition: Vega, Martin, Washburn. Italian makes: DeMeglio, Puglisi, Calace, Embergher, Vinaccia (the last three being the most desirable and therefore most expensive). Also, if you are in the US you are probably more likely to come across the US makes whereas the Italian ones are more common in Europe. BTW these older mandolins should always be strung with extra light strings.Bluegrass gauge strings will destroy them.

You may get a deal on eBay on one of these but it is very difficult to tell from the postings what condition these actually are. You are probably better off buying from a store where you can try it out.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Kim, I may be piling on to what is already good advice, but seeing as that you are from Tejas, I feel a bit obligated..... And we bowlback aficionados might feel starved for attention, so if we sense a new member of the 'cult' then all the more reason to weight in.

If you are looking for a vintage bowlback, the short list that Jim provided is an excellent resource. American made bowlbacks from the early 20th c. remain the non plus ultra value in the mandolin world. Washburn, Vega, certain Lyon and Healy lines can be purchased for astonishingly low prices. Martin made excellent bowlbacks across their complete spectrum from student models to high end pieces. The Martin name will command a premium of course. They all typically feature outstanding woods, solid construction, good craftspersonship and more than decent sound. Are they up to the levels of the higher end Italian makes from the period? Of course not, but they can be readily found at 1/10 of the cost. As a way to test the waters of bowlback mandolins, they are a real value.

It is true, as stated, that the condition of the necks will be the key to their longevity. Bowlback necks have had a tendency to rotate upwards at the neck/bowl joint. Generally speaking, the American bowls tend to be a bit heftier, with more substantive neck woods and a somewhat lower failure rate (this being a broad assessment to be taken with a grain of salt.) But the beefier construction does take a bit of a toll on what our friend here Martin called the 'shimmering' sound of Italian bowlbacks. (A wonderful description.) That said, many Washburn mandolins regularly show up on the Ebay and with careful shopping and good communication with the seller can be purchased for well less than $200.

A lot of mid level Italian bowlbacks show up on ebay.uk, but high shipping costs and the dicier neck issues make that a tougher area to explore. Still, a broad array of decent Italian mandolins appear there, and more than a few of us have acquired nice mandolins that way.

I fear sounding prejudiced, but I would steer away from the Suzuki, et al market. I have played a few and the construction and sound was not up to par with what I had been led to think. I have not played one of the new Eastman models, but by all accounts they seem very very sound. Their whole approach seems to be much much different with a real focus on quality rather than image or marketing.

My tres centavos.

Mick

Thank you to everybody, so very much. I appreciate the guidance. I knew I could get some good information here, because I do want to make an informed decision before I make a purchase. And thanks for the tip about not using bluegrass strings... I could tell that the strings were very dainty and light on the Formosa that I played the other night. Thanks again for all the tips.
    Kim Roulias

... and please do feel welcome to visit us in the "Classical, Etc." section of the Cafe, where bowlback matters are discussed routinely.

Unlike Mick, I'm sorry to say I can claim no "Texan connection"; your last name, however, does strike me as plausibly Greek.

Best of luck to you!

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Quote Originally Posted by vkioulaphides View Post
    ... and please do feel welcome to visit us in the "Classical, Etc." section of the Cafe, where bowlback matters are discussed routinely.

Unlike Mick, I'm sorry to say I can claim no "Texan connection"; your last name, however, does strike me as plausibly Greek.

Best of luck to you!

Cheers,

Victor
    Yes, I will visit the Classical section, for sure. Thank you for the invite. Yes, my surname is Greek--as is yours, undoubtedly! I have been invited to play mandolin on a regular basis at a Greek restaurant here in Dallas, and I feel that my Gibson Goldrush just won't cut it on the sound that I want. Too much bass.
    Kim Roulias

I know what you mean... While I am no salesman (for ANY type of mandolin), I dare say that bowlbacks are in general brighter-sounding than most other mandolins-- assuming, of course, that they are strung appropriately.

But I will not belabor this point here. If inclined to join us, you are most warmly welcome at the Classical section, where such matters are discussed day in, day out. Also, far from being "exclusively" classical, said nook of the Cafe is frequented by such folkie mandolinists as Yours Truly. Music is an open world...

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Martin, Washburn, Vegas, show up regularly on Ebay and pop in and out of the Classifieds, but as Jim says the condition of the neck is key. Martins are pricier than the others, but they are also better made - I have several Vegas and Washingtons and one Martin which is superior to the the others. GHS Ultra light strings are the way to go with bowlbacks - unless you want to spend a lot for Italian import strings.