Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2009 CMSA Convention

Default Re: 2009 CMSA Convention

Drat!

We worked for a week trying to find all the bugs

I passed this information on to the web-meister to track it down.

Thanks for letting us know about the problems!

We do have the official Welcome Letter and Registration Materials on the CMSA website. Go to the website, click on Features, click on Upcoming Convention News, and you will find the link.

The Welcome Letter includes a bunch of good information.

If you want to register for the convention by mail, just download the Registration Forms and send them in.
    Lou Chouinard

To all -

On-line registration has been up and running for a couple of days now.

If you were unsuccessful before, please try again.

I have my fingers crossed that we have banished all the process gremlins
    Lou Chouinard

fyi,
    The website continues to not work for me, either from home or
    work computers.
    I'll snail mail the forms today.

The online forms worked for me. Perhaps it's a browser issue. I'm running Firefox on a Mac, FWIW.
    David Westwick.

Online worked for me, too. Music looks great, but I wondered if anyone has a source recording for the Rondo Vulgaris by Srdjan Ribarovic; can't seem to find out much about it, especially in English! Thanks, Yvonne
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

Here's the Welcome Letter with lots of information.

WELCOME TO THE CMSA CONVENTION 2009
    DAYTON, OHIO
    Playing the “Wright” Stuff

The Classical Mandolin Society of America and this year’s host, the Dayton Mandolin Orchestra, invites you to attend the 23rd Annual CMSA Convention – October 28-November 1, 2009 at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in downtown Dayton, Ohio.

Features of this year’s convention include:

• 2009 En Masse Orchestra
    o Dr. Jim Bates conducting
    • Dayton Mandolin Orchestra
    o Mr. Dave Voyles conducting
    • Performances by
    o Marilynn Mair with Bob Martell
    o The Don Stiernberg Trio
    o Annika Luckebergfeld with Fabian Hinsche
    • 9th Annual Norman Levine CMSA Playing Contest
    • 6th Annual Mandolin Instructor’s Workshop • Open Microphone Performances
    • Gala Buffet Banquet
    • Vendors
    • Seminars and Workshops
    • Jamming
    • Networking

The convention will begin at 11:00 a.m. on Wednesday, October 28 and conclude at noon on Sunday, November 1.

To register on-line or to get additional convention information, go to: www.classicalmandolinsociety.org

To register by mail: Fill out all the enclosed forms and send them to the CMSA mail box listed on the registration forms.

Early registration rates end on Monday, September 28. Save $50 by registering early!

Hotel Information: Crowne Plaza Hotel, 33 East Fifth Street, Dayton, OH 45402
    You can make hotel reservations at the CMSA Convention Rate of $109 / night until October 6, 2009. For on-line reservations, go to https://resweb.passkey.com/go/CMSA or call 1-888-233-9527.

Any full-time student is encouraged to apply for a CMSA Convention Scholarship. For information, go to www.classicalmandolinsociety.org

If you would like to be a convention volunteer, please send an email to Kathryn Hitchcock at DMO@DaytonMandolin.net.

We look forward to seeing you at this year’s convention!

The CMSA Convention Committee
    The Dayton Mandolin Orchestra

I just succeeded in using the online registration and it worked great.

I'm wondering now who else reading this message is going to be at the '09 convention? I can make some educated guesses but I'd rather see some confirmations.

Don't be shy, stand up and be counted!

John G.

I registered online on Sept 18, about 2:50 EDT

3 out of 7 members of the Hampton Roads Mandolin Ensemble will be attending.
    John Kasley
    Williamsburg, VA

I'll be there, playing mandola this year.

I believe the Dayton Mandolin Orchestra has 6 mandolins, a guitar, 2 mandolas, a mandocello and a bass on tap to play....I'm really looking forward to it. I went to school with Jim Bates, the En Masse Orchestra Conductor, way back in '81 and haven't seen him since! Even with my experiences with AMGuSS, this will be a much bigger Orchestra, so WOW!!! Yvonne
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

The Kalamazoo Mandolin/Guitar Orchestra has 4 mandolins, 2 dolas, 2 guitars and a mandocello registered so far. The National Mandolin Orchestra of Turkmenistan is also expected to put in an appearance.

Just kidding about the Turkmenistan part. But it COULD happen....

The registrations for the 2009 CMSA Convention in Dayton Ohio are going strong. Thanks to everyone who has already registered.

In an effort to make the Dayton convention on of our biggest yet, CMSA is extending the Early Registration Period until midnight on Tuesday, October 6.

