Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nj cbom-o-rama Sat 3 October 2009 2pm-8pm

Default Nj cbom-o-rama Sat 3 October 2009 2pm-8pm

It's been a while since Karen's great 2006 CBOM-o-rama and I think it may be time for another tasting. This year I volunteer to hold the gathering at my place.

The idea: Get as many diverse CBOM instruments together for a tasting and a good time. We all know that these instruments are almost impossible to find in stores and so this grass-roots movement of a sampling will serve us all well. The 2006 gathering got us in the same room with handcrafted instruments from Australia, UK, Canada, the US and Asia.

The location: I am located outside of Princeton NJ (Hopewell to be specific) and will have good indoor/outdoor space ( a couple of acres in a nice country setting) to hang out. I think that we may be able to get people from at least NY/NJ/PA to show up - maybe even some longer distance travelers

Date/Time: I am thinking of very late Sept or very early Oct. I will come back later on with a more precise date, as I need to work out a pretty tight calendar. I suggest to hold it on a Saturday afternoon when we can stretch out with the least time pressure and allow people some travel time as well.

Please either post here or send me a PM/email with your interest and maybe an idea of what instrument you could bring. I know it's early but these things don't just happen without some planning. Interesting mandolins are always welcome, but I think the focus should be on the CBOM family.

If there is enough interest, then I will try my best to make it happen
    Last edited by JEStanek; Sep-06-2009 at 5:18pm. Reason: updated thread title with date and time
    Avi

Default Re: Nj cbom-o-rama

Awesome, Avi... I definitely want to participate... as long as the scheduling works (we'll have to watch out for the Jewish High Holidays).

I'd bring the Dean OM and my Otter #1... and maybe the guitar I built just to show it off... *(-;
    I imagine it won't be hard to convince Judith (who hosted the last one, although I did the organizing) to come and bring her Arches OM.

I'm looking forward to seeing who else comes out of the woodwork!
    C'mon CBOMers!
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Blog Entries

I'm totally in for this. The 2006 gathering was such a blast. Even if you're only a CBOM dabbler and of limited skill the tasting was a hoot. I got to meet and hang out with other folks who share the mando obsession. There was time for individual tasting, and several different jams and areas of just conversation. I brought my TC and the Eastman F4 copy and got to try a bunch of other instruments.

Hopefully, we can have a similar smattering of instruments again. I will once again show up with Chocolate Pie, a TC, and maybe some other intersting specimens. As an added bonus, I'll bring Café Case Stickers too! I'm really hoping to try some different mandolas this time. Thanks, Avi, this is a remarkable offer and service to the CBOMers in our region.

Jamie

PS. I'm willing to help with carpooling for people from the Pottstown/Reading/Allentown/Bethlehem region (I would shoot up to 78 then go over the mountains into Jersey).
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Blog Entries

This is really interesting to me. My brother lives in Princeton, which makes it convenient.

I would bring a pre-Gibson Flatiron pancake mandola. Pictures up on my picture album.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

In with an Old Wave OM and Old Wave mandola.

I would be in... as long as it isn't Oct. 2-4. That's the weekend of the Cape Cod Mandolin Camp and we're planning on making a vacation around that date.

A stop in NJ on the way up, or back would be pretty awesome!

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

Thanks so much for starting this Avi! I'm excited and I like the range of dates so far. Oboy.

At the moment all I'd have to bring is my beloved high-mileage Phil Crump bouzouki.
    But who knows what could happen by then...? I wish I could show you all the Brian
    Dean OM I had, but it is no longer mine and now lives in a happy home in glorious
    Oakland, California.

(mmmm... Aaaarrrrrcheeeessssss....)

Thanks!!

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

Quote Originally Posted by sliabhstv View Post
    (mmmm... Aaaarrrrrcheeeessssss....)

LOL!! When I read this it seemed to have a definited Homer Simpson "mmmmm dooonnnnuuuttss" vibe!!

Stv, it would be awesome to finally meet in person! Bring MIN!
    I'll see if I can convince Bill vanLiere and Shelley from Michigan to come too... they have said they love a road trip!

and btw-- as we get closer to the actual dates of the event, if there are folks coming in from distances who need places to stay overnight, I'm willing to help with that.

KE
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

stv - I REALLY hope you can come for many reasons. It's about time!

I'm encouraged by the responses so far - It can be a great day and a very rare opportunity to play some extraordinary instruments and of course socialize

Please send me your email addresses so that I can put together a mailing list.

Karen and Jamie - thanks for offering help. Very generous of you. We'll get our heads together and see what's needed when it gets closer

Let's keep the momentum going
    Avi

<<Please send me your email addresses so that I can put together a mailing list.>>

I think you know where to find me, Avi... *(-;
    And I think we're gonna need a planning day... in kayaks perhaps? oh yeah!
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes Karen.....a team building outing is in order, according to the Board of Advisors
    Avi

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

Karen sez, "When I read this it seemed to have a definited Homer Simpson "mmmmm dooonnnnuuuttss" vibe!!"

I feel so ... transparent ...

And... "Stv, it would be awesome to finally meet in person! Bring MIN!"

The notion of going that far from home (like ... past the corner...) without her is unthinkable.

I haven't briefed her on this yet, just a passing mention. Grandaughter Kalynn (almost
    three, going on sixteen) has been here and substantive conversations about stuff like travel
    were not to happen. I'll talk with her about it tonight, send her this thread.

Avi, it's past time. Since the Great Gas Price Strangle we've kept our wanderings (tho regular)
    very local and limited. I have permanent wanderlust anyway, but I think this trip is one that
    we gotta do. We'll assess the liklihood of any impediments tonight and tomorrow (I have a rehearsal tonight, too... )

Many thanks, friends!

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    This is really interesting to me. My brother lives in Princeton, which makes it convenient.

I would bring a pre-Gibson Flatiron pancake mandola. Pictures up on my picture album.
    Well, you have no excuse then
    Avi

Registered User Richard Singleton's Avatar

Sounds wonderful to me, would like to meet all you good folk. I would bring my 84 Flatiron 3K octave.
    Richard Singleton

I'm at least interested, though it's a trek from Rochester NY. I would (possibly) bring up to six instruments, if the schedule worked...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I would like to attend if I can get the day off of work. I'm into vintage Gibson stuff and could bring my K-1 and K-4 mandocellos as well as a Gibson Mandobass and perhaps a few other goodies.

Phil

Richard - excellent!

Allen - Being interested is the necessary first step. We'll "get you there"

Phil -mandocellos!! Awesome! Mandobass!!!! Work schedule: See, that's why I started this thing in March - plenty of time to rearrange life a bit
    Avi

I'd be interested in attending, though I'm not a great player by any means. That is, if a tenor guitar is enough to get one in the door. Not a CBOM per se I know, but we used to share this section of the forum...
    James

If we can make it, I'll have my Crump guitar-bodied Zouk. Hopefully, my Rozawood OM will be tagging along.

Phil C. will be well represented!

Come to think of it, if we are in route to/from the CCMC, I'll probably have a mando, or two. It looks as though I will be pulling some Bass duty at the camp, so I may have my Azola along for the ride.

Now, how I fit all this stuff into the xB?!?!?
    Last edited by Gerry Cassidy; Mar-25-2009 at 8:49am. Reason: Illiteracy!

James - tenor guitars are welcome and so are you. I'm not excluding anyone. Just trying to have some focus. Also - there will be no auditions at the door so have no fear. This is about our community and the instruments. Everyone has something to contribute, whether they know it or not
    Avi

Great. I really hope I can make it then! It's very generous of you to host this Avi.
    James

Quote Originally Posted by otterly2k View Post
    Stv, it would be awesome to finally meet in person! Bring MIN!
    I'll see if I can convince Bill vanLiere and Shelley from Michigan to come too... they have said they love a road trip!

KE
    I have been in New Jersey one time before but still have a memory of it. I flew on an econojet with no service into Newark. Feeling thirsty after the flight, I stood in the cafeteria line and asked for chocolate milk. The answer I recieved was "NOPE, NEXT." It might be nice to gain another memory of The Garden State.

I could bring my 1989 Stephen Owsley Smith octave along and see if it can keep up with some of the younger builds present. I also could bring along my wife Shelly for some Irish flute and whistle, as most people seem to like her more than me.

Sounds like a great time following a long drive. Date?

BVL
    Bill

Bill - that would be awesome! I'm still looking at the dates but it will be something like the last weekend of Sept or first weekend of Oct. I will know more soon and will post here. Trust me when I tell you that where I live bears no resemblance to Newark.
    Avi

Now, Bill... it's hardly fair to judge a whole state by its airport. And may I remind you that I spent 2 months in your fair Michigan in a "college town" that had NO bookstore! *sheesh*

Anyway... you know we'll make it worth the trip!
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My mother never refered to that as a college town. Not even a book store to go along with all those brick buildings, believable.

OK, now I am in trouble with anyone from Big Rapids along with NJ (Edgerton is not around is he?)

This fall sounds great for date.

B
    Bill