Thread: Beginner Camps

Default Beginner Camps

Anyone had any experience, as a beginner, going to any of the bluegrass camps? I've been looking into the Kauffman camp, but am very wary of the definition of "beginner." After a recent festival with some workshops, I left very frustrated. So, other than lessons, I figure one of these camps would be a good experience. Comments?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Beginner Camps

Here's my experience at Camp Bluegrass. I took the begineer intermediate course because I wanted some fundamentals. My playing is a lot better for it.
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars

This was the first time I read your account, that was great! I'm heading to my second Monroe camp in Owensboro this year and can vouch for having personal teaching at the level you describe.

Blog Entries

I was at Kaufman Mandolin Kamp last year, and I had so much fun that I'm going back this summer. I had a blast and it gave me great motivation and inspiration for improvement. I'm still using the materials distributed in the handbook. The instructors are top notch and seem genuinely interested in helping you to progress; most of the campers are friendly and helpful too. There's jamming all over the place. The concerts every night are amazing. If you try and do everything offered (not really possible), you will leave exhausted, but with a smile on your face. Do a "Kaufman Kamp" search, and you will find several threads describing and discussing it.

Are you concerned that you are too advanced to be in the beginner class or that you are not advanced enough?

Check this out too-- http://acoustickamp.ning.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pickloser View Post
    I was at Kaufman Mandolin Kamp last year, and I had so much fun that I'm going back this summer. I had a blast and it gave me great motivation and inspiration for improvement. I'm still using the materials distributed in the handbook. The instructors are top notch and seem genuinely interested in helping you to progress; most of the campers are friendly and helpful too. There's jamming all over the place. The concerts every night are amazing. If you try and do everything offered (not really possible), you will leave exhausted, but with a smile on your face. Do a "Kaufman Kamp" search, and you will find several threads describing and discussing it.

Are you concerned that you are too advanced to be in the beginner class or that you are not advanced enough?

Check this out too-- http://acoustickamp.ning.com/
    I am concerned about not being advanced enough. Though after reading the website, I don't think that will be a problem. I have signed up for one of Dr. Banjo's camps. I'm a wreck about that one. There's a whole list of things they want you to know before you get there. All this I, IV, VI stuff makes my brain hurt! I guess it's more a confidence thing and not wanting to hold anyone else back.

I've been to half a dozen or so organized workshops and several workshops at Festivals.

The organized ones are much more... organized. I usually am below the middle level of abilities in these and it can be very frustrating at times. I struggle with finding the melody and do not really know many fiddle tunes and instrumentals, which tend to dominate when you get in an instrument specific workshop.

I play 95% out of the chord position. The melody is in there, and I am much better than I used to be at finding it. Practice and persistence go a long way.

If you go to these with a list of what you want to learn, that might help you steer the level down closer to beginner. So dont be afraid to speak up and display your ignorance. There are probably several others that feel the same way, but are afraid to ask questions so as to not feel like they are holding up the rest of the class or feel dumb.

Festival workshops are very hit and miss, but you can again steer it a bit by having questions to ask.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

Quote Originally Posted by Wingher View Post
    Anyone had any experience, as a beginner, going to any of the bluegrass camps? I've been looking into the Kauffman camp, but am very wary of the definition of "beginner." After a recent festival with some workshops, I left very frustrated. So, other than lessons, I figure one of these camps would be a good experience. Comments?
    It has been my experience that festival "workshops" are very little more than an exhibition of the "teacher's" abilities, and an insight into what kind of instrument and gear they personally use. For an absolute beginner, I recommend (Dr. Banjo's) Pete Wernick's jam camp. It usually lasts two days. That was the most basic workshop I'd ever been to. As for chord changes... are you familiar with the I-IV-V pattern on the mandolin? That's an insider secret that you have to find out the hard way, but once you do, it will revolutionize the way you think about your mandolin. It makes it so much easier. I'm not sure why mandolin teachers don't tell people this from the beginning (or none of my teachers ever have). There are a couple of very basic patterns on your mandolin, that once you learn them, you can play in any key. Finding somebody to teach these patterns was the biggest struggle for me. Learning the patterns is what unlocks the mystery.

Camp Bluegrass in Texas is great. Love those guys. I personally enjoyed the food in the college cafeteria, and the accommodations, and you can't beat the price. Great instructors, for all levels, beginners to professionals. Roland won't be back this year, so I'm going to Nash Camp instead... that's where he will be. Good luck!
    Kim Roulias

Hello Wingher and welcome to the Cafe!

This stuff
    (All this I, IV, VI stuff makes my brain hurt!)
    will come in time and is VERY useful.

You've got to have patience...hours and hours of practice, study, and immersion in the genre will get you there if you want to get there bad enough. And lessons and Mando camps will accelerate the process.

Enjoy the journey!

On the subject of camps, I'm considering going to the Hill Country Acoustic Music Camp this year (in Kerrville, TX, since I live nearby). Has anyone else been? Is anyone else planning on going?

Their website is down for some reason, but it should be http://www.hcamp.org

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    On the subject of camps, I'm considering going to the Hill Country Acoustic Music Camp this year (in Kerrville, TX, since I live nearby). Has anyone else been? Is anyone else planning on going?

[/url]
    Some of my friends went there and they enjoyed it. It's a little more eclectic than Camp Bluegrass. My wife and I drove up for the Saturday night instructor concert. It was good but not near as well done as the Camp Bluegrass concerts. The picnic shelter with a stage venue just doesn't match up with the Tom T Hall performance venue. There's some overlap with Camp Bluegrass instructors.

Some of the people took this camp because the could commute and that seemed like a loss of effect. Total immersion away from home for the time was both beneficial and refreshing for me.
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars

Quote Originally Posted by Wingher View Post
    I am concerned about not being advanced enough. Though after reading the website, I don't think that will be a problem. I have signed up for one of Dr. Banjo's camps. I'm a wreck about that one. There's a whole list of things they want you to know before you get there. All this I, IV, VI stuff makes my brain hurt! I guess it's more a confidence thing and not wanting to hold anyone else back.
    Try a I, IV, V progression and it'll be easier on your ears and brain.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

Quote Originally Posted by earthsave View Post
    Try a I, IV, V progression and it'll be easier on your ears and brain.
    LOL, I was getting a bit worried that no one had picked that up!