Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cold Frosty Morning won the poll for August

benig,

great job on CFM!

wondered what kind of mando(s) you use on your recordings.

Alan
    Alan

I have an old - really old - Russian bowlback. My friend recently gave up playing the guitar and wanted to try the mandolin but she doesn't have much money. I e-mailed this instrument dealer and asked if he has some very cheap and simple mandolin. He can usually find something you ask for, since he has lots of contacts. He e-mailed me back and told me about this mandolin that he could sell for 200 SEK. so I brought it home a month ago, and after I had changed the strings the sound was beautiful. But I prefer my Washburn, I think it's difficult to play on a bowlback, it sort of flips away all the time, you have to hold on to it and if I have to do that, I can't play.
    Do you have a picture of yours?

Susanne,

I posted some photos in the picture forum a little while ago and they're still here.

Bowlbacks are a bit tricky to hold in the first instance, but you get used to it. The secret is to put them on your right thigh and elevate the right leg, either by crossing it over the left leg or by using a stool. That's the opposite of what I do for the F-style, where I elevate the left leg. A slip mat (e.g. chamois leather) is also useful.

Martin

OK, I've unconfused myself (a bit, at least).

Dave Hicks (plantecology04)

Dave --

The files I've uploaded are still at Yahoo. #Look in the folders for Cold Frosty Morning and for Fisher's Hornpipe in the "Files" area.

Uploading at Yahoo is the correct way, and I'm currently downloading your file. #Yours was put in the root directory, rather than the Cold Frosty Morning sub-directory, but as long as the file name is clear enough for Craig to know what the tune is and who posted it, I don't think that's a problem.

Martin
    PS: #Now listening to your version. #Very funky -- is it guitar, e-mando and keyboards, with a few amp effects thrown in? Anything else in the mix? #This is pretty much the direct opposite to my version, but great fun and really nicely played. #I'd never have thought that an old-time tune like CFM would lend itself to such an arrangement.

OK, Martin, I found the folder - how did I miss it the first time? (I went back in and moved the file over to the correct folder.)

Your version has great tone and brings out the modal sound. #Again, I really admire the tone you get out of the bowlback.

I'm not sure this tune really lent itself too well to my approach, but I like to change things up a bit. #Instruments are electric and acoustic guitar and electric mando. #The sitar-like drones are guitar harmonics played through a synth patch in the recorder.

wow, that's cool, Dave!!!!!!!!

Just uploaded my attempt at CFM, seems a bit boring after hearing Daves rendition.
    Roger - fiddlegit

three new version up on the MP page: martinjonas1969, fiddlegit, and plantecology04

thanks guys!! hope i can find time to listen soon

craig

I always love the sound of a fiddle!!! Nice job Fiddlegit!!!

Thanks Susanne, looking forward to hearing your version.
    Roger - fiddlegit

Dave ... freaking awesome man. That is by far the grooviest version of CFM I have ever heard. Killer.
    -- Mandorado --

Well I've posted my first attempt at recording that actually came out so I could hear it! CFM banjo, mando duet.

Mandolin is still pretty new to me compared to the banjo so the banjo takes the lead.
    best
    gw
    Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
    Favorite Mandolin of the week: 2013 Collings MF Gloss top.

Great!!!! It's nice to hear a banjo, that doesn't happen much in here. Lovely duet, it's really nice listening. My ears are smiling..

I just posted a recording of CFM...I hadn't ever heard the song until 5 days ago when I downloaded it; I like the way it sounds, tried to do some Audacity recordings last week, but kept bombing out. Then last night I threw one up on the microphone and am pretty pleased with how it turned out. Still having trouble with the 'B' part, but I'm working on it.

Jim

JGWoods (nebo52),

EXCELLENT! love the duet! the banjo and mando compliment each other very nicely on this tune. sound like something that should be on the Tim O'Brien CD "Song from the Mountain". that's one of my all time favorites. hope to hear more duets from you.

happy pickin',

craig

Thanks for the compliments! the banjo is great at hiding a lot of mando mistakes. I goofed when I recorded it in that I switched to a different pick at the last minute and didn't do a dry run. I lost a lot of smoothness in the runs, they stagger along but it is still the best recording I have made by a long way.

This project has been a great encouragement to me. Each month I learn the tune of the month, but this is the first one I got a good recording.
    Fishers hornpipe...can't do it at all.
    Red Haired Boy, pretty good when the month ended, but I didn't post it.
    CFM came together more quicly because I have played for years on the banjo.

best,
    jgwoods

JGWoods,

feel free to record and post cattle in the cane, sally goodin, red haired boy or anything else you record at any time. would love to hear those tunes with a little banjo.

thanks again for participating.

craig

Jimini_Pickit that's some mighty fast clean pickin', and I like the slides. I'm always looking to stick one in here and here but they usually don't come til I've played the tune a thousand times...

best
    jg woods

JGWoods,
    Thanks, I've been listening to alot of sources lately (especially a celtic fiddle CD a friend gave me) and was inspired to throw in those slides...I guess with the celtic music fresh in my brain, I approached the CFM song with that sort of celtic 'bounce' or 'drive' to it...I'm always amazed at how those players play that stuff so fast; I've got a fiddle, but can't hardly squeak out a note-- no frets!

Happy pickin'
    Jim

JGWoods,
    Man-o-man do I love the sound of clawhammer!

c3hammer,
    You're performance has a wonderfull, lonesome quality to it that really suits the tune.

plantecology,
    You're *out-there* dude! But, in the best possible way.

sjusk,
    I like yours best, as I'm just a sucker for straight, simple interpretations. You play that real nice.

- Benig

Benig, thank you.
    Your comment is a real nice birthday present, and it really comes as a surprise, as presents should do.
    I believe that other contributions on CFM has a lot more to offer, but allright, I confess: You made my day.

I have been celebrating my birthday messing with Annemarie Reel, and ended up with a bodhran in the second round. I´m not sure how the PC-mic liked it, but done is done: The reel should be in the Musing folder at the Yahoo Group by now.

JGWood: That is beautiful. I like it when someone can make a banjo sound smooth and mellow - you´re making poetry with that thing.

sjusk

I've really enjoyed the trad versions, especially those by Benignus, sjusk, jimini and JGWoods.

D.H. (Aka plantecology04)

I've really enjoyed everyone's recordings of the Frosty Morning, I can't single one out as my favourite as they are all different and have their individual musical merits. I can single one out as my least favourite though. Maybe I'll see if I can do better with a mandolin.
    Roger - fiddlegit

farmerf5,

you sure drive your songs! it sounds like you play real loose, too. i need to work on that. it's not easy to let the right hand (picking hand) control the song. i usually find my left hand dominating the speed and that screws up the rhythm. you just let it go. nice job.

thanks for the upload,

craig