You have another week to register for the convention and save $50

October 6 is also the deadline for making hotel reservations. (https://resweb.passkey.com/go/CMSA or 1-888-233-9527)

I look forward to seeing you in Dayton!
    Lou Chouinard

If anyone can provide sources for recordings of any of the en masse music I would be very appreciative.
    John Kasley
    Williamsburg, VA

I have not found the Ribarovic Rondo Vulgaris, altho' it is available on an imported CD, nor the Waltz for Bill Monroe WITH MANDO ORCHESTRA altho' there are many recordings of it in other media especially by Butch himself. But Prelude Sinfonico and the Mandonico Music for Play are both available on You Tube. My copy key doesn't work, so someone else PLEASE PUT UP THE LINKS! The two Bob Martel pieces have been recorded by the Providence Mandolin Orchestra on Songs Without Words. Does that help? If anyone finds an easy way to get ahold of the Rondo Vulgaris, please post it here--THANKS! Yvonne

Great news!

Due to a change in ownership and the economy, the Crowne Plaza hotel in Dayton Ohio has lowered their daily room rates.

Even better news!

They have agreed to share this with CMSA by lowering our negotiated convention rate from $109 to $99 per night.

If you have already made your reservations using the CMSA rate, you are all set. You don’t have to do anything to receive the lower rate.

If you made reservations not using the CMSA rate, please change your reservations to the CMSA rate. We have a number of contractual requirements based on the number of rooms booked under the CMSA rate.

If you were still on the fence about attending the Dayton convention, this is another reason to be there
    Lou Chouinard

Even more Late Breaking News –

Due to the recent decrease in the CMSA negotiated room rate to $99 / night, the Crowne Plaza hotel in Dayton has extended our cut off date for the new negotiated rate until Thursday, October 15.

If you have already registered for the convention but haven't made your hotel reservations, please make your hotel reservations now.

If you haven’t registered for the convention yet, you still have time to take advantage of the Early Registration discount rates and the CMSA hotel room rate.
    Lou Chouinard

Ugh! This is comparably close to me, but I doubt I will be able to attend.

Are only registered CMSA members allowed to attend or is it open to the public? On a tangental note, what are the benefits of joining?
    2009 Calace Model 24

Quote Originally Posted by JMJ_coder View Post
    Ugh! This is comparably close to me, but I doubt I will be able to attend.

Are only registered CMSA members allowed to attend or is it open to the public? On a tangental note, what are the benefits of joining?
    Hi Christopher,

There are many benefits to CMSA membership. Just to name a few . . .
    The CMSA holds terrific annual conventions and workshops; the excitement of playing in the en mass orchestra. CMSA provides access to top notch teachers and education programs, and provides access to music composed for mandolin and mandolin family of instruments. CMSA provides you an opportunity to interact with, hear and learn from world class musicians. The CMSA not only affords its members an opportunity to meet kindred spirits and to gain life long friends, but joining the CMSA affords an opportunity to improve your technique, tone quality, tremolo, duo style, no matter what type of music one wishes to play or learn. Join the CMSA and become a better mandolin player and better musician. The Classical Mandolin Society of America also delivers an exciting newsletter four times a year with your $35.00 membership. It's just one of the many good reasons for belonging to our organization. Articles are submitted by CMSA members and include everything from record reviews to technique tips and convention information to instrument care. It's a mandolin players dream! I encourage you to join the CMSA and attend the convention.

Jonathan (CMSA Vice President)

"Music is my mistress and she plays second fiddle to no one." Duke Ellington

One last time - it is getting late if you want to take advantage of the CMSA rate at the Dayton Crowne Plaze hotel.

October 15 is the deadline. Information on how to make reservations is in a posting above.
    Lou Chouinard

I'm one of the Daytonians...wondering what people will be jamming. Any world music out there? I have a bass domra and was wondering if anyone would be doing any ethnic stuff so I could use it (altho' my mandocello does equally well) or if it would do any good to bring my fiddle either....I know anyone flying in won't have room to bring anything extra. If anyone needs a loaner instrument, let me know, I have some other things, too. Yvonne, your Registration guru.
    I am SO looking forward to this--it's my first CMSA!!!

If past CMSA conventions are any guide, the type of jams will depend upon who shows up. There have been bluegrass jams worthy of BG festivals, jazz complete with fake books for all, the expected classical jams where you sightread music placed in front of your head, and some ethnic (e.g., French Canadian, Irish) stuff, too. You just never know, and to me, that's another reason that it's fun.

If you live close by it shouldn't be a problem, in that you can find out pretty quickly what people are into, and grab some appropriate instrumentation for the remaining evenings.

Got any "World Music" music? Bring it on!

Wish I could make it this year...but it's just not in the cards for me. I'll keep my fingers crossed for 2010!

Dues sent, however!

We'll miss you. I, on the other hand, will probably not make it 2010, unless I have a BIG change in my finances. Too far away. But I can hope for a change....
    Yvonne

Registered User Tracy Ballinger's Avatar

Had the pleasure of attending the concert last night, and perusing the vendors' wares this morning. Fabulous!

The Dayton Mandolin Orchestra

Annika Luckebergfeld & Fabian Hinsche

Registered User Tracy Ballinger's Avatar

Next set of pics:

Marilynn Mair & Robert Martel

Don Stiernberg, Jim Cox (bass) & Larry Harris (piano